ct_skidoo

Sno-Traveler

Woohoo - opening day is getting closer!

I read Pathfinder got a mention for continuous articles

Edited by ct_skidoo

Oh, so that's why my parakeet has been chirping so happily today....he knows he's getting a new lining for his bird cage! :D

It was a little encouraging to get the October issue before October! :clapping: I think they are trying to address our concerns on timely delivery of the publication, and I think its working! :good: I got my copy last Friday or Saturday. :yahoo:

Now if we could just get the answer to where mandatory membership comes from......................... :nea:

pathfinder 8)

Kinda early for Oct.'s issue. Aren't we supposed to recieve them when all the events advertised in them have already gone by ? Now I have something to look foward to on the crapper in the AM.

Wow looks like NHSA is making a effort and listening to the concerns of it's members. :good:

It's not that hard to get the 1st one out on time. They had all summer to get it ready!! We'll have to see how the rest of the year goes.

Wonder when mine will arrive, I always seem to be one of the last to receive it. :unknw:

I'm also sure they are trying to address the issue of timeliness of its arrival, as they have really taken a beating on that issue.

Edited by Paul D

Wonder when mine will arrive, I always seem to be one of the last to receive it. :unknw:

I'm also sure they are trying to address the issue of timeliness of its arrival, as they have really taken a beating on that issue.

Hopefully you are correct, however I will hold my breath and see what happens over the next several issues.

It reminds me of the ongoing website debacle, complain long & loud enough and someone finally gets off their fat butt and makes a few changes, only to have the website sit untouched for months at a time after.

In my opinion, until the executive board gets tired of the valid and longstanding complaints lodged against the NHSA and hires competent staff, the NHSA will remain the ineffective body it has sadly allowed itself to digress.

So much potential, so little progress...... :sad:

I do know one thing, if it weren't for NHSA, Easter Seals wouldn't make crap in NH.....Maybe they are finally stepping up to the plate.

I do know one thing, if it weren't for NHSA, Easter Seals wouldn't make crap in NH.....Maybe they are finally stepping up to the plate.

I agree with what your saying, :clapping: but if Easter Seals has become the primary directive of the NHSA, lets rename it Easter Seals NHSA :good: and then form a new organization to deal with the problems of snowmobilers in the state of New Hampshire, and relationships with organizations from neighboring states! IMO the ratio of time spent promoting charities to better the image of of the sport is way out of whack with the time devoted to snowmobile issues. :nea:

pathfinder 8)

My impression of this site was it was supposed to be about working together, and here we go again, as soon as the subject of the Sno-Traveler comes up, the comes the slamming of the association, and then we are slamming a charity, Easter Seals. Easter Seals is important to the association, but it is just ONE thing we do, and truth is on any given director's meeting, Easter Seals and the ride-in are a relatively small part of the agenda. Last night was certainly no exception when the discussion and the direction was focused on issues with the Super Raffle, the Golf Tournament, membership issues, the Sno-Traveler (specifically advertising costs in relationship to nearby states), this year's map (which will happen because last year's problems with major staff changes at BOT and a lack of ad sales on the NHSA side are completely resolved...), and the Grass Drags and the issues that had to addressed to insure success this year.

The fact is that we didn't do that much to the Sno-Traveler, a simple change of the date, if you were to think about last season, when you received your September issue. All we did was change the month (in this case to October) that it was servicing, so folks would know to target their news and advertisements to that month. We will continue to have the same delivery problems, etc. We are looking at changes with the postal service, and we are not sure we will qualify at this point, we have filed with USPS, and we will have to go through audit and compliance verification and that could take 1 year. When its done there is no guarantee that it won't take 2-3 weeks for most everyone in this state to get their product. The Membership/PR/Tourism/Sno-Traveler committee is working hard to address some of our own concerns, along with those of the clubs, in some cases the issues raised by individual members.

We have competent staff, and there is absolutely no need to slam them in a public forum. If you have a particular question or concern about our staff then you can give Craig Mayo a call or send him an e-mail message. I or any other member of the Executive Board can be reached and we make sure the question is covered.

The website has been maintained, it is and will remain a work in progress. Too many have made too much out of it for far too long. I can be reached for comments or concerns regarding the website or the sno-traveler.

Many people on this forum are the first to get upset when people comment or complain about their efforts or what other seem to perceive as a lack thereof as volunteers....

Terry Callum

NHSA VP

Hey Terry, Welcome to the site :drinks:

Good to read your side of this.

NHSA VP

If you read my post again you will notice that I did not, and would not "slam" Easter Seals in any form. Let me say right here and now that I support this charity and think it a worthwhile endeavor. What I was "slamming" and will continue to "slam" as you so eloquently put it, is the total inordinate amount of time spent on supporting it. Its almost as if your projecting this great image as a major fund raiser to cover the shortcomings that several people here and elsewhere continue to bring up. If you think your organization is above criticism, think again. How can we "work together" as your opening sentence asked, if you don't know what the opinions of your members are. Would you like us to shut up and just watch NHSA do its thing without input?

If have been at annual meetings where this has been brought up before, my perspective is not unique and to get twisted out of shape about someone stating an opinion about something of this nature only shows how much you don't want to hear the opinions of others in your little "monarchy". :nea:

I appreciate your response but think it could have been better thought out and included less "rage" on your part. :sad:

pathfinder

...Last night was certainly no exception when the discussion and the direction was focused on issues with the Super Raffle, the Golf Tournament, membership issues, the Sno-Traveler (specifically advertising costs in relationship to nearby states), this year's map (which will happen because last year's problems with major staff changes at BOT and a lack of ad sales on the NHSA side are completely resolved...), and the Grass Drags and the issues that had to addressed to insure success this year...

Terry, could you go back and carefully re-read your statement above and point out to me, as a snowmobiler, where you folks discussed anything related to snowmobiling last night?

And therein lies the rub with the NHSA. It is so infatuated with fundraising it has forgotten it's stated mission, to be the voice of the New Hampshire Snowmobiler, not the voice of the New Hampshire professional fund raiser!

I stand by my earlier comments and cheerfully await the day you and your organization prove me wrong. :sad:

This site is dedicated to airing issues pertaining to sledding in NH. So long as no profanity or personal attacks are tossed, everyone is entitled to an opinion without fear of censorship.

Terry, could you go back and carefully re-read your statement above and point out to me, as a snowmobiler, where you folks discussed anything related to snowmobiling last night?

I'll answer for Terry but im pretty sure that MAPS have something to do with SNOWMOBILING? Im just guessing!

I'll answer for Terry but im pretty sure that MAPS have something to do with SNOWMOBILING? Im just guessing!

Once again, go back and re-read the post....let me help you out a little "...this year's map (which will happen because last year's problems with major staff changes at BOT and a lack of ad sales on the NHSA side are completely resolved...

Ah yes, that pesky little problem with the "ad sales". What part of fundraising did you miss here?

As a sidenote, if you think the Sno-Traveller and the website are constantly out-of-date, then you have obviously never purchased one of the NHSA maps before. If you need an accurate and reliable map to sled by, you best better be investing in what your local club has to offer! :good:

First off Rok welcome you have just stepped into the den of some of the most passionate riders in the State. That being said take some time to look around on this site, Perhaps look for the earliest threads here and you will see this issue has come up before, Hopefully Terry will come to this site in the future and Brag about the good things NHSA is up to. the last time I saw him here he was talking about getting the snotraveler out sooner and it happened. As far as administrative questions, All I can say is I have left E-mails in the contact section of NHSA's site and never heard from them again. these things are annoying but when coupled with the lack of a return phone call from Their office it can make a member irate.Also when talking to other members and they have the same complaint,Well you can see that some folks around here are just Grumpy about the whole situation.....Hopefully we will see more of you here with good and bad news,Your thoughts on the sport,and maybe a pic or two of your trail work/rides in the future.What I am really trying to say is I hope your not Just here because you heard somebody was bashing NHSA.

I also am glad that the Traveler came out earlier than expected. I assume things at NHSA are like they are in the clubs; It's a large organization, but only a few do what's needed to be done. Maybe I'm wrong on that, I hope not. I do hope that the "voice" of NH snowmobiling will be heard, in that we vote out the people who only want the titles in the NHSA, but don't do anything to help us out while in office. And it IS good to hear from someone in the NHSA for both sides of the story.

Edited by smallengineguy

My impression of this site was it was supposed to be about working together, and here we go again, as soon as the subject of the Sno-Traveler comes up, the comes the slamming of the association, and then we are slamming a charity, Easter Seals.

Terry Callum

NHSA VP

Yes, this site discourages bashing, no matter if it be bashing of an individual or of an organization, but we also permit and encourage free speech, as long as it is done in a constructive manner. I think both sides need to remember that as we discuss this in an adult fashion.

This site is dedicated to airing issues pertaining to sledding in NH. So long as no profanity or personal attacks are tossed, everyone is entitled to an opinion without fear of censorship.

OT well put! But to others, I felt the VP statement was made in haste! But then I thought about it, and recalled this is all type,many things can be taken out of context in type as sounding mad! That said All I saw out of the VP"s post was fund raising myself! So with so many funds why can't the NHSA update and keep up????????????????????????

For those of you that might not be totally familiar with the issues at hand, the bulk of the angst expressed by a good number of folks that register their sleds in New Hampshire is the newly mandated (by the NHSA) forced membership issue.

To review, lets look at the New Hampshire law that allows snowmobile registration discounts:

215-C:39 Registration Fees. – The fees to be collected under this chapter are as follows:

I. Individual resident registration- $75 for each snowmobile registration upon presentation of a valid driver's license issued to a New Hampshire resident 18 years of age or older. An individual resident registering a snowmobile who provides proof, at the time of registration, that the individual is a member of an organized New Hampshire nonprofit snowmobile club which is a member of the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association shall pay $45 for each snowmobile .

The intent and verbiage of the RSA is quite clear. You must belong to an organized club that has membership in the NHSA, but you individually are not required to be a member of the NHSA. If the legislative intent was for the registration discount to a apply to NHSA members, then the RSA would simply state that.

With this law in effect, a number of snowmobilers initially opted to join a club to get the registration discount. This was the stated intent of the legislation, get more folks to join local clubs and introduce the snowmobile dollars directly where it's needed most, at the club level. The fly in the ointment for the NHSA was that a number of new club members were opting not to also check the additional box and join the NHSA. The NHSA hadn't (and still doesn't, in my opinion) made a strong enough case for all to want to join.

When the NHSA realized the revenue it was losing do to registrants opting out of joining their organization, they (the NHSA) came up with what I beleive was a clever ruse. Tell all the clubs that if the club did not force 100% of it's members to join the NHSA, then the NHSA's contracted umbrella insurance policy would not cover that club's respective equipment.

Ah, but wait. People got in line to see, in writing, unrefutable proof that 100% membership was indeed a legal and binding requirement. That written proof could then be submitted to the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office and the Insurance Commissioner for independent review of it's legality. But guess what, to this day no such verifiable proof has ever been offered. The simple act of displaying a legally verifiable document on the NHSA website is all that it would take for most of this argument to go away, a request that continues to fall on deaf ears with both the NHSAs elected and appointed officials.

But of course there are hundreds of thousands of reasons why I suspect this simple request has not been fulfilled. Quite frankly it involves the hundreds of thousands of dollars the NHSA collects each year by mandating that each club surrender to them basically a third of the dues collected from each member. Quite a racket, eh?

It's easy to see why the organization is so slow to respond to complaints, questions or criticism. If you collected the bulk of your organizations dues by force rather than by persuasion, you'd be slow to react also.

The problem is easy to state in a simple mathematical phrase: 100% forced membership = 0% accountablilty :sad: