webhost

Nytro Fuel Range

When I got my 2009 Nytro XTX it took a few trips to realize that this is my kind of sled. The off trail capability combined with comfort on the groomed trails was the best of both worlds for me.

My two main problems 1. The stock skis in 2009 were just not aggressive enough for me and 2. the fuel range was just about 100-110 mi for me so I would be on fumes coming in with my friends (mostly on 05-07 Apex Attak's).

I found a larger stock tank that would bring you to 10 gal from the stock 7 but it required removing the side trims (permanently) some heat issues with the exhaust (not to comforting considering it is a plastic GAS tank) and it put all the additional weight in front of me. We all know what weight pigs the 4 strokes are so adding additional weight in front of me was out.

I finally decided on the TourBuddy 3.2Gal Aux tank. http://www.tourbuddy.com/yamaha.shtml For the old timers, this is the same company that made the "over the belt" aux tanks in the past. Here is a good video showing it -

I now have about 2000 miles with it and honestly it is one of the best upgrades I have ever done on a sled. It took about 2hrs total to install and it is fully automatic. It is simplicity itself the way it works. You hook the feed tube from the new tank to the breather tube of stock tank, the vacuum created draws the fuel out of the aux tank first, then drains the main tank. There is a check valve in place so there is no fuel going back the other way and you can use just the main tank as well.

Aside from the fuel increase which is huge, it puts all the weight behind you making for a real good balance.

If you have a nytro and are plagued by the range this will help. If you want anymore info just ask.

Edited by webhost

Interesting setup, but the fuel range has never been a problem for me. I have 9500 miles on my '08.

Interesting setup, but the fuel range has never been a problem for me. I have 9500 miles on my '08.

Sweet. I just went over 8000 and loved almost every one of them - lol.

I put a pair of gen 3 simmons skis to improve the turning and now it turns on rails and floats really well off trail. It is however much more work now - in a good way for me,

I was under the impression 4 strokes were good on gas? I'm getting 15.5 - 17.5 mpg with my 2 stroke

this is interesting and a good idea. however, why did you choose to go with this and not with a normal aux tank that you can dump in if you run out of fuel? just the simplicity of it?

this is interesting and a good idea. however, why did you choose to go with this and not with a normal aux tank that you can dump in if you run out of fuel? just the simplicity of it?

Capacity was the main reason. Yamaha makes some little side bags you can use and there are also several types of small pails available but none with 3+ gal in that form factor. And there is no filling or dumping on the trail with it, it is plumbed in all the time. This keeps the contamination down to a minimum as well.

Edited by webhost

I was under the impression 4 strokes were good on gas? I'm getting 15.5 - 17.5 mpg with my 2 stroke

I guess "good" is relative, considering it is a 1050cc motor 15-20mpg seems good to me. I get much better mileage trail riding than I do off trail riding.

I guess "good" is relative, considering it is a 1050cc motor 15-20mpg seems good to me. I get much better mileage trail riding than I do off trail riding.

Off trail or rough trails I would get in the 15.5 mile range, 17-18 on groom trails but I have a 10.5 gal tank.Roughly 150-165mi on a tank on groom trails