PolarisCobra

Trailer Upkeep

Drove by the trailer last week on the lawn tractor, noticed that the plastic trim around the edge had deteriorated over the summer. Did not look like this when I moved it to the back of the yard in the spring.

This is what it looked like.

post-86-0-05188500-1377090996_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-55155800-1377090957_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-17941900-1377090953_thumb.jpg

I found a roll of the plastic trim on EBay. Seems that for trailer parts, you are better off looking for Truck Cap parts, or camper parts. Nothing comes up when you search sled trailer parts.

Here is the finished product. I cleaned up the dirt in the rails a bit with some soapy water, folded the trim lengthwise, and it slipped right in. Took about an hour.

post-86-0-34519300-1377090959_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-31225400-1377090958_thumb.jpg

Nice work.

Any other colors available?

RayC

That's great! Thanks for the tip!

Mine had deteriorated so badly by last year I just ripped it all out. Don't have anything in there right now.

What did you search for? Any particular part or brand?

Thanks!

Perfect. Thanks...

Edited by MTNBYKR

Nice work,

thanks for the info

Be sure to check your axle and leaf spring mounts. I almost had a serious accident a couple of years ago with an '06 Sno Pro clamshell. The front leaf spring mount broke coming home on I93 South. Had to have the trailer and sleds brought home via a ramp truck just North of Lincoln and I go over all my stuff every pre-season.

Trailer maintenance is critical. I make it a point to take the wheels off every other year, clean everything up, lube the bolts, and put it back together. Got to get underneath and give everything a good looking over, including the lights.

For what it's worth, last year I wanted to replace the handle/lock on the front door. When I bought the trailer, it didn't come with a key, so I could not lock it. Tried a locksmith, they could not get a key for it, or figure out how to take it apart to re-key it. Searched for sled trailer parts, you won't find much. Realized that truck caps use similar locks, searched for parts for caps, and found what I needed. Matched up measurements, got just what I needed, for a reasonable price.

Trailer maintenance is critical. I make it a point to take the wheels off every other year, clean everything up, lube the bolts, and put it back together. Got to get underneath and give everything a good looking over, including the lights.

For what it's worth, last year I wanted to replace the handle/lock on the front door. When I bought the trailer, it didn't come with a key, so I could not lock it. Tried a locksmith, they could not get a key for it, or figure out how to take it apart to re-key it. Searched for sled trailer parts, you won't find much. Realized that truck caps use similar locks, searched for parts for caps, and found what I needed. Matched up measurements, got just what I needed, for a reasonable price.

Don't forget to get in there and check/repack the bearings. A lot of time bearing buddies are pretty skimpy in how much grease gets sent to the inside bearing.

Does anyone know if that plastic trim serves a purpose? Or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks...

-M

I think it's mostly cosmetic. But it covers all the screws that hold the sheet metal to the frame. My guess is that water can start to get around those screws over time, might cut wind noise a bit, although you probably would not hear that from up in the truck.

Well i broke down and bought a new trailer. I wanted a 4 place used and looked around but just couldn't find one in my price range. I bought a new 2 place clam shell from Scott's up in Turner Me. I am still going to use the Sled Deck and would of used it anyways when only taking 1 or 2 sleds. I undercoated the axle with rubberized coating and i'm waiting on the ski guides to come in. All the sleds are now ready and shop is empty. My son's friend, who rides with us is bringing over his F7 so we can look at the reverse. Most likely the pins are bad. Just bring on the snow now.

Thanks for posting this info PC. I keep my trailer at my father's and he told me that I had some rubber piece hanging from it. When I went to check it out is was just like yours. Just order the roll from e-bay.

Dave

Kinda funny that this topic was recently posted by Polaris Cobra. Those of you that know me, are aware that I hate to throw anything away, and so you might not be surprised to know that I have an open four place I bought used, 2 years old in 1991. It's a Karavan and I have moved hundreds of sleds on it, dragged it to Michigan several times, all over NE and it has served me very well. During that time I have had to replace the decking three times, the axles once, can't remember how many tires, wiring and lights. At the present time I have the decking stripped again for another round of 3/4 inch Advantech which is a lot more rugged than the 5/8 plywood that usually tops these off. tougher to install because of pockets in the frame that are set up for 5/8 which requires slimming down several areas to make it all fit. That being said, when done the trailer is a lot more solid and rugged than new. I have the new 3/4 all fitted and ready to screw down with self tapping 1/4 in by 1 1/4 in long stainless steel screws I got from Fastenal for a mere .88 each. Now I'm going to remove the panels and give them two coats of Water Seal, re-fit them, crawl underneath and drill pilot holes up through the frame to use the bulk of the existing holes for the new hardware. I was advised to do this because the stainless is more brittle than the original screws.

Lot of work for an old trailer, but when done it should be good for a good many more years of service.

post-8-0-00002200-1382144436_thumb.jpgpost-8-0-54126200-1382144459_thumb.jpg

path 8) finder#6

I'll add to this thread. Pulled out of my driveway today to head to the transfer station and my tongue broke off at the pivot point on my trailer. Completely rotted. Glad it happened close to home & without a sled on it. Now I am trailerless :(

Edited by snorander

I'll add to this thread. Pulled out of my driveway today to head to the transfer station and my tongue broke off a the pivot point on my trailer. Completely rotted. Glad it happened close to home & without a sled on it. Now I am trailerless :(

A wheel came off my clamshell trailer this summer on a back road. The bearings fell out and were lost so I had to leave it in the road and get new bearings before I could move it. The first set I brought back were the wrong size, so I had to make a second run.

Last fall a bearing failed on my boat trailer when I pulled my out for the season. It ruined the axel tip, and the brake drum. Tough to find parts and even harder to get the old ones off and the new ones on.