Yesterday we had a one day warmup yesterday with temps in the 40's.  Unfortunately it did not get that cold last night and we paid the price today when we went riding in Swift Diamond and Pittsburg where many of the trails were in rough shape.  Most likely the groomers were not able to get out yesterday or last night due to the warm temps so we picked our way through the system on Primary Trails and tried to avoid the Corridor trails.  After 40 miles of bumping around we worked our way back south to the Millsfield area and got another 20 miles of riding in there where trails were in better shape.  There were a lot of sleds out.  I did not count but we surely passed over 150 sleds.  This is on a Thursday so I cannot imagine what it will be like for the next 3 days. We also saw tons of sleds at LL Cote's and Log Haven.  It really looked like a Saturday.  Some good news -  we got 2"-3" of flurries this morning when the cold front came in.  Sled activity should drop off next week after NH school vacation week is over but warmer temps are expected so we will have to see how this all plays out.

Edited by ljgomes

Monday was in the mid-30s with light rain.  Monday afternoon the sun came out for one hour then all hell broke loose with snow squalls, falling temps and very heavy winds.  Temps bottomed out in the single digits this morning and the trails looked icy with no loose snow for sliders.  We did not lose much snow with the warmup. Power was out for most of Tuesday morning and even the paved roads were icy plus covered in evergreen needles and small branches.  We did not ride today, but we did see that some groomers went out in the Berlin area.  We plan on riding tomorrow (Wednesday) in the Swift Diamond and Pittsburg area.  With temps expected in the high 20's, the icy surface should break up enough for slider lubrication and cooling.

Edited by ljgomes

Ty. I'm hoping to salvage some riding for Saturday through Nash stream possibly dixville area. If it's narley in am like it was couple weeks ago, ride will be short.

Did a 100 mile ride today starting from the Rt. 26 parking lot in Dixville up through Swift Diamond and Pittsburg territory.  Saw 160 sleds and two groomers during the ride and I would rate the trails as follows: 25% Great, 50% moderate, 25% rough.  I think these two clubs are still trying to repair the damage from the massive amount of sleds that were up there last week and also the warm temps of Monday. We went west in the Pittsburg system and tried to ride up Indian Stream Road, but did not see any signs of recent grooming so we turned around and headed east and north and made a loop around the northern end of Second Connecticut Lake, staying more in the center of their trail system.  I spoke with a couple of riders who told me the trails to the east of the Connecticut lakes out to the Maine border were all in good shape, but we did not actually ride those trails.  It was a perfect day for riding.  Cloudy all day, temps in the mid-20's with snow flurries all day.  Between last night and today we picked up about 2 inches of new powder.  It was a nice ride and the good news is that the warmup gave the clubs much better snow to work with.  Where they have groomed, the base is now solid packed snow instead of the loose dry powder we have had all winter.  The forecast has changed and now it is supposed to be very cold on Friday and Saturday.  That will reduce traffic plus give the clubs great weather to continue their grooming.

21 hours ago, AdrenalineJunky said:

Ty. I'm hoping to salvage some riding for Saturday through Nash stream possibly dixville area. If it's narley in am like it was couple weeks ago, ride will be short.

I suggest you go up Nash Stream Road (Cor. 5) to Cor. 28 and then ride the trails in the Millsfield area.  They have been fantastic all season (so has Groveton's trails).  The trail down from Dixville Peak to Trail 134 (Nathan Pond Trail by the Balsams) is a mess until you cross under Rt. 26.  Its 5mph for over 2 miles due to the bumps.  That section of trail needs major excavation work.  I don't think 5 feet of snow would allow it to be groomed.  I was told most of the trail is granite outcroppings so to fill in between those with snow is just about impossible.   To head north of Rt. 26 you should take the Flume trail.  From Millsfield, follow the signs to Log Haven.  Take a left at the last intersection before Log Haven onto Primary Trail 113 and that is the best route north.  Check out this great interactive map on the NHSA site to plan your trip:  https://nhsa.evtrails.com/#

Edited by ljgomes

Being reciprocal weekend, on Saturday we decided to try riding in Maine.  We trailered up to the parking lot at Chickwolnepy Road in Dummer.  This is at the southern end of the Milan All Weather Riders club system which is in Dummer and Success.  We took Trail 114 to  Cor. 12 north to Cor. 18 east and then connected with ITS 182 in Maine.  As soon as we crossed over, it was apparent they were using snowmobile groomers and drags with the trails being dish shaped from side to side and having these long humps that are actually pretty fun to ride if you don't go to fast.  The larger trails are about 10' wide and the smaller trails were 5' wide with lots of twists and turns.  It kind of brought me back to the mid-80's when we first started riding in New Hampshire on the trails in Grafton county.  The Maine trails were very well marked and they had maps posted at some intersections which was very helpful.  We did about 30 miles in the trail system south of Upton, Maine.  I would rate the trail conditions we rode in Maine as good.  We headed back to NH and decided to make a few loops though the Milan All Weather Riders system.  When we first started, Cor. 12 and Cor. 18 were a bit choppy.  Once we got off the numbered trails and into their club trails, conditions were excellent.  The groomer had just been through on several of these trails and it was speed limit riding on these trails.  During our 62 mile ride we saw a total of 65 sleds.  From there we trailered up to Pittsburg and participated in the Parade of Lights on Back Lake.  If you want to see more about this event check my new post about this topic.

Pittsburg got 6-7 inches last night and still coming down. Sure made things look better and give the groomers something to work their magic on.

pathfinder

We got 2" of new snow overnight in Stark, but by mid-afternoon today, most of that had melted.  Trails in our area are not looking good.  Lots of dirt showing at all road crossings.  We are all done riding for the year.  We took our last ride on Monday 3/8 and it was a bit disappointing.  Even though all the trails were covered, they were rough. I talked to a groomer operator in Berlin and they were out the same day we were riding but the snow was so frozen, the drags would not move it.  Even with the blade down they were having trouble loosening it up.  By Wednesday, temps were in the 50's and the base was melting fast.  We never really built up a good base this year since just about every storm was powder and that did not pack very well.  We had 7 consecutive weeks of great riding so I am not complaining.  But with a good base, and a cold March, we have ridden on Easter weekend in past years.

Thanks Larry for your detailed and straightforward, honest reports. We appreciate it!

From the NH BoT

Great North Woods Region

Clubs have put away their groomers for the season.  Predicted warm temps for the rest of this week and the weekend will eat away at what snow is left quickly. 

Pittsburg Ridge Runners, Pittsburg: As of March 17th club reports that groomers are planning on going out through this Saturday IF temps allow and then will be back home due to warm weather and will not go out again unless temps allow (not looking good in next week’s forecast).  There is a tree down on Corridor 20 south of the village, 146 from top of the Town Farm @ Corridor 20 to Moose Pond Road/Malvina is losing snow, areas to the north, east and west still have good snow coverage.

Colebrook Ski-Bees, Colebrook/Stewartstown:  Club groomed last on March 16th, spring conditions, lower elevation and town trails are dirt.

Swift Diamond Riders, Stewartstown (Coleman State Park/Diamond Pond):  Moderate spring conditions.

Umbagog Snowmobile Association, Errol/Cambridge/Millsfield:  Club groomed last on March 17th, spring conditions, lower elevation and town trails are dirt.

Stratford Nighthawks, Stratford/Columbia: As of March 17th club reports that lower elevation/valley/town trails have bare areas/exposed rocks, spring conditions.  Logging still going on at Meridan Hill, Corridor 7.

Groveton Trailblazers, Northumberland/Groveton/Stark:  Club groomed last on March 17th, spring conditions, lower elevation trails have dirt, in town trails CLOSED.

Milan All Weather Riders, Milan:  CLOSED

Lancaster Snowdrifters, Lancaster:  CLOSED

White Mountain Ridge Runners, Berlin/Success: CLOSED

Jericho Mountain State Park: Trails are CLOSED for snowmobiles and OHRVs due to mud season.  At this time, the hope is to have them open on May 23, 2021, but that will depend on the weather and the trail conditions.

Dalton Ridge Runners: CLOSED