Hardy

Riding out of Gorham

Hey guys I was planning on heading up to Gorham next saturday for a full day of riding with a couple friends to mark my last ride of the season. I have never been up that way so I'm looking for some advice on where to park, what trails to ride, where to pick up an up to date map, and a place to stop for lunch. Would like to do at least a 100+ miles and my friend is on a 2up sled so looking for some fairly easy riding and some good views if possible. Thanks!

There is a parking lot on Rt. 2 just west of the junction of Rt. 2 and Rt. 16. From there you can take Cor. 19N to many nice views and lunch spots. Check out the "MAPS" page at our club website at www.whitemtridgerunners.com

There is a list of locations that sell our map which covers Berlin, Milan, part of Gorham and part of Jefferson. There are also 2 free maps that you can print out showing the location of gas stations and nice views in the area.

Thanks for the replies, any suggestions on some "must see" scenic locations? Or for some nice long loops? Also...wheres a good place to eat up there that can accessed from the trail? Looking at the "where to buy" section it seems most of the locations in gorham that sell the maps in town don't open till mid afternoon according to their websites but most likely we will be there around 8. An early bird locations up there that you are aware of that sell the maps?

You could go North on 19 towards Errol for fuel and lunch. There is a cool view of all the windmills, plus you could go up Jerico Mtn. On your way back you could take Nash stream...

If you go to nhsa.com they have a printable map of all corridor trails.

I have that map along with a few others from that area, just not the one for in town gorham with all the local trails. What trail are the windmills on?

I have that map along with a few others from that area, just not the one for in town gorham with all the local trails. What trail are the windmills on?

If you head north on Cor. 19 you will start to see the wind mills when you get on the pipeline in Milan, stay on Cor. 19 and you will get some good views of them. Local area senic views in Gorham would be Pine Mt.(go west on cor 12 to the pinkham b Rd. follow the signs) Lead Mine look out go east on Cor 12 watch for the sign on your right after crossing the big bridge and one small one. In Berlin check out the new Warming hut and Mt. Forest they are well marked both off of Cor. 19, Looks like a warm week coming up I hope the trails hold up.

Thanks for the suggestions Rock. I hope the trails hold up as well, looks like thursday is the only day to really worry about but still lots of 20 deg nights in the forcast thankfully.

Rode today from the Route 2 parking lot. Took Trail 19 north (after a slight misdirection) heading towards Errol. Very good around Gorham, but a 15 mile section just before Jericho Park was bumpy. There were pieces that were short on snow with rocks sticking out, nothing you couldn't get through, but.....

From Jericho Park to Errol was very good. The return via Trails 18 and 12 was smooth and fast, except for a short section through the city of Berlin. Did have some issues relating the trail signs to the map, but it all worked out. Seems the locals don't identify tails by the Corridor trail number, but rather by club numbers like 119 and 114. Not a big deal. Total mileage was about 115 miles, and the 2 hour drive was a fair trade for a good time.

The poster who wrote about a view of the wind turbines was dead on; there's a lot of them and they are big.

I think jhwentworth I will be taking pretty much the same trip you did. I've been looking over my maps and so far this is what I have been thinking of doing. Parking at the Route 2 parking lot and heading north on Cor 19 to where it appears to become primary trail 115 which connects to Cor 18 in Errol. Stop here somewhere for lunch and head back to Gorham via Cor 18 which looks to turn into Cor 12 at some point. You said your total milage was 115, about how long did it take you? Also will probably be making a bunch of detours for scenic views and the such. Also I could not find any info on Cor 12/18 on the white mountain ridge runners site, are these maintained by the state bot?

I think jhwentworth I will be taking pretty much the same trip you did. I've been looking over my maps and so far this is what I have been thinking of doing. Parking at the Route 2 parking lot and heading north on Cor 19 to where it appears to become primary trail 115 which connects to Cor 18 in Errol. Stop here somewhere for lunch and head back to Gorham via Cor 18 which looks to turn into Cor 12 at some point. You said your total milage was 115, about how long did it take you? Also will probably be making a bunch of detours for scenic views and the such. Also I could not find any info on Cor 12/18 on the white mountain ridge runners site, are these maintained by the state bot?

A local can probably give better information, but here's what I saw.

Leave the Route 2 parking area on the east end. I found the signage a bit confusing here (grab a copy of the White Mt. Ridge Runners trail map on their web site). Trail 19N crosses Route 2 west of the parking area and proceeds east past the parking area. You can connect to 19 by going west, but that's how we got misdirected. Proceed north on 19 until you reach Trail 115E. Follow 115E to Errol, cross the bridge over Clear Stream and follow the trail to downtown Errol. There's food and fuel there (even a Subway sandwich shop at LL Cote's). Total mileage should run you about 50+ miles. When you leave Errol, drive behind L.L. Cote's buildings then cross Route 26 and bear left. Follow the trail back to Route 26 and cross the Route 26 auto bridge. Bear right and follow the trail. Cross Route 26 again and you're on Trail 18. Trail 18 meets Trail 12 and heads for Berlin. I believe that Trail 18 is mostly maintained by the Umbago Snowmobile club, and Trail 12 is handled by the Milan club until almost to Berlin. As I said the trail signs are mostly posted with club trail markings, so look at them closely to decipher where the "real" Trail 12 is. After you get through Berlin and run the railroad bed to the bridge you'll arrive at the east end of the parking area.

BTW: You mentioned scenic views; although the ride on Trail 19 has good views, and the wind turbines are impressive, I think the best of the bunch is on the return trip on 18/12. There are some amazing scenes looking west into the Maine mountains, and well worth stopping for pictures.

My "misdirection" out of the parking lot probably cost us a ½ hour, and the moguls probably another ½ hour. Good news for you is that I heard that these moguls have been cleared up.

Our actual riding time was close to 5 hours.

A local can probably give better information, but here's what I saw.

Leave the Route 2 parking area on the east end. I found the signage a bit confusing here (grab a copy of the White Mt. Ridge Runners trail map on their web site). Trail 19N crosses Route 2 west of the parking area and proceeds east past the parking area. You can connect to 19 by going west, but that's how we got misdirected. Proceed north on 19 until you reach Trail 115E. Follow 115E to Errol, cross the bridge over Clear Stream and follow the trail to downtown Errol. There's food and fuel there (even a Subway sandwich shop at LL Cote's). Total mileage should run you about 50+ miles. When you leave Errol, drive behind L.L. Cote's buildings then cross Route 26 and bear left. Follow the trail back to Route 26 and cross the Route 26 auto bridge. Bear right and follow the trail. Cross Route 26 again and you're on Trail 18. Trail 18 meets Trail 12 and heads for Berlin. I believe that Trail 18 is mostly maintained by the Umbago Snowmobile club, and Trail 12 is handled by the Milan club until almost to Berlin. As I said the trail signs are mostly posted with club trail markings, so look at them closely to decipher where the "real" Trail 12 is. After you get through Berlin and run the railroad bed to the bridge you'll arrive at the east end of the parking area.

BTW: You mentioned scenic views; although the ride on Trail 19 has good views, and the wind turbines are impressive, I think the best of the bunch is on the return trip on 18/12. There are some amazing scenes looking west into the Maine mountains, and well worth stopping for pictures.

My "misdirection" out of the parking lot probably cost us a ½ hour, and the moguls probably another ½ hour. Good news for you is that I heard that these moguls have been cleared up.

Our actual riding time was close to 5 hours.

Maybe part of the confusion is when you leave the Rt. Lot the trail is actually Cor. 12 and Cor.19 combined at this point. Also you can head east or west from the parking lot to get north, heading east the junction you hit will point you towards Cor. 19 north Head west you will come to a junction that will bring you to Cor. 19 alt north they both end up in the same place a few miles up the trail, all the juctions are well marked and will point you towards where you want to go.

You may want to ride south on cor 19 to Evans Notch. Rode this trail on Sat. and it was great.

With the warm weather predicted I am not sure that will be a good Idea the pipeline trail getting down through Shelburne is very thin I think after a feew days in the 40s and 50s this may be down to dirt.

Maybe part of the confusion is when you leave the Rt. Lot the trail is actually Cor. 12 and Cor.19 combined at this point. Also you can head east or west from the parking lot to get north, heading east the junction you hit will point you towards Cor. 19 north Head west you will come to a junction that will bring you to Cor. 19 alt north they both end up in the same place a few miles up the trail, all the juctions are well marked and will point you towards where you want to go.

Absolutely true. My problem was that I was attempting to follow the NH Corridor Trail map which shows Trail 19 as west of the parking lot, when it actually is east of the lot. We saw 19A and continued west looking for 19. Hello Waumbek Methna club! (BTW: the trails over there are good, and they had a map on their warming hut that put us straight.) That's why I advised exiting east from the lot; you pick up Trail 19, well marked, on your left very quickly.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys, they are greatly appreciated! Now it seems all I need to do is sit and wait for the weather, the forcast I saw today said snow up north on friday. Hopefully just enough to add a bit of lube to the trails, that would be great. We will be up their around 8 in the morning at the rt2 parking lot with a white chevy avalanche and a couple of newer doos(one 2up mostly all black and a black and yellow shorty), if you see us say hello!

Are the snow piles at the Route 2 parking lot high/large enough to load and unload a sled from the rear of a pickup truck?

Edited by Nightrider

Are the snow piles at the Route 2 parking lot high/large enough to load and unload a sled from the rear of a pickup truck?

I'd say no, especially after yesterday's and today's weather. And I'll bet there's some open ground on Trail 19N.

It may be time to move the departure point north a bit, unless there's more snow. That March sun is hard on the snow.

There is a parking lot on Rt. 2 just west of the junction of Rt. 2 and Rt. 16. From there you can take Cor. 19N to many nice views and lunch spots. Check out the "MAPS" page at our club website at www.whitemtridgerunners.com

There is a list of locations that sell our map which covers Berlin, Milan, part of Gorham and part of Jefferson. There are also 2 free maps that you can print out showing the location of gas stations and nice views in the area.

We saw plenty of your WMRR-style signage even when some of the junctions may have been outside of your local area (ie: North side of Nash Stream). Nice job, great signs and thank you !

Taken from the White Mountain Ridge Runners website....I still have hope!

The Warmup on Wed. and Thur. This Week Will NOT Be Enough

to End Riding in Our Area. We Have Enough Snow That This Will Just

Settle the Base So You Can Count on Great Riding This Weekend.

High Temps On Wednesday Were in the Low 40's in the Woods Compared to

high 50's Down State. All Three WMRR Groomers Were Out on Wednesday

and are Scheduled To Keep Grooming Right Through This Weekend.

From WMRR website this afternoon:

Warm Temps and Strong Winds on Thursday Have Melted a Lot of Snow, But The Base Is Still Intact in Most Areas. A Strong Cold Front Will Bring Some Snow by Midnight And That Should Help. We Still Plan To Be Out Grooming on Saturday and Sunday But That May Be The End of Grooming for This Season.

From WMRR website this afternoon:

Warm Temps and Strong Winds on Thursday Have Melted a Lot of Snow, But The Base Is Still Intact in Most Areas. A Strong Cold Front Will Bring Some Snow by Midnight And That Should Help. We Still Plan To Be Out Grooming on Saturday and Sunday But That May Be The End of Grooming for This Season.

I've been watching it melt all day on the webcams.. :blink:

If you don't get up for a ride REAL soon, you might as well put this baby to bed! Stick a fork in it...cool Friday and Saturday then the HEAT comes back Sunday and all next week!

Snowmobile Season 2011/2012 "The Winter That Wasn't!"

R.I.P. :drinks:

Well after that little show by mother nature looks like I'll be washing and cleaning up the sled for summer storage rather than going for a last ride. According to the WMRR site its looks as though all was lost in just 2 days.

Yup, just got done draining the gas from my sled... :cray: