Sign in to follow this  
PolarisCobra

Could be tough to get out this season

Noticed this on Facebook this morning. If NH and Maine put in a policy like this, my sled stays parked for the winter, will no be welcome anywhere. Not saying this is the wrong approach from a health and safety standpoint, and health and safety is important. Just saying I won't be able to ride. Maybe with a recent Covid test, will have to see how that shakes out.

May be time to hope there are some decent trails in western MA...

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Snowmobiling-in-Vermont-and-COVID-19.html?soid=1113019244226&aid=DzJpZZA-YuA

1 hour ago, PolarisCobra said:

Noticed this on Facebook this morning. If NH and Maine put in a policy like this, my sled stays parked for the winter, will no be welcome anywhere. Not saying this is the wrong approach from a health and safety standpoint, and health and safety is important. Just saying I won't be able to ride. Maybe with a recent Covid test, will have to see how that shakes out.

May be time to hope there are some decent trails in western MA...

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Snowmobiling-in-Vermont-and-COVID-19.html?soid=1113019244226&aid=DzJpZZA-YuA

Note this line:  "they can quarantine in their own home outside of Vermont for fourteen days, or they can come to Vermont and quarantine for the same amount of time. Another option is that they can quarantine for seven days and after seven days get a COVID test and carry the results with them."

That's the problem the states have with enforcing these restrictions; how do they enforce the quarantine if it's done in another state? The state is relying on you to self-report you didn't quarantine. NH had a similar rule for travelers from outside New England, and it was widely ignored.

I can't see Vermont, or any other state, putting much effort into enforcement of this type of rule.

I agree that enforcement will be tricky, especially for day travelers. We often do 3 - 4 day trips, staying in a hotel. Maybe a Covid test will be enough to get me by. Also, we typically look to ride to a town, have some lunch, and continue on. If the restaurants are all closed, or are take out only, its going to be tougher, especially if we cannot access rest rooms, as we often travel with our wives. My wife has answered the call of nature off the side of a trail before, but it is by no means her first choice....

It is going to be a little different than in year's past, but it should only be one season. By next year, we should be well on the way to mass vaccination if all goes well.

I think the real issue will be how well we behave leading up to the season and holding through it.

If part of the population presses it a little too hard, the Governors' reactions are going to be far worse.

A agree. Things are surely going in the wrong direction right now. Some of it is unavoidable, but I think 'we' could do better. 

Whatever you think about the benefits of wearing a mask, I think wearing one makes lots of people more comfortable, particularly the people who can make decisions around our ability to visit NH from out of state, and our ability to get out and ride, which includes getting fuel and food. 

I don't think anyone is worried about people being out on the trails, the issue is stopping and going inside buildings. 

One thing I am thinking about is renting a cabin for trips this year, and avoiding hotels. Maybe even a loop that gets me back to the cabin for lunch, rather than trying to find a restaurant someplace. 

Maybe its time for all of us to pay a bit more attention to Bruce's trailside cooking tips...

On 11/19/2020 at 11:27 PM, John Mercier said:

It is going to be a little different than in year's past, but it should only be one season. By next year, we should be well on the way to mass vaccination if all goes well.

I think the real issue will be how well we behave leading up to the season and holding through it.

If part of the population presses it a little too hard, the Governors' reactions are going to be far worse.

I agree that our governor has taken a prudent, middle-of-the-road path in his handling of the COVID pandemic, and believe he will continue to do so. His last emergency proclamation #74 requires people to wear face masks when in public areas, but doesn't provide for penalties if the proclamation is violated. BTW: This proclamation was issued well after the recent election.

That said, the last election installed a Republican majority in the House, the Senate, and the Executive Council. It remains to be seen what their position on appropriate government actions on COVID will be. We'll have a clue when the leadership of the House and Senate is named.

The legislature may terminate a state of emergency by concurrent resolution adopted by a majority vote of each chamber. The governor's power to renew a declaration of a state of emergency shall terminate upon the adoption of a concurrent resolution under this subparagraph; provided, however, that such resolution shall not preclude the governor from declaring a new emergency for different circumstances under paragraph I of this section. N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 4:45.

Across the states, this, or something like it, is a pretty common situation.

Edited by jhwentworth

Pretty sure that he isn't concerned with the legislative reaction; his main focus would be on the longer term economic outcomes.

We've been an essential operation, open all the way through, but in May... mainly due to the  Big Boxes and other placing masking requirements on customers... we overheated. Since I don't really need this particular job, I took two weeks off. That made them overheat quite a bit more - my sales numbers are higher than the others around me, and about twice as high as anyone else in our department. We nearly cancelled walk-ins, which would have made any ''masking requirement'' moot. 

Just last week, our Hampton location had a case among the employees - seems that they got it from outside the operation - but with that employee out, along with others that were upset. The location is now curb-side service only. The specialty sales force has decided to work from home when they can, and you have to make an appointment to enter the showroom due to the lower staffing.

An outbreak like we are starting to experience has consequences that can't be easily resolved by a political position. This is something that should have been learned in the Spring. It has been a long-held Republican strategy that we should remove more children from public schools toward private and home, but when the option arrived... the only thing that they could come with is we need to immediately reopen the schools. 

These types of black swan events are the means to learn what will work over time, and what is just being coddled along. It is the same for political strategy as it is for business.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, PolarisCobra said:

Maybe its time for all of us to pay a bit more attention to Bruce's trailside cooking tips...

I think I've found an alternative solution for you. I'm not disparaging Bruce's trailside cooking, but this might also provide a good experience, although at a slightly higher price point..

https://spark.adobe.com/page/vHmj3oK1Uxqyi/

Looks like the BLYE House/Camp:D Trail Side Chef Included.   I do think if we could have an Old Grass Roots Winter when everyone can ride out of/or in their own back yard it will distribute the riders throughout the state and the pressures of concentrated riding areas.   Trail Side Cookin  will be the norm this winter as well as returns to the cabin or home for lunch.  So step it up a notch and get ready.  During the week should not be a problem at restaurants but think of the new way to handle yourself to limit exposure.  Don't be hanging your helmet on the same post the last person did {hung on the mouth side)...take the helmet to your seat!   Go dig into those community plate of nacho's...don't think so! 

That place does have promise. But unless I hit the lottery (not likely, I never buy tickets), it is a bit out of my range, especially for the four people that would likely in our group. I guess if you can get 12 people together and split the cost it gets more reasonable. 

And yes, more snow an open trails in the southern part of the state would make day trips easier. 

12 hours ago, CATRESERVE said:

Looks like the BLYE House/Camp:D Trail Side Chef Included.   I do think if we could have an Old Grass Roots Winter when everyone can ride out of/or in their own back yard it will distribute the riders throughout the state and the pressures of concentrated riding areas.   Trail Side Cookin  will be the norm this winter as well as returns to the cabin or home for lunch.  So step it up a notch and get ready.  During the week should not be a problem at restaurants but think of the new way to handle yourself to limit exposure.  Don't be hanging your helmet on the same post the last person did {hung on the mouth side)...take the helmet to your seat!   Go dig into those community plate of nacho's...don't think so! 

You should open up for business...grilling trailside!

On a side note, one of the area's favorite lunch destinations is out of business...

To our loyal friends and neighbors,

It is with great sadness that we must announce that Plain Jane's is permanently closed. Covid took too much of a toll on our business and, in the current environment, we cannot continue to operate. We thank you all for your patronage and support through this difficult time. Bill and the staff wish you all good health and prosperity in the coming year looking at Covid with 20/20 hindsight.
Sincerely,
Bill, Mikki, Cathy, Laura, Nick, Bixby, Connor, Tori, Kurt, Ben, Susan, Simone, Chloe, Addie, Hannah, Deb, Kelly, and anyone who joined us on this journey.

2 hours ago, rossi46 said:

On a side note, one of the area's favorite lunch destinations is out of business...

Sorry to hear that. It was often the right place at the right time when we rode at Baker River.

A long time ago there was a thread here that talked about trailside restaurants and lodging. Something like like that could be useful now in dealing with COVID putting stress on service providers. 

I have stopped at Plain Janes several times, an always liked it. It's a shame to see these businesses close. No fault of the owners or employees who worked for years to build a business. 

Plain Janes will be missed and was always a good place for people to park.  New management last year and some parking issues but did not even get a chance to make a good go of it.  The Snow Drifters even cut a new trail to it since the original bridge had washed out.  Hopefully we will see it back on line in the future after this mess is over.