Sign in to follow this  
Skip

Grass Drags Cancelled

Very sorry to hear this but it was expected. Our Seven Lakes Club always works hard during the set up and uses the money to pay bills. 

As a primary source of income for NHSA this is going to affect the sport in a big way. We all remember an abrupt early ending to last season because of the covid19 threat, and it doesn't take too much extrapolating to perceive the a major threat to next season. I hope I'm wrong! It's gonna take some not too small miracles to settle everything down so that next season can happen...Stay Safe!

pathfinder

While it's impossible to predict conditions 6 months from now,  I think we should look at how the OHRV people are dealing with this. The clubs, hotels, motels, restaurants, and stores in the north country must be dealing with this right now. The OHRV clubs have to deal with trail maintenance crews and public meetings. Anybody have any information on how successful the OHRV groups and hospitality industry have been? From news stories I've seen there seems to be good crowds using the OHRV trails., so something must be going right.

Edited by jhwentworth

I moved the Association away from the NHSA model near its beginning, so it doesn't carry the overhead of a physical office or Executive Director and staff.

I also moved it away from a professional lobbyist, though I believe that the current officers have moved it back in that direction.

When you remove those carry costs, and focus on a smaller higher-use trail system... it lowers the overall cost of the system.

Campgrounds are also less overhead for the operators, especially in a Covid economy where indoor space costs a premium beyond the normal limited occupancy.

The adaptation for winter use will take time and money.

Thanks for the reply, John. Do you have any specifics on how the restaurants and hotels are dealing with the restrictions? I agree that campgrounds would provide a cost effective solution for lodging during the warmer months, but winter camping in Coos County doesn't have the same appeal. The traditional hotel/motel lodging in the north country survives the winters with large crowds over a few days per week. Can they cope with reduced customers during those few days per week? Without the food and lodging support the north country will have to get along with day-trippers and folks who own property up there. Add to this the increase in registration fees this year and it could be quieter in the north country this winter if this virus is with us this winter. A lot of the public support for motorized sports up there is driven by economic benefits to the economy; if the economic benefit drops off does the public support follow? 

I presume the same way that we are dealing with it in the Lakes Region. Take-out and outside dining, along with limited occupancy for buildings that have restricted capacity due to social distancing. Small groups in cabins or motel rooms accessing directly outside probably will do OK, enclosed hotels don't seem to be doing as well.

I think the public support dropping off would be about nuisance-to-benefit ratio, that has been the case for decades, so the economic benefit really just allows the community some slack for those riders that make themselves a nuisance.

Hopefully people take things seriously this summer, and keep infection rates low, which can result in fewer restrictions for out of state travelers. There is talk of a vaccine becoming available in the next six months. I think that until there is a vaccine that is widely available, we are going to struggle.