Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

Interesting story about a local guy

A 91-year old local guy recently died, and the Concord Monitor wrote this story about him and his connection to a local snowmobile club (the NH Trail Dawgs)

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Ted-Bailey-explored-many-trails-in-Chichester-41710982

I suspect that many NH clubs have similar stories.

21 minutes ago, jhwentworth said:

A 91-year old local guy recently died, and the Concord Monitor wrote this story about him and his connection to a local snowmobile club (the NH Trail Dawgs)

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Ted-Bailey-explored-many-trails-in-Chichester-41710982

I suspect that many NH clubs have similar stories.

Great read! I have had the pleasure of knowing  several individuals that had a level of dedication that was scary. Without people like Ted Bailey our system would be a fraction of what it evolved into. I think we are up to about 7000 miles in the state and most of it is on private land, access of which is very fragile...

God Bless Ted Bailey...He will be missed

pathfinder

MY favorite line was the statement from the club's treasurer that he "never recalls seeing him (Baily) on a snowmobile". While that's a bit extreme, I think there's a lot of dedicated club members who are in snowmobile clubs for something other than just the riding. I'd say that's also true of volunteer fire departments and many other volunteer organizations. They give a lot, and they get a lot.

RIP, thanks for the posting.

A lot of the system was built when riding on a property only meant it wasn't posted against the access.

When they changed the law to positive posting, several of our local landowners had never given permission, never knew that they could stop it - some thought that being in current use required them to provide access or thought that the power line easement allowed access -  so on, and so on.

Even to this day, with land changing hands so often... it is impossible to tell how much of the system is actually legal.

A section of trail here passes between two parcels that have been sold each more than four times in the last decade... and each landowner thinks the trail is on the other party's land.