rickzach

Snows on a 4WD sled trailer tow vehicle?

My wife just purchased a 2014 Tundra mid-sized 4WD pickup. She will use it as her daily driver commuting to work and I will use it for a weekend sled towing vehicle.

I have always put snows on my winter vehicles but what are the opinions out there? The truck already comes with what looks like semi-aggressive all-weather tires with good siping.

Snows or no snows?

post-729-0-44295500-1386523978_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickzach

I've never put snows on any 4wd vehicle I've owned (mostly s-10 blazers) and I've never had a problem.

Nokia Hukkapelitta are hands down the the best snow tire out there for great traction Four mounted and balanced are between 800 and 900. I used to get them at Concord Tire its now Vanguard but i'm sure you can find them in Laconia I promise you will not be disappointed and after you have them you to will know and will always use them better safe than SORRY

Looks like a Tacoma, great truck, good luck, I've got 95000 miles on a 2009. Just had my first problem, a burnt out dash light bulb. I get 19-20 miles a gallon daily driving, only 11 to 12 while towing. Only bad thing is No outside mirror defrosters. I got 40000 miles out of the BFG tires (ATs')and they were worn out. Didn't need snow tires. I put on Michelins ATs' and have 45000 miles on them and they are only half worn out

Thanks all. Looks like no snows then.

If I did, I would have most likely gone with Bridgestone Blizzak series. Had them on other cars, with excellent results. A specialty tire because they have two coats. The top 55% is a spongy, very soft rubber that grips. Once worn down to 45%, they become regular snows. The major downside is that due to the soft rubber, they only last a few seasons.

I had a special snow tire application from 2008 that was for a very unusual purpose but it actually worked and worked well as it was my only car. I was going through (and will always be going through) mid-life crisis!

post-729-0-58128400-1386545516_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickzach

> 19-20 mpg daily driving

That was still a big if but no longer based on your experience. Thanks.

I am expecting 10-12 while towing as well.

Nokia Hukkapelitta are hands down the the best snow tire out there for great traction Four mounted and balanced are between 800 and 900. I used to get them at Concord Tire its now Vanguard but i'm sure you can find them in Laconia I promise you will not be disappointed and after you have them you to will know and will always use them better safe than SORRY

Yup! The best snow tire out there! I ran those on my Subaru when I commuted from Concord NH to Mass.

I buy dedicated snow tires/rims for my cars/trucks for the following reasons:

1. Vanity: the salt does a number on aluminum wheels. And toyotas generally are worse than other manufactures, the stock rims will corrode within a few years.

2. Although all terrain tires will do fine in the snow, dedicated snow tires do perform better.

3. Money: in the end the cost of a set of snow tires/wheels is not that great. Your "summer" tires will "last" longer, simply because they are not being used the entire year.

Look at this way do you wear you Work Boots to go sledding sure they will work but are they Better than Snowmobile Boots?,better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them and yes the Bridgestone's are nice to.

Edited by WICKED

I've never put snows on any 4wd vehicle I've owned and I've never had a problem.

Maybe some AT tires will a good choice

Its not so much as having a problem as it is having the best possible traction you can, and that can only be done with true snow tires untill you have tried them you will never know.I know of 2 very young women that lost there lives,because there dad thought all seasons meant snow tires,i'm not saying they would have saved there lives but maybe when they drifted into the center line where there was slush there car may not have lost control and got broadsided by a suv so my question is 900 dollars worth your life?There called snow tires for a reason look at it this way is your sled studded if so why,so if it is for added traction why would you not want it for your Car or Truck?

The worst trail damage i've seen is always caused by someone who's not studded and thinks if ok to blow out all the corners.Groomers spend man hours out there to have it all ruined by one person with out studs in no time at all.Not saying this is you but just saying.The point i was trying to make was two lives were lost because someone thought all season's were good enough.Just today a young driver 17 yrs old lost his life due to ice, he had all season tires,again if he had studded snow tires he may still be alive but go ahead and drink up cause i'm sure it will never happen to you better safe than sorry

been driving since 1970 ( 16 years old ) and have always have

never used Winter only tires. I have always had the BGF T/A KO's

on EVERY 4wd vehicle we have own. On my Wife's Avalanche

we tried the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 but they got the

rubber cracking after only a few years. Complainted to the place

I bought them and to Bridgestone and neither did anything.

She now has General Grabber AT2 and is very happy with them.

I have had three Dodge pickup's ( present one has a plow ) and

two Ramcharger's with a total mileage well over 500,000 miles between

them all and they all ran the BFG's and NEVER got stuck or slid

off the road in snow. Alot depends on the driver and not the tires.

You drive carelessly and no tire will help you ....

Rob ....

Edited by skully

The worst trail damage i've seen is always caused by someone who's not studded and thinks if ok to blow out all the corners.Groomers spend man hours out there to have it all ruined by one person with out studs in no time at all.Not saying this is you but just saying.The point i was trying to make was two lives were lost because someone thought all season's were good enough.Just today a young driver 17 yrs old lost his life due to ice, he had all season tires,again if he had studded snow tires he may still be alive but go ahead and drink up cause i'm sure it will never happen to you better safe than sorry

Snow tires are no better than regular tires on ice. Studs help for as long as they last, but that is usually less than one season. I don't think that studs are even legal on NH highways.(oops, they are legal)

I would agree that snow tires with a very agressive tred are marginally better than all season tires in deep snow or slush. A very agressive all season will come close, especially if it has a narrow profile. Simply slowing down a bit and allowing more distance is just as effective, and less noisy on clear asphalt.

Edited by metaluc

Been in the tire buiness 45 yrs unstudded snow tires and way better than regular tires on ice reason being as Mr Rickzach posted in a earlier post that the tire compound is much softer thus giving you better grip and traction hands down a new set of Blizzark or Nokia'a are not even in the same class as regular tires in the snow or ice

Been in the tire buiness 45 yrs unstudded snow tires and way better than regular tires on ice reason being as Mr Rickzach posted in a earlier post that the tire compound is much softer thus giving you better grip and traction hands down a new set of Blizzark or Nokia'a are not even in the same class as regular tires in the snow or ice

I'll admit that the last time I had snowtires mounted on my vehicle was probably 45 years ago. Seemed to me at the time they were not worth the bother. But material science has changed a lot in that timeframe. A friend of mine swears by the Nokia's. I thought they just made cell phones!

Wish I could see some test data. I am more swayed by that than anecdotal evidence.

I run two sets of rims/tires.

20" in the summer (stock on the truck) and 18" Studded snows (cooper Discoverer) for the sled season. I tow a 4 place that has a big footprint and when it gets slick, short of chains, you can't beat studded snows. Traction pulling is seldom the problem, it is traction stopping or swerving when towing a large/heavy load that counts.

The last few years I can remember MANY times when it was icy on trips. The last time we went up to the burg in March there was trucks off the road all the way up. I have never seen so many vehicles off the road on a trip.

The studded snows generally last 4 seasons and my summer tires tend to go 3 seasons. The summer tires are much more comfortable, quiet and handle better than the snows or all seasons for that matter. I have had the same set of 18" rims (winter) for my last 3 trucks.

If you tow a lot in New England, the best of both would get my vote.

This was the decision maker for me:

"The point i was trying to make was two lives were lost because someone thought all season's were good enough. Just today a young driver 17 yrs old lost his life due to ice, he had all season tires,again if he had studded snow tires he may still be alive but go ahead and drink up cause I'm sure it will never happen to you better safe than sorry."

Yes, agreed. My wife's safety on black ice is more important than what we pay for a fancier radio that we don't really need.

The Tacoma is now being delivered from Irwin Motors with studded snows. And if I had the choice, without the fancier radio.

<end>

I've seen trails ripped up by sleds with studs as well, not to mention the damage they do to bridge decks and pavement where the trail crosses the road. There are good & bad points with both studded & unstudded snowmobiles. " go ahead and drink up cause i'm sure it will never happen to you" Lighten up, I was poking fun, no need to be a d.b. about it.