JBG

Polaris won't shut off

11 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 Polaris 550 Classic. When its running and I hit the kill switch or turn the key off it keeps running. The only way I can kill it is to choke it. Anyone know how I can fix this? I'm thinking it may be a corroded ground? Anyone know where I could find a wiring diagram? What else can I check? Thanks in advance for your help.

Make sure the ignition plug in didnt fall off......

Check your grounds. If they are OK, It may be a bad wire going to or on the stator itself.

If all else fails and you are really pissed off....

A match will do.

lol

post-515-1262181577.jpg

If all else fails and you are really pissed off....

A match will do.

lol

Ya great no insurance on it. No I'm not that pissed off. I can still use it. I think I'll figure it out. But its killing me on the gas. :lol:

It's got to be some sort of short in the wires before the kill switch and key switch making constant "on" contact... Or..Perhaps a bad switch....have you pulled the wires off the back of the switch and tried to start and stop it?

Wonder if it's related to the PERC doohicky?

Wonder if it's related to the PERC doohicky?

His sled has a Perky Doohicky?

No wonder he can't turn it off :pardon:

When you shut off the key or hit the kill switch, it shorts the stator to ground. There is an open somewhere.

Happened to me once and the killswitch wires were disconnected when reinstalling the airbox.

I looked up the wiring diagram for your sled.

Since neither the kill switch nor the ignition switch stop the motor, you need to look at the common between the two.

Both feed back to the CDI. The CDI box has multiple functions, one being to shut the motor down (kill the ignition) when it receives a ground command from either the kill switch or key switch.

So one of two conditions are likely.

You have a loose or broken engine ground, therefore no ground reference is available at the kill and ignition switch to command te CDI to shut down,

or...and more likely, a portion of your CDI box has failed...fairly common with heat and age.

If you have access to a multimeter, you need to verify that there is ground present at one side of both the ignition and kill switch. You can then trace this back to the CDI box. If the CDI box is getting the ground command from both the key in the off position and from the kill switch when applicable, most likely your CDI box is failing.

Unfortunately a new CDI box is about $350.....but this is a very popular model so you should be able to find a used one at a decent price.....

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going riding fri & sat on my new sled (this is my kids sled with the problem). I will start looking at this sunday or monday. Hey Skip where did you find the diagram?