Skip

American Pickers films in Dover

26 posts in this topic

This afternoon as I was coming home from work my good friend George Maglaras waived me over. They had just got done filming an episode of American Pickers at his Marina which is just down the street from my house. He had to sign a contract of secrecy and keep onlookers at bay, but at the end of filming when I came along he got me in so I could meet Frankie & Mike and snap some pictures for George. They bought a ton of stuff from him and filmed an episode that will appear probably early winter. Mike & Frankie are two ordinary guys, funny as hell and not a bone of arrogance in either one. Mike actually grabbed and shook my hand several times....I'll never wash it again!

Anyway so as not to load stuff up here I attached one camera phone shot of George with Mike. I also posted an album publicly up on facebook where you should able to see more pictures at: American Picker @ George's

What a cool way to end a crappy Monday!

post-4-0-49202100-1315863777_thumb.jpg

This afternoon as I was coming home from work my good friend George Maglaras waived me over. They had just got done filming an episode of American Pickers at his Marina which is just down the street from my house. He had to sign a contract of secrecy and keep onlookers at bay, but at the end of filming when I came along he got me in so I could meet Frankie & Mike and snap some pictures for George. They bought a ton of stuff from him and filmed an episode that will appear probably early winter. Mike & Frankie are two ordinary guys, funny as hell and not a bone of arrogance in either one. Mike actually grabbed and shook my hand several times....I'll never wash it again!

Anyway so as not to load stuff up here I attached one camera phone shot of George with Mike. I also posted an album publicly up on facebook where you should able to see more pictures at: American Picker @ George's

What a cool way to end a crappy Monday!

Cool, i have an episode paused as i type here....

Those guys are great, the wife and I love that show. That's cool you had the chance to meet them.

Send them over to my Mom's barn !!!

They'll need a bigger van.

:blink:

Send them over to my Mom's barn !!!

They'll need a bigger van.

:blink:

Good point....

One thing I learned is they actually only put things in the van for the show. They actually have a large rental truck that comes and picks up the pickins after they are done! They left the stuff behind tonight with someone watching over it until the truck could get there and pick it al up.

And their production crew is small, but just as friendly as Mike & Frank. After meeting everyone you wouldn't ever get the impression that this was the cast & crew of one of cable's bigger shows.

Oh, and no make up or make-up artists either. Just a couple of guys in jeans & t-shirts! Just wish I could have met Danielle....LOL

That's cool as hell!! I love that show!

Thats great Skip! :good:

I'm still waiting for them to stumble across some vintage sleds!! :)

Where is Frank? I don't recognize him in any of the photos.

They had just got done filming an episode of American Pickers at his Marina ...

Skip,

How was the connection made? Did George contact the show? Or did they find him?

:dunno:

The whole family enjoys watching the pickers on Monday night. I look forward to seeing the NH show. Any idea as when it will air?

Where is Frank? I don't recognize him in any of the photos.

post-4-0-89558100-1315959757_thumb.jpg

Brown t-shirt on the left....he's in three of four other shots also.

Skip,

How was the connection made? Did George contact the show? Or did they find him?

:dunno:

An advance person called our Sheriff's Office and several others looking for leads. They found him threw one of those leads....still supposed to air the episode early winter but George is under contract to only discuss the visit in general terms. Foster's is doing a short story on the visit to the Dover area in tomorrow's edition.

post-4-0-89558100-1315959757_thumb.jpg

Brown t-shirt on the left....he's in three of four other shots also.

Ok. I must be going blind. Only saw the tall guy in the pink shirt. Got worried that maybe Frank got replaceed!

Short article in today's Fosters HERE with some of the pictures I took down at the Marina......:good:

Was in Montreal for work recently. Flipping thrugh the channels on TV in the evening I ran across this:

http://www.canadianpickers.com/

Same basic show, guys are different, and when they offer aprice on something they say, 'How about $20 for this EH?'

It is on right now....

Hey guys the episode aired on Monday Jan 9 2012 its called keeping the elephant in the room. so its start off in Maine than mass than goes into New Hampshire, than i think there may be one other city as well in there. Dover got in it, after the taxi derby guy comes the Dover spot.

If miss it here are other times

Mon

1/9

9:00-10:00pm

Tue

1/10

1:01-2:01am

Thu

1/12

8:00-9:00pm

Fri

1/13

12:01-1:01am

Edited by ChristopherFCheney

I used to like that show, but the more I watched it the more I decided I can't stand those two guys. the little heavy guy especially, what a DB. The way he talks to the girl who works for him is what does it for me. He is always such an ass to her.

Anyway glad you guys had fun meeting them. It's pretty cool seeing the behind the cameral stuff. My brother worked in the industry for years and it's interesting what some shows produce with a very lean crew (American Pickers); there are other outfits that need a caravan of gear.

I used to like that show, but the more I watched it the more I decided I can't stand those two guys. the little heavy guy especially, what a DB. The way he talks to the girl who works for him is what does it for me. He is always such an ass to her.

Anyway glad you guys had fun meeting them. It's pretty cool seeing the behind the cameral stuff. My brother worked in the industry for years and it's interesting what some shows produce with a very lean crew (American Pickers); there are other outfits that need a caravan of gear.

I think it's all for show, she gives it back to them pretty well. :drinks:

I agree, razing her is part of the fun character of the show. She gives it right back to them. I just watched it with my son and enjoyed this one as well. Note that if you have cable with On-Demand it is can be selected from the history channel shows at any time.

Skip- your friend was very generous to them as they bartered. Seems like a nice easy going guy.

I like storage wars as well.

...Skip- your friend was very generous to them as they bartered. Seems like a nice easy going guy...

I stopped at the Marina on my way home this afternoon to talk to George. He mentioned that he was so thrilled to be on the show that he really didn't care about the prices. Also, he sold them a lot more than what you saw on the show. They had over six hours of tape that was whittled down to that 15 minute segment! Some of the things he sold them that didn't make the segment can actually be seen in the background of the store in various shots from this new season, including a bunch of metal baskets he sold them. They actually came back after the shooting with a U-Haul truck to ship back what they had bought. The one item that was close to me was the gas pump. as he said in the show, that was the actual working pump at the Marina for many years. Most of us kids growing up in the neighborhood pumped gas in the summer from that pump for his Dad, getting paid in soda pop or boat rides, or free bait to use to fish for eels from the docks! Fond memories for sure....

One draw back he noted. Apparently enough information was given that many people from across the Country were able to get his business phone number. His phone rang off the hook all day, still ringing while I was there, with folks looking to see if they could buy more items like what they saw on the show. He also got more than his share of nuts calling as well. Ah, the price of stardom! No marriage offers as of yet....

All in all he said he'd do it all over again if he got the chance!

It is on Comcast on demand also.

Hey guys the episode aired on Monday Jan 9 2012 its called keeping the elephant in the room. so its start off in Maine than mass than goes into New Hampshire, than i think there may be one other city as well in there. Dover got in it, after the taxi derby guy comes the Dover spot.

If miss it here are other times

Mon

1/9

9:00-10:00pm

Tue

1/10

1:01-2:01am

Thu

1/12

8:00-9:00pm

Fri

1/13

12:01-1:01am

I think it's all for show, she gives it back to them pretty well. :drinks:

At times it really doesn't sound good natured. I hope you guys are right. My greatest peeve is people with a "do you know who I am" attitude. That's the vibe I got from watching the show. Glad to hear the guys were down to earth normal folks. Guess I can go back to watching it again. Which is good because my wife likes it too so no conflict regarding the remote control.

On a really off topic note I sat next to the bald guy from Ghost Hunters on a flight back to RI. He lives not to far from me. As we spent the plane ride talking we found out that I was going to tilton in a snow storm that weekend and he was taking his family up to Whitefield. He and the other guy on the show bought don't quote me...the Inn on rt 3 near the big resort. This was a few years back and think it might be closed now. Anyway despite the sillyness of the tv show, this guy could not have been cooler.