Sign in to follow this  
longriderss

Yellowstone park

Looks like next years trip out west is going to include sleddin at Yellowstone national park. Anyone here ever been? Any suggestions on what to do? I'll be staying near the west entrance.

About 7 years ago 23 of the Pittsburg Ridge Runners made a trip to West Yellowstone. We made arrangements through a snowmobile outfitter in West Yellowstone. They made all the arrangements for a place to stay in town, guides and snowmobile rentals. All you need to do is show up at the airport and they will have everything arranged.

We spent two days in the park and two days outside the park. You must have an approved guide in the park. You don't need to have a guide outside the park, but I highly recommend it. He will be able to maximize your time by showing you places that you would never get to on your own.

It is a once in a lifetime experience and we got to see many wild animals and beautiful scenery.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish! :nea:

Went a few years ago words could never describe it ,take Oldvipers advise thou and get a guide,also bring your own gear if possible.Anyone who likes to snowmobile should take this trip, your going to love it. OH and WARM CLOTHS it s Freakin cold out there.

I was out there twice in the early 90s, the place is amazing . Pretty much like OVR, we had everything arranged for us out of West Yellowstone, guides were not required back then but I imagine it's better to have one. :good:

I was out there when guides were not required. I have been out there when guides were required. I believe guides are still required now and they only let so many sleds into the park per day. You may need to make arrangements in advance (a guide) to enter the park on the days you want to enter. You need to go to T-Top mountain on a clear day. The trail goes to the top of the mountain (12,000 foot elevation & above the tree line) and you can see for over 100 miles in any direction. It is outside of Yellowstone Park and you don't need a guide. The SOS (Srub Oak Scramblers) club sponsor a trip out there every year. They might be able to give you any new info you may need. Get a map of the area in advance. It helps you plan ahead if your not going in a tour type group.

All great advice. I have a good map of the trails already. Yes a guide is required in the park. I have been hunting down all the info that I can. I won't be holding back on the funding as this will probably be a one time shot for being there in the winter. I will have all my winter gear, so all should work out great. All I need now is clear weather the week I am out there. Last week in February should be great. Getting excited already. Booked the flights yesterday. I did the continental divide at Rabbit Ear pass a couple years ago while I was at Steamboat. Had a few drinks with Bill Kidd the night before, then sledding the day after.

I was out there when guides were not required. I have been out there when guides were required. I believe guides are still required now and they only let so many sleds into the park per day. You may need to make arrangements in advance (a guide) to enter the park on the days you want to enter. You need to go to T-Top mountain on a clear day. The trail goes to the top of the mountain (12,000 foot elevation & above the tree line) and you can see for over 100 miles in any direction. It is outside of Yellowstone Park and you don't need a guide. The SOS (Srub Oak Scramblers) club sponsor a trip out there every year. They might be able to give you any new info you may need. Get a map of the area in advance. It helps you plan ahead if your not going in a tour type group.

Actually the high mountain is called Two Top.

This Picture is of myself on the saddle between the two peaks looking East across the Yellowstone caldera.

post-16-0-38937000-1368579579_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the trees in their winter coats.

post-16-0-70490900-1368579611_thumb.jpg

This is a view of the Grand Tetons, 170 miles to the South West from Two Top.

post-16-0-95244500-1368579639_thumb.jpg

A typical trail in the mountains around West Yellowstone.

post-16-0-21261600-1368579660_thumb.jpg

A large field of fantastic snow where we played for a long time and hated to leave.

post-16-0-47597900-1368579699_thumb.jpg

By the way, watch out for these guys. Also don't run over their frozen droppings. It is like hitting a big rock in the trail.

post-16-0-80329600-1368580393_thumb.jpg

This guy was right along the trail by the Yellowstone River.

post-16-0-85614100-1368580892_thumb.jpg

Also, there were a lot of fantastic views that I have pictures of, but would take up too much space.

Well you get the idea. I would love to go back again. Maybe when I am 80!

You will not regret your snowmobile visit to West Yellowstone.

Did you get over to Teton National Park ? We never did and I wish we had. Great pictures.

Did you get over to Teton National Park ? We never did and I wish we had. Great pictures.

No we did not. Darn it!!! It is on the "bucket list".

Sorry - I meant Two-Top mountain, I was given additions to my Honey-Do-List at the same time as I was typing.

Patriot - check with Tobey (she) at the Seven Lakes Club or someone at the Scrub Oak Scramblers club. They both run trips to West Yellowstone each year at great prices but they fill up extremely fast.

I was out there in 2011-12 one trip with Scrub Oaks. The Hokliday Inn West Yellowstone is where Scrub Oaks goes and they have package deals. If you want to go for a long ride try Mesa falls in Idaho.

We stayed at Threebears lodge right in West Yellostone. They have onsite rentals and tours. Cant wait to go back!!!!

I was out there twice in the early 90s, the place is amazing . Pretty much like OVR, we had everything arranged for us out of West Yellowstone, guides were not required back then but I imagine it's better to have one. :good:

When you went out there did you go with a group organized by a guy out of Northwood. I dont want to use his name in the post but he was first class. I went 4 years in a row and just curious if you were on the same trip as I was? The 3rd year we went we did 1267 miles in 5 days of riding. Giddee up. Get up early come home late.

On the trips that I went some of the people sent their snowmobile suits, boots and other things in advance. I think they sent them by FEDEX. They then called the hotel so they would know the package was coming. The hotel was OK with that. You don't worry about carrying heavy bags. We always carried our helmets on the planes as a carry-on. Some rental companies rent clothes and helmets but you always feel better wearing your own stuff.

Anyone have links for a good snowmobling package (lodging, rental, guide etc)?

This was sent to me. some good info. :fluffy:

http://www.sledwyoming.com/regions/grandteton.html

How far is Grand Teton NP from Yellowstone NP? It would be nice to sled both parks in one trip?

WHy wait until winter??

Yellowstone is awesome right now!

Summer in that park gives you alot more possiblities to hike, sight see, etc

WHy wait until winter??

Yellowstone is awesome right now!

Summer in that park gives you alot more possiblities to hike, sight see, etc

It is fantastic in the summer. I was there in the summer of 1980 (I was 14).

There is no riding in Teton park. I lived and rode in Jackson Hole fore 8 yrs('91-'99).Yellowstone is a def must do, but for scenic value only. Togwotee pass is the place. Some of the best mtn/powder riding in 'merica IMO. stay/rent/eat/drink here...http://www.togwoteelodge.com/