skully

Buying an ATV need some input

Hi Everyone ....

OK ..... I am not new to off road riding but need a new Quad. I have had dirt bikes

since 1970 and have raced and ridden them off road until 2005. I have a 1986 Suzuki

230cc 2wd Quad that I use to plow snow in my 120' driveway, plow horse poop in the

horse corral and general use with a small trailer doing stuff in the yard.

Well after years of abuse it is now time to replace it with a newer one.

I have seen how much things have changed since I first got one every year

when I register my snowmobile at the Dealership near me. Damm ... they are

now the size of a small car. I have looked through Craigslist and seen some nice

deals on used ones. Looking to spend $3,000 to $4,500 on a 4x4 with a plow & winch

and above 300cc's. I was told by a friend the Honda models are the best bet. I seen

they have 2 models a Rancher and a Rubicon and then there are many sub models

of these 2 versions. Seen a few Suzuki 500cc Quads and Yamaha 350 and 600 Grizzly's

that looked pretty kewl also. Would like your opinions on what to buy and what to stay

away from. Also after reading nice things about Jericho ATV park and maybe ATV

riding up in Pitts that may also be something I may do also.

Thanks for all your input !

Rob ......

Well, I would say your on the right track, the Hondas are OK, but the Yamaha grizzlys are real bulletproof

I have a 2006 Kawi Prarie 360, it works great around the house but lacks a little power for the big trails up north

Just do your homework and buy a clean well maintaned used one.

I have ridden Jericho and Pittsburg, Millsfield and beyond in the past few years, it's like snowmobiling but with granite dust rather than snowdust.... and it can be hot and dry and the bugs can suck

Things are really taking shape up north to be a premier ATV destination in the United states,

take a look at the ATV topic here, lots of recent announcements, the completed trails will be called the 1000 mile "Ride The Wilds" trail system

I plan on being there for the grand opening this year

Hope you are feeling well and the worst is behind you Skully

Edited by Nor'easter

My only experience is limited and with a Rubicon. I was very impressed with how that machine performed. However, try to dig up some info on the Arctic Cat ATVs. I've heard they make some 4x4s that haul ass .

I own a 2001 Honda Rubicon. flawless machine. But since buying mine... the competition has really given Honda a run....

I can not switch between 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive, (always 4-wheel)... Newer machines can.

Stick with a Quad... as I also have a Honda Big Red 200 ATC.... and I still run over my own feet.

I had two Suzuki 230 quadsports. An 85 and a 87. Ran them both for 20 years. Got almost as much as I paid for them. Light and fast. No room to carry stuff. Easy to get stuck. Loads of fun and the best machines of their time.

I replaced mine with a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500. My wife has a 2003 Sportsman 700. The 500 is a very bullet proof machine. The 700 is not so great. Spins the tires too easily and the twin cyl engine is a bit too heavy. A 500 is the better machine. Never tried the larger 800 machine. I do not see the need for anything larger than a 500cc for my needs.

I have ridden many Honda's. The old 300 2wd were the most reliable machines. Very nice, and went places you would not expect a 2wd to go. Lots of carrying capacity. I have never ridden the higher end models. But, any Honda is reliable and long lasting. Any ATV is so much more reliable than a sled.

My sportsman 500 will go anywhere. The locking 4wd is probably still the best in the industry. The machine is heavy as I have added heavy duty bumpers, racks and boxes. But it is stable. I use it for carrying gear for hunting as well as getting in and out of the woods. In fall it hauls fire wood. It is a work horse, not a speed demon. Never had to do anything other than make adjustments and replace fluids and filters.

Guys I hunt with have Arctic cat ATVs they were second to have a true fully independent read suspension after Polaris. Ride is higher than Polaris, but very capable on rough trails. Their machines always seem to be breaking. several drive shafts, brakes, springs. The engine is made by Suzuki and is bullet proof, but the rest of the machine is less reliable than Polaris.

You might consider a side by side. Cheaper than buying two single quads. The Polaris Rzr is the only trail legal model in NH at 50 inches wide. But I expect that the laws may change in NH to keep up with ME and VT. I like the RZR Baha model, but the suspension is too wide to be NH legal.

BRP Outlander quads are pretty nice machines. Brother in law has the 800 Outlander. That engine blows away everybody for acceleration and pure power. Not sure you need it, but of you like fast then this is a great choice. So easy to spin the tires. Offroad capability is good as well as carrying capacity. I am not as fond of the smaller sized outlanders though but have only ridden them on short rides.

I agree with the grizzlies. We have all Yamaha atvs sport and 4x4 and a can am side-by-side. Our grizzly 450 is great all around for trails, plowing and hauling firewood and have had no problems with them. Honda are also good especially their motors but we have little experience with them and other brands. We ride up in northern nh and mostly northern Maine with the 4x4 and sidebyside. It kinda fills the gap between sledding seasons,kinda. The northern nh area has become a great place for atvs now.

I bought a 2004 400cc BRP Outlander Max (meaning 2-up but w/o the fancy wheels, etc). I mainly needed it for snow plowing but I tried on the trails a couple of times this fall. The only downside was that with the 400cc SINGLE PISTON engine was that it has a lot of high-frequency engine vibration at high RPM's. In fact my toes were vibrated to the point of being tingly and almost numb. But I bought it used, with very low miles, cheap and just plain didn't want to pay for a bigger/better setup.

Edited by rickzach

I have a Can Am outlander 400efi and have been very satisfied. Decent ride, and capable on the trail. The efi starts easily all year round and runs very smooth. Would buy again. Purchased as a 2 year leftover at decent price.

Saw a 2009 750 brute force with 2400 miles today at a Dealer for $5900

Damm .... 750 v-twin where the hell do you use this thing ?

Saw the Can-am's over at the Dealer in Chemlsford, MA

hell those things were almost as big as my Jeep !

Rob .....

Skully I have a 09 brute force.The thing is a monster it will go over and thru anything.The can ams and polaris are also nice machine I do not know much about the artic cats.I have been toying with the idea of selling my brute force I will let you know if I am going to sell it.

Dave

I have had many, all different brands. Best bang for buck is a polaris sportsman 500. They sell them pretty cheap considering and are packed with all the stuff other brands have copied. If you want brute automatic 4x4 power, the Kawi 750 is Sweet....for more dough and real high end, the sportsman 850 is sick. Honda is overated...reliable but short on about everything....the best feature they have is Electric Shift. Suzuki is good, but nothing special. Yamaha is similar. My grizzly 660 was ok, but the motor lacked, and the tires sucked. Had some front end issues as wheel in the 4x4 early 2~3 years of G660 production.

Doing alot of researching and reading and it looks like it will be either

a Polaris 500 - 800 Sportsman or the Kawi 700 Brute Force.

Seen alot of nice buys around the 4k to 5k price.

Just waiting now for 2 things ....

Fed tax return and the biopsy of my cancerous tumor.

For example here is one I found for $4300 ....

" 2006 Polaris in super condition 1200miles adult driven 3000 lb winch 500 efi "

Rob ...

post-413-0-28736800-1365040935_thumb.jpg

Edited by skully

" 2006 Polaris in super condition 1200miles adult driven 3000 lb winch 500 efi "

Rob ...

That is basically the same machine as I have except mine is 2005, no efi, and with heavy bumpers in black. A very nice machine that will go anywhere.Never had a problem and I do not baby it.A 500 is plenty. No need for an 800.

Rob ...

@ 1200 miles I would expect some worn parts such as cv joints, ball joints, susp bushings etc. Really depends on how bad trails were, amount of mud, and how it was maintained. I have seen brand new sportman 500 sell for real close to $5k during promotions or as leftovers.

ya .... i see that HK place up around Concord, NH doing that right now ....

Seen some used ones that have less than 200 miles that they say

were only used around their yards.

Example ....

$5,000 for a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin 4x4 only 185 miles and 66.7 hours.

Has never been trail ridden, only used around my property in Maine.

Rob ....

Edited by skully

2001 Honda Foreman 500, never left my yard. 1,200 miles in 12 years.

2007 Polaris 600, in 2008 rode 1,200 miles in 3 months. :whistle:

ya .... i see that HK place up around Concord, NH doing that right now ....

Seen some used ones that have less than 200 miles that they say

were only used around their yards.

Example ....  

$5,000 for a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin 4x4 only 185 miles and 66.7 hours.

Has never been trail ridden, only used around my property in Maine.

Rob ....

Bought my 500 from HK in Hookset and a trailer many years before. ATV has 50 miles on it, and was loaded with extras. somebody bought it, put 50 miles and returned it. Figured I saved about $3k off of list. Was shopping new at another dealer and they would not budge a penny in price. HK got my business.

Edited by metaluc

Noxorc ... how the heck you put so many miles so fast ?

Metaluc ... Since I just had surgery on Monday I can not

walk so well. They told me no seat belts either when in

a car ( no driving either ) until it heals :-(

Would like to check HK and the Polaris place in Chelmsford, MA also

Matty coming over this weekend to drive my Jeep so

I can go pick up a 4x8 trailer I found on Craigslist for $300.

BTW .... How wide are these Polaris Sportsman's ?

I got the trailer for storing my Hardtop from the Wrangler

during the Summer. Would the ATV fit in it ?

Rob .....

post-413-0-43706100-1365093340_thumb.jpg

Edited by skully

When you get a new sled, you go places. 2008 was a good snow season, for me.

Metaluc ... Since I just had surgery on Monday I can not

walk so well. They told me no seat belts either when in

a car ( no driving either ) until it heals :-(

Would like to check HK and the Polaris place in Chelmsford, MA also

Matty coming over this weekend to drive my Jeep so

I can go pick up a 4x8 trailer I found on Craigslist for $300.

BTW .... How wide are these Polaris Sportsman's ?

I got the trailer for storing my Hardtop from the Wrangler

during the Summer. Would the ATV fit in it ?

Rob .....

It should fit. I measured about 47.5 inches at the rear tires. It may be a bit tight depending on how the trailer is designed. There may also be some variation on ATV models and optional tires and wheels.I have been working on an ATV map for Maine and New Hampshire. It is getting close to 4000 miles and I still have lots more to do! I think I will also register in Maine this year and ride Andover to Eustis. Tent camp and fish on the way.

One more comment on that sportsman 500 you showed. Those accosseries lke rack risers, hard box, bumpers, winch and alloy wheels can add up fast. Those wheels & tires cost nearly a grand by themselves. Hard box lists for $200. Small bags about $70, rear rack riser $150, front $90. Bumpers can be between $200 and $400 for a pair.

Going to check this one out tomorrow ....

2007 700cc with 185 miles for $4,500

What ya think ?

Rob .....

BTW ..... Picked up that trailer in my previous post !

post-413-0-52999000-1365274334_thumb.jpg

Edited by skully

Going to check this one out tomorrow ....

2007 700cc with 185 miles for $4,500

What ya think ?

Rob .....

Sure not much mileage for a 2007, but some people only use them in their driveway!BTW ..... Picked up that trailer in my previous post !

My wife has a 2003 700. It has maybe a couple thousand miles on it. I like my 2005 500 a whole lot better. The 700 is touchy and like to "jump" unnecessarily with a little gas. That makes it harder to control on rough trails. It is heavier and takes a huge battery to turn it over. (Same as a Harley)There were quite a few changes body wise from 2003 to 2007, so it may be a better behaved machine. On her 2003, the steering is a bit loosey goosey now. Had one CV joint fail, and the tires are nearly work out now. One thing cool about Her unit is that it is factory camo. That has held up reasonably with some fading. The winch on her's is also mounted in very off fashion and sticks out too far.Have somebody take it for a ride and listen for odd sounds, and see how it rides.Price does not seem that bad for that mileage. I suspect it should be in like-new condition, no scrapes, no dings, perfect tires. Otherwise they figured out how to disconnect the odometer. I am not sure that is even possible because everything is run by computer which must be on for the machine to run.I'd say it is worth a closer look for sure.You mentioned wanting to plow. The heavier 700 might actually be good for that purpose.The new quick on/off Polaris plows are very nice, but expensive.

That 700 looks to have the front storage compartment under the rack. That is very nice to have. My 500 has it and it comes in very handy. They do not have it on the last couple years models unless you go to an 800. Dumb dumb dumb.

Some newer models have power steering that some really like. I never felt the need for it.