classicdmax

NHSA safety course

I tried last night to initiate the online course for my 11yo son. I was aware that it is necessary for a 12yo rider, but did not know you couldn’t take test until he is actually 12yo. His birthday is beginning of February, and considering lack of snow now I guess it really doesnt matter. I thought I’ve read somewhere before of younger riders testing prior to 12 so they were ready to rock n role come bday time.....

Your son would be able to take the in-person class if they were taking place. My son and daughter took their classes with several 11 year olds. The safety card simply isn't issued until the child's 12th bday.

You are correct...the online course can only be taken once your son has turned 12.

If you only want him to take the class for the knowledge. Sign yourself up, and let him go through it. He can take it again next year when he is the right age, and get his cert. 

Or better yet, do it together. I took my nephew to an in person class some years ago, definitely learned a few things sitting in the back. 

When I was teaching classes....anyone that would turn 12 during the season could take it.  Now with snowmobiles and ATV it is 12 month season almost.  The early days of certification i would do a multiple class of snow and atv so when your were certified you were certified for both.  in some cases i would hold their card and mail it when they were of age.

Thanks for the input

looks like we’ll be waiting til feb 7

I think that getting a young person to take a safety class is of paramount importance. As the sport has evolved over the last60 or so years, the potential for injuries to people of any age increases. When I started riding in 64 on a Doo tin cab that would do about 30-35 I almost got killed a couple of times from ignorance and flipperitis. When I had my touring business and was out there every day for years ,I was appalled to see parents putting their "smarter than average" kids on 600's or larger, that couldn't even reach the running boards with their feet. I know we all think are kids are smarter than the average, but the risk these actions present are nothing short of deadly. Sorry for the rant, but it still pushes a button when I see it happening all too often out there....

pathfinder

I get it, seen it myself

this is his 5th year on a sled, 3rd on his current 370. I think he got a few more years before he’s on 600

Certification still applies to both. The online focuses on being 12 because of its technical format. 

Since the online can be taken the day, or the day after, their birthday... it works. We would normally take younger riders in class, because the schedule may not provide a reasonable opportunity at various times throughout the year to meet the statutory requirement of having one once you turned 12.

Maine IF&W safety unit #207-287-5220 are still holding on-line safety courses . They are probably accepted in NH but not sure, also not sure of age requirements but it be worth a simple phone call if it can be taken on line. Answers might also be found on the Maine Snowmobile association web site

Was your son able to take the Maine safety course on line - we are waiting to hear if he is able to ride  ❄️

I took a safety class in Goffstown with my son a few years ago. I have been snowmobiling my whole life and I found it informative. I think everyone should have to take it. 

1 hour ago, snorander said:

I took a safety class in Goffstown with my son a few years ago. I have been snowmobiling my whole life and I found it informative. I think everyone should have to take it. 

Ditto. F&G consistently reports inexperience as being the cause of serious accidents. 

I looked on maines website and didn’t see anything concerning safety course....maybe I didn’t look hard enough

at this point I’ll be waiting until his birthday on feb 7