Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

King snowmobiles

I came across the website for Nashua Sports & Cycle where they're offering the King brand of snowmobile. It's described as a mid-sized sled, between the full-sized adult sleds and the min-sleds (120cc). It has a 250cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke making 14.5hp, electric start, and reverse. List price is $5300 for short-track and $5600 for long-track.

I see a lot of posts here from people looking for kid's sled, but I don't know how many want to pay $5300 for a sled with less than 15hp. I know, that's what the early sleds had for power, and lots of kids had lots of fun on them.

About the cheapest sled I've heard about is the Arctic Cat Lynx 2000: $6500 with a 565cc 2-stroke with electric start and reverse. But, that 565cc makes close to 70hp, and that might be too much for kids.

King is made in China and imported by a Canadian company.

Maybe King will make it, but my concern would be what happens if they don't. Imports are only as good as the local support system.

If it's anything like the Chinese import dirt bikes, pocket bikes, and 4 wheelers, you can keep them.

The ones I saw looked OK. They don't seem to be able to get past some regulations, and get a dealer network going. If they can get started, we will see how well they hold up. If they can develop a decent reputation, I would think there is a market for that product.

The issue is getting parts and service .... we know the big 4 are going to be around! Also, resale will be a problem.

ypu chinese rubbish

The Chinese are making big moves into the lawn& garden equipment business, especially with motors for lawnmowers, snowblowers, generators, etc. Even if the brand is Honda, Kohler, or B&S, it may very well be built in China. These engines are good, and the local support for them is as good as the company that imports them. The Chinese will make either a quality product or rubbish, it depends on how much the buyer is willing to pay.