Sign in to follow this  
sledd

Ossipee Lake/Broad Bay Report

As seen on the webcam, sleds are crossing Broad Bay. To those who are a little unfamiliar of Ossipee waters, do not joy ride out there thinking all is safe. Look at the map attatched for a good reference for navigating the lake. Cross Broad Bay in the main stream path from the Marina, past the island, straight across, no turns out of the crossing trail, vice versa. I say this, because this weekend there were a pair of sleds heading toward the current flow that leads into the bay, luckily they seen the water and turned. Share the map.

I blazed out a nice trail across Leavitt Bay also, the trail across Leavitt to get gas is safe. I also trailed out the lake edge from Broad Bay to the Main lake. It is a little tight around some docks, but its doable without crossing thin ice. Also it should get much better this week as the lake drops a bit lower.

I crossed Main lake and also drilled holes out there, 10-12" of black ice, probally more now and certainly after this week. Also there is a huge ice ridge along a small portion of Long Sands that is like a wall, be careful at night or if its snowing. I hope the map helps for those who may need it. Stay away from the red and follow the yellow. I tried to post it larger but not sure how yet. PM me and i can send you a larger copy, also any suggestions for the map and I can insert more guidelines. :good:

Edited by sledd

As seen on the webcam, sleds are crossing Broad Bay. To those who are a little unfamiliar of Ossipee waters, do not joy ride out there thinking all is safe. Look at the map attatched for a good reference for navigating the lake. Cross Broad Bay in the main stream path from the Marina, past the island, straight across, no turns out of the crossing trail, vice versa. I say this, because this weekend there were a pair of sleds heading toward the current flow that leads into the bay, luckily they seen the water and turned. Share the map.

I blazed out a nice trail across Leavitt Bay also, the trail across Leavitt to get gas is safe. I also trailed out the lake edge from Broad Bay to the Main lake. It is a little tight around some docks, but its doable without crossing thin ice. Also it should get much better this week as the lake drops a bit lower.

I crossed Main lake and also drilled holes out there, 10-12" of black ice, probally more now and certainly after this week. Also there is a huge ice ridge along a small portion of Long Sands that is like a wall, be careful at night or if its snowing. I hope the map helps for those who may need it. Stay away from the red and follow the yellow. I tried to post it larger but not sure how yet. PM me and i can send you a larger copy, also any suggestions for the map and I can insert more guidelines. :good:

Thanks Sledd. I try to avoid the lakes but would like to get over to Welch Top from Danforth Bay and wasn't sure of the route. I hear it's a great view from there.

I know it looks a little red and tricky. I just figured this could help newtimers to this lake area a bit maybe.. Once you know the lake you'll be able to be a bit more loose with the routes and how you want to approach etc..

The picture left is an exmaple, that is the current that flows into Broad bay which can carry into the bay and vary ice depth. at times it can get snowed over and be deceiving. However if you follow the yellow you'll have no worries.

The Broad Bay cam is to the right of the open water (shown left ) a few hundred yards.

Edited by sledd

Thanks Sledd. I try to avoid the lakes but would like to get over to Welch Top from Danforth Bay and wasn't sure of the route. I hear it's a great view from there.

The map Sledd provided is very accurate. I need to put a few more signs out yet, but John is going out today to "break trail"...just follow the tracks and you should have no issues.

There are two small blow downs up on Welch, but both can be crossed easily enough. I will get up there to remove them shortly.

Just got back from "breaking trail" on Welch Top. As OT said, there are a couple of blow downs on the trail that are easy to navigate. With a little more snow you wouldn't even know they are there.

004-6.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

I know it looks a little red and tricky. I just figured this could help newtimers to this lake area a bit maybe.. Once you know the lake you'll be able to be a bit more loose with the routes and how you want to approach etc..

The picture left is an exmaple, that is the current that flows into Broad bay which can carry into the bay and vary ice depth. at times it can get snowed over and be deceiving. However if you follow the yellow you'll have no worries.

The Broad Bay cam is to the right of the open water (shown left ) a few hundred yards.

I'm familar with the bay as I boat there in the summer. Where is the open water in your avatar? It looks like the opening to Leavitt Bay, which means your place is over near the town beach?

The map Sledd provided is very accurate. I need to put a few more signs out yet, but John is going out today to "break trail"...just follow the tracks and you should have no issues.

There are two small blow downs up on Welch, but both can be crossed easily enough. I will get up there to remove them shortly.

Thanks OT. May try to get up there this weekend. Looks real nice! :good:

I'm familar with the bay as I boat there in the summer. Where is the open water in your avatar? It looks like the opening to Leavitt Bay, which means your place is over near the town beach?

"The Broad Bay cam is to the right of the open water (shown left ) a few hundred yards."

Reading this^^ and looking at the pic I would guess he's either very near the Marina or on the south east corner of broad....I know the south east corner is higher ground, and that would fit in with the pic and description......

EDIT:

I think Saber lives @ the bottom left of Johns last picture...on "this side" of the bay as seen in the pic.

"The Broad Bay cam is to the right of the open water (shown left ) a few hundred yards."

Reading this^^ and looking at the pic I would guess he's either very near the Marina or on the south east corner of broad....I know the south east corner is higher ground, and that would fit in with the pic and description......

EDIT:

I think Saber lives @ the bottom left of Johns last picture...on "this side" of the bay as seen in the pic.

Sounds about right OT. You're talking about Sledd not Saber, right?

Edited by Sabercat

Sounds about right OT. You're talking about Sledd not Saber, right?

Yes, I'm fighting a brain fart, sorry.

Sledd,

excellent job, you were very exact with your sketch. The yellow lines are exactly where we have traveled for years. Before the almighty ones in concord banned water crossing, those red spots were my targets, in my young and dumb days.....

Sledd,

excellent job, you were very exact with your sketch. The yellow lines are exactly where we have traveled for years. Before the almighty ones in concord banned water crossing, those red spots were my targets, in my young and dumb days.....

You're not dumb if you stayed dry!! Just skilled, I'm not one to water cross but too many liberals moving up here trying to protect us from ourselves. It's called natural selection, they may have saved a few from drowning but nature will take out others to balance things out.

Nice job on the maps too Sledd!!

Edited by The Toolman

Thanks and no problem.. I wish i could help more. When Im up there I do my best to drive on the edges and clear what needs to be. As I mentioned, right now its the hockey with the kid that ties things up, for example, and its ok to laugh at this, I have to leave for a hockey tourny friday morning to go to Montreal, -30 degrees this weekend, :wacko: ..... :rofl:

As far as location, Im located right where that photo is from, thats off my deck. its just before the bouy that is anchored in the middle of the water where the warden hangs during the summer, before you get down to the sand bar area. Red House up on the hill, not way down in the muddy cove, its just as you leave the big part of the bay up on the left.. My shanty sits out there now if you drive by you'll know then. A few of you may have come through my driveway this past weekend to avoid the tight edge on the south end of the bay coming from Main lake, anytime....

Yes Im from Mass, but Ive been on Ossipee my whole life since 1972. I envy.

photo this past weekend.

Thanks and no problem.. I wish i could help more. When Im up there I do my best to drive on the edges and clear what needs to be. As I mentioned, right now its the hockey with the kid that ties things up, for example, and its ok to laugh at this, I have to leave for a hockey tourny friday morning to go to Montreal, -30 degrees this weekend, :wacko: ..... :rofl:

We'll there's always St. Cathrines St. to warm up the soul a bit. :good: Thanks for the maps. I'm not familiar with those lakes down there. I found myself at the campground near where the bearcamp dumps into the big lake last season and wasn't really too keen on crossing without knowing where to go. :drinks:

We'll there's always St. Cathrines St. to warm up the soul a bit. :good: Thanks for the maps. I'm not familiar with those lakes down there. I found myself at the campground near where the bearcamp dumps into the big lake last season and wasn't really too keen on crossing without knowing where to go. :drinks:

You weren't that far from Welch Top. Maybe this year one of us can give you a tour. You really should ride across the bridge you helped build.

How thick is the ice near your ice house?

11" thick right there last weekend. It looks sketchy as you drive by because of the open water out near the bouy, however as you know it gets real shallow from the point to that bouy which directs the current to the far shoreline.

Great job on that bridge also.. sweet!

Edited by sledd

As far as location, Im located right where that photo is from, thats off my deck. its just before the bouy that is anchored in the middle of the water where the warden hangs during the summer, before you get down to the sand bar area. Red House up on the hill, not way down in the muddy cove, its just as you leave the big part of the bay up on the left.. My shanty sits out there now if you drive by you'll know then. A few of you may have come through my driveway this past weekend to avoid the tight edge on the south end of the bay coming from Main lake, anytime....

photo this past weekend.

Now I know where you are Sledd. I cruised that area many times at "headway speed". Thanks again!

Tim    0

photo this past weekend.

Is that near the Torre's?

You weren't that far from Welch Top. Maybe this year one of us can give you a tour. You really should ride across the bridge you helped build.

Yeah....sounds good to me. :good: Well, I saw Welch Top beyond the southern part of the lake. I was tempted but there was open water were the Bearcamp was dumping in, and a few days prior, there were some people that went through, so I wasn't going to start exploring by myself. Once the rails are up to snuff, I'll make a run down to catch up with you guys. :drinks:

Tim    0

I think so, Torre rings a bell and i think they are in the cove where my beech lot is but my house is up high so i dont see them all the time... Tim you use to store my fathers boat but then it sunk in June 98. You know who and where we are. I think you had a few brews on my beech about 20 years ago.. and i think that was you working on Levitsky 's boat back in late august or early september, my beech is next to his, deepest into the cove. The infamous Cash's. How is the marina gonna make out? I hope it works out... :drinks:

Yeah that was me working on the Baja. Marina is going to be fine, typical Ossipee Lake Alliance making it look worst than it is. I tired of hearing the same thing over and over!! Wow 20 years! That sounds about right.

I think so, Torre rings a bell and i think they are in the cove where my beech lot is but my house is up high so i dont see them all the time... Tim you use to store my fathers boat but then it sunk in June 98. You know who and where we are. I think you had a few brews on my beech about 20 years ago.. and i think that was you working on Levitsky 's boat back in late august or early september, my beech is next to his, deepest into the cove. The infamous Cash's. How is the marina gonna make out? I hope it works out... :drinks:

Couldn't have been twenty years he wasn't old enough to drink then!! :lol:

Tim    0
Couldn't have been twenty years he wasn't old enough to drink then!! :lol:

Oh right must have like 15 years ago. ;)