Sign in to follow this  
Saluda

Another hit on the area economy

The Ethan Allen factory is closing. I heard about 260 people will be put out of work. Too bad, not much left in the area.

The Ethan Allen factory is closing. I heard about 260 people will be put out of work. Too bad, not much left in the area.

That 260 person number doesn't reflect the waves of lay offs that preceded that 260 number. Ethan Allen was a good employer and I'm afraid to think of the ripple effect that will be generated by it's closing. After unemployment benefits and severance pay runs out people will not be able to pay taxes and or mortgages which is going to impact local municipal budgets and property owners abilities to hang on to homes. This closing does not show the paper mills closing over the last few years adding to the complexity of what is really happening. :sad:

The next couple of years up here will not be too much fun unless some other business moves in to put some of these good workers back on the payroll.

path :nea: finder

I wish i could help those people out,

I could never understand how the guy at the bottom, works the hardest and gets the least.

Why not have bail out plan for those folks?

some how things will work out, have faith :good:

and they say the economy is becoming stronger every day (no the people with money and wealth become stronger every day )because they fire all the hard workers and ship their jobs over seas

The northwoods needs stable industries..

A large federal prison complex...like the Berlin prison but maybe larger...

Several bio-mass power plants...

Several pellet plants...

I come from a place in Ca where they built 2 state prisons in a 50 mile radius. It didn't help the economy. Sure it does put a few jobs out there, but there will be 1000's apply for it. How many people in that area have law enforcement back ground? They will take those people first. Ex military law, back ground checks, police officers who want to transfer out of the area in another state to there. This is what happened in Ca. Some of the jobs will go to local people, warehouse, and some gaurds will be hired. But don't look for it to be all local. Don't get me wrong, i hope it would all be local, just do expect it.

I think some new "green" jobs are coming and everyone will be back to work soon,, :nea:

I think some new "green" jobs are coming and everyone will be back to work soon,, :nea:

LOL :rofl: Very good Chris. You are a witty guy! :good:

Mark :drinks:

ICG    5

? ? ? do you mean mowing & raking lawns in June & July ?