Sign in to follow this  
MTNBYKR

Favorite sled of all time?

What is your favorite snowmobile of all time?  And why?

I'm sure it's no surprise to those of you that know me, but mine is the 1972 Ski-Doo TNT.  My Dad had one when I was a kid, and I remember spending countless hours sitting in front of him, hanging on to the middle of the handlebars looking through that yellow windshield.  And I always loved the looks of it with the white stripe down the front.  It was no doubt the machine that made me fall in love with snowmobiling.

I know most of you have seen it, but here's mine.  Sometimes when I ride it, I crouch down and look through the windshield, just to reminisce... 

So what's your favorite???

IMG_1120.jpg

Elan's, I guess because I had one when I was a kid.  It was a 1972, I got it as a Christmas gift when I was 11 or 12.  I clearly remember my Dad showing me how to rebuild the carb, I have been a gear head since.  We also had a 72 Nordic and 69 Olympic.  I would like to track down our old machines and restore them regardless of the condition.  The Oly had "HERS" written on the hood with electrical tape.  It is a fixed light hood with the deluxe bumper.  It had a couple other distinctions that would help me identify it from other Olys.  The Nordic did not have any distinctive traits except for black skis and the seat may have been recovered.  It was the first snowmobile I rode on, I was only 3.  My Dad had a small bell on the key chain, the kind you would clip to a fishing pole.  The bell would ring whenever we went over large bumps.  I have put a bell on every snowmobile I have own, it just does not sound the same without one.  

My son will enjoy an Elan too, I have one waiting for him.

This is tough for me, I learned to ride on a 72 Olympic and a 70 Nordic. The first sled I bought with my own money was a 72 Olympic. So I have a big soft spot for them, but I think I will go have to go with the 1981 Yamaha SS440. From the first time I saw it in snowmobile magazine I fell in love with it. Then in 1989 it was the first "modern" snowmobile I bought, god I loved that sled. I had to sell it for money for college, which sucked. But I sold it to my brother in law so I still got to see it. I did end up with an 85 SS440 later on. Always loved the 1986 Ski-Doo formula SP as well.....so many sleds it's hard to pick one....

p.s. Hey Mike why do you always show the Olympic with the headlight up? Just curious.

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

My favorite sled is the one I own now ...2016 1200 Renegade

best riding sled I have ever ridden,  quiet & comfortable  ... the old bombers were fun but just cant compare to the new tech

New tech. = big bucks. (I do agree though)

1 hour ago, Nor'easter said:

... the old bombers were fun but just cant compare to the new tech

2 hours ago, Nor'easter said:

the old bombers were fun but just cant compare to the new tech

I wouldn't know LOL!

Easy.  Not only a great sled, but during great times...actually best times of my life.  I was 13 and lucky enough to have the most refined sled of its day...most expensive too. I can thank my Uncle for hooking us kids up with this screamer. We had a bunch of other sled in the yard during this era but the 4/6 was always near and dear. This machine has a motocross dirt bike type power-band which is just a hoot.  Fine handling and a good ride with sharp looks.  My only complaint was its thirst for gas and a windshield that did nothing but look good.  

HPIM1494rdcd.JPG

14 hours ago, snorander said:

p.s. Hey Mike why do you always show the Olympic with the headlight up? Just curious.

Steve, the bracket where the headlight pivots under the hood is broken on one side.  I have a crude home-made repair on it and it still goes up and down, but I try to not move it around too much so I don't push my luck.  Since I ride the sled and need the headlight sometimes, I just leave it up.

Love the stories and the pics guys!  Keep em coming!  They don't have to be old sleds.  Just whatever is your favorite...

I think my favorite would have to be my '03 Firecat F7. It didn't handle worth a damn, but it sure was fun when you pushed the flipper.

I had a 1974 Sno Jet Astro Jet 440. Awesome sled in my early teens, and it had slide suspension! I also loved the old Mach 1, I'm still sad I lost it in a barn fire. Before and after :(

13862d1285545746-let-work-begin-mach-1.jpg

P1020106.JPG

@smallengineguy...That's a painful pic to look at.:(

My 92 Mach 1 and 89 Wildcat are still in the barn.  Clocked a lot of fun-filled miles on those sleds!

1129151227a.jpg

1129151841.jpg

I'm going to buy another mint condition one someday. And just sit on it, and make brroomm noises.

On 11/16/2016 at 9:00 PM, snorander said:

This is tough for me, I learned to ride on a 72 Olympic and a 70 Nordic. The first sled I bought with my own money was a 72 Olympic. So I have a big soft spot for them, but I think I will go have to go with the 1981 Yamaha SS440. From the first time I saw it in snowmobile magazine I fell in love with it. Then in 1989 it was the first "modern" snowmobile I bought, god I loved that sled. I had to sell it for money for college, which sucked. But I sold it to my brother in law so I still got to see it. I did end up with an 85 SS440 later on. Always loved the 1986 Ski-Doo formula SP as well.....so many sleds it's hard to pick one....

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

I had the same 1985  Yamaha SS440 loved that sled .

Another fav of mine, 1982 Kawasaki Interceptor 550...I need to hit Powerball LOL

http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/snw/5880421364.html

00A0A_dpbevjIuKip_600x450.jpg

Edited by snorander

Probably my 72 and 73 Nitros that were very good to me back when new, and even better to me 40 something years later, going around in circles. More fun per buck than most anything else I ever had.  Always seemed to be people following me though.............

pathB)finder#6

DSCF0106.JPG

DSCF0111.JPG

013010109b.jpg

02191125.jpg

Hands down the F7 .........If I hadn't stuffed it id still be running it today. it took me 2 years after I crashed it before I would let it out of the garage .My old indy  was loud and a pig on gas but the sweet sound of a piped triple spooling up when running down the lake.....ohhh that sound. everything else about it sucked.. Honorable Mention goes to the 01 Panther not fast but great on gas and a perfect trail sled when my son was younger and riding on the back..... put a ton of local miles on it  only got 1500 for it when I traded it for the F7.gilford.jpgloudon.jpgpitts.jpg

On 11/16/2016 at 9:00 PM, snorander said:

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

I still have my 440SS and I am probably going to sell it this winter...maybe I will let you take it for a ride at camp.

Favorite sled ..... hmmmm ... that is a tough one .....

I guess it would have to be my 2005 MZX adrenaline ... fast enough for me and took all the punishment I could give it. Which even included hitting a railroad splice plate and probably the worse crash I have ever taken on a sled or motorcycle. It also help me lead many great Rob Rides and meet so, so many great people to sled with. Even thou it only had 4,000 miles on it ... it saw trails from Hollis to Keene, from Bow up through Boscawen, Newfound Lake, Rumney, Stitson Mtn, Mt. Kearsage, Mt. Moseiluc, Baker River, Lyme and Lebannon, then also a few trips up to Pitts and all way down to Diamond Pond. Lastly ... it actually helped with my recovery from Cancer treatment because I so looked forward to ride it again afterward. This year I hope to be able to re-live some of the riding I use to do on my STILL brand new 2016 900 ACE Blizzard ;-)

Rob ....

My first sled was a '97 Ski Doo Grand Touring. it was a tank, but I loved it because it was my first. Then in November '04 I bought a 2004 MXZ Rev. I very quickly forgot all about that Grand Touring. I just sold the '04 last year, only because I got sick of cleaning the carb every year. F&$*%&$in Ethanol.

i thought it was my 07 phazer fx but now i think its my 15 ace 900, and dont think i just started ridding ive had a ton of sleds, first one was a 64 skee horse, i almost went with my third fave, ss440

1 hour ago, nhgator said:

15420829_1183579488394628_97997272838196

I love all old sleds,my new favourite is this 1982 John Deere Spitfire I snagged for free off Craigslist last night.

nice find :drinks: