Bigbut

Best Trails by Dixville Notch

Hi All,

Spent a couple days at the Balsams (very enjoyable) and would like to come back up this winter and do some sledding. I know there is a lot of conservation land around so though I would throw out a post for advice on the best rides/trails in the area. I look forward to your advice.

Thanks. :good:

BC

Between the Swift Diamond Trail Riders and the Umbagog Sportsmen's Club there are many miles of excellent trails in the area around Errol. From the Balsams lot you can reach Errol, Pitttsburg, or Colebrook in a short ride. My experience has been that Colebrook sometimes doesn't get the snow cover that Errol gets. Many of the trails are routed over logging roads so they tend to be wide and fast. Wide and fast trails tend to attract large crowds so, if possible, visit the area mid-week.

A popular ride is over Dixville Peak, which is close to the Balsams and is over 3400 feet high. Pick a nice day to visit the peak as the weather can be nasty in winter.

Thanks for the feedback. We hiked up to table rock which had an excellent view, can't wait to see what can be seen in the winter!

Spotted this picture while browsing through some pictures on my comouter. I think it's Dixville Peak several years ago.

Spotted this picture while browsing through some pictures on my comouter. I think it's Dixville Peak several years ago.

I took those pics years ago when we got really good snow in the blink of an eye when I used to groom for SDR.

Happy trails