Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

Help with Union Leader cartoon

Today's Sunday News editorial cartoon is snowmobile-related. There doesn't seem to be any written content nearby that relates to the possible subject matter of the cartoon. Any idea what this cartoon is about? (It's on page B4 of the 1/24/2021 Sunday News)

Sled (Medium).PNG

Not sure about this one.

The multi use trails that involve hikers and snowmobilers and possible friction?  There are a lot of behind the scenes inter relationships between these multiple use groups. I am involved in the COOS trail and have seen people getting involved moving bog bridge materials (10ft 4x4s PT, 3ft 4x6 PT) by snowmobile to areas that can't be reached any other way. The cartoon almost implies that large amounts of traffic represent a threat to hikers out there using system in winter. I have never seen that happen in upper COOS, even though we are graced with the presence of an occasional dog team (always a hoot to see) there is plenty of room to accommodate anyone who wants to get out there.

pathfinder

Maybe its a warning to anyone who wants to walk on a trail (which I don't have a problem with), needs to recognize that they are on a trail, and should take some extra caution?

If you ride any of the trails close to Franconia Notch, there tends to be lots of people just out for a walk in the trails, you need to be really careful. 

Maybe I'm being too kind. 

Or - Maybe they forget that without the sled clubs, there would be no trails. Just ask the people looking for the lost trails around the Castle in the Clouds. 

The quality of the Union Leader has diminished greatly in the past 5-10 years. There's a lot of their print that I just don't read anymore because it's just not credible.

12 hours ago, PolarisCobra said:

Maybe its a warning to anyone who wants to walk on a trail (which I don't have a problem with), needs to recognize that they are on a trail, and should take some extra caution?

If you ride any of the trails close to Franconia Notch, there tends to be lots of people just out for a walk in the trails, you need to be really careful. 

Maybe I'm being too kind. 

Or - Maybe they forget that without the sled clubs, there would be no trails. Just ask the people looking for the lost trails around the Castle in the Clouds. 

The Notch trails... specifically the Bike Path, is a non-motorized trail with a perpetual waiver for snowmobiles.

Technically, pedestrians have the right-of-way in all cases, but have been trained to step to the side of the trail and allow for the faster traffic to pass.

The Bike Path is marked 25mph, but F&G have been caught using 45mph as the legal limit.

I believe the cartoon is in regards to speeding, but most specifically on trails were the waiver could be removed.

The cartoon reminds me of the RR Bed near Lowes Garage in Randolph.   There is a popular hiking parking lot and the trail crosses the RR Bed.  I haven't been there in years,  but I remember stopping a lot there for hikers.

Could be. I believe that is a TE financed property acquisition. On TE acquired properties, OHRV are restricted, while snowmobiles have a waiver. The OHRV can acquire a special use permit... but only for a specified period... usually no more than a day or two.

Most of the State-owned RR that have those OHRV restrictions are due to the TE financed acquisition.