Sign in to follow this  
PolarisCobra

Storm Last Night

Got LOTS of wind here in central Ma last night from the tropical storm. Many power outages, trees down, branches everywhere. One band of heavy rain for us, not much really. 

Did you get much damage up there? Wondering about downed trees on trails. Given that everyone is going to be short of cash this year due to limited fundraising, we don't need  more work to do. 

2 hours ago, PolarisCobra said:

Got LOTS of wind here in central Ma last night from the tropical storm. Many power outages, trees down, branches everywhere. One band of heavy rain for us, not much really. 

Did you get much damage up there? Wondering about downed trees on trails. Given that everyone is going to be short of cash this year due to limited fundraising, we don't need  more work to do. 

Got a lot of wind as well, but not as much rain as was being expected. My power went out at 8PM and was out until 4 AM. Looking around I don't see  a lot of debris as you would expect. The wind was enough to be concerned about blow downs, which are an endless chore. Couple of weeks ago I spent 7 hours clearing a section of the COOS hiking trail that happens to go over Covell Mtn. Two of us worked hard, got half of it cleared, and ran out of steam. Snowmobile trails  are anybody's guess, but I think it's a tad messy out there...

pathfinder

Mother Nature isn't being kind to us this year. She better cough up plenty of good rideable snow come January, or else...  :banghead:

On 8/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, PolarisCobra said:

Mother Nature isn't being kind to us this year. She better cough up plenty of good rideable snow come January, or else...  :banghead:

NOAA has released a La Niña watch giving a 50-55% chance of a La Niña pattern developing in the fall and lasting through winter. La Nina tends to bring in colder and wetter winter weather to the northern United States, including New England. 

I know, I know, it's been a hot, dry, summer. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/22/how-la-nina-could-impact-new-england-weather-this-year/

So, all we have to do is get on the right side of that 50%+ prediction of a cold, wet, winter, somehow deal with COVID-19, and find the revenue/resources to support our trail system. Sounds doable, maybe.....

As individuals, the only one of the three factors that we can influence is the revenue/resource side.

Update 9/10/2020

The Climate Prediction Center stated that "La Niña conditions are present and are likely to continue through the Northern Hemisphere winter (~75% chance)."

A bit of further reading showed that not all New Hampshire La Nina winters are created equal. Turns out that a strong La Nina winter typically produces less snow than a weak La Nina winter. https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/what-about-snow-during-la-niña-winters

Edited by jhwentworth

I thin the resources are OK for this year... my concern would be for the spending of next season.

Plenty of time, but it has to be worked out with too many variables to really focus a plan.