Sign in to follow this  
snorander

New antique registration rules?

Does anyone have the actual new antique registration laws and can you post it here please. Looking for the actual as written, not a summation or price breakdown. Thanks!

Edited by snorander

Looks like things change on 5/1/2020.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xviii/215-c/215-c-mrg.htm 

[Paragraph II effective until May 1, 2020; see also paragraph II set out below.]
NH RSA 215-C
215-C:1 Definitions
[Paragraph II effective until May 1, 2020; see also paragraph II set out below.]
II. "Antique snowmobile" means a snowmobile owned by a resident of this state which is any of the following:
(a) A snowmobile manufactured prior to the year 1969; or
(b) A snowmobile 25 or more years old; or
(c) An antique motor vehicle converted to travel over snow, manufactured prior to 1940.

[Paragraph II effective May 1, 2020; see also paragraph II set out above.]

II. "Antique snowmobile" means a snowmobile owned by a resident of this state which is any of the following:
(a) A snowmobile manufactured prior to the year 1995; or
(b) An antique motor vehicle converted to travel over snow, manufactured prior to 1940.

Section 215-C:36
VI. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph V, antique snowmobiles may be registered by a one-time purchase of a permanent plate to be affixed permanently to the snowmobile. This registration shall be available at the fish and game headquarters only.

Section 215-C:39

II. Resident antique snowmobile permanent registration-$46.50 for each registration upon presentation of a valid New Hampshire driver's license issued to a person 18 years of age or older. From each fee collected pursuant to this paragraph:
(a) The first $26.50 shall be appropriated to the department of natural and cultural resources for administration of the bureau's grant-in-aid program pursuant to paragraph VII.
(b) From the balance, $10 shall be appropriated to the department of natural and cultural resources for administration of the bureau for the purposes listed in paragraph VIII, and $10 shall be appropriated to the department of fish and game for the purposes listed in paragraph IX.
[Paragraph II effective May 1, 2020 until May 1, 2023; see also paragraph II set out above and below.]

II. Antique snowmobile permanent registration- $122 for each registration upon presentation of a valid driver's license issued to a person 18 years of age or older. From each fee collected pursuant to this paragraph:
(a) The first $82.30 shall be appropriated to the department of natural and cultural resources for administration of the bureau's grant-in-aid program pursuant to paragraph VII.
(b) From the balance, $21.70 shall be appropriated to the department of natural and cultural resources for administration of the bureau for the purposes listed in paragraph VIII, and $18 shall be appropriated to the department of fish and game for the purposes listed in paragraph IX.
(c) Individuals registering an antique snowmobile, regardless of residency, shall pay a one-time registration fee pursuant to this paragraph.
[Paragraph II effective May 1, 2023; see also paragraph II set out above.]

II. Antique snowmobile permanent registration-$143 for each registration upon presentation of a valid driver's license issued to a person 18 years of age or older. From each fee collected pursuant to this paragraph:
(a) The first $93 shall be appropriated to the department of natural and cultural resources for administration of the bureau's grant-in-aid program pursuant to paragraph VII.
(b) From the balance, $25 shall be appropriated to the department of natural and cultural resources for administration of the bureau for the purposes listed in paragraph VIII, and $25 shall be appropriated to the department of fish and game for the purposes listed in paragraph IX.
(c) Individuals registering an antique snowmobile, regardless of residency, shall pay a one-time registration fee pursuant to this paragraph.

(a) A snowmobile manufactured prior to the year 1995

Manufacture date not model year, The way this is worded, Looks like I am all set!! Sweet! that will be the last time I ever have to register my sleds....

Edited by snorander

Hmmm on second thought...does Prior to 1995 include sleds manufactured in 1995?

19 minutes ago, snorander said:

(a) A snowmobile manufactured prior to the year 1995

Manufacture date not model year, The way this is worded, Looks like I am all set!! Sweet! that will be the last time I ever have to register my sleds....

I'd check with F&G on that. With auto registration the towns charge tax based on the model year, even though the RSA specifies year of manufacture.

From the Nashua web site: New Registration  For a new registration, the model year determines which tax rate is used to compute the city permit fee. For example, a current model year is charged $18 per thousand; the prior model year is charged $15 per thousand, etc.

Title XXI Chapter 261:153

The mill rate to be charged on a vehicle originally offered for registration by a registrant shall be based on the year of manufacture of the said vehicle and shall continue for the next 12 months, including the month of registration.

We shall see I guess, but they why it is worded it clearly says year of manufacture not model year though. Now I just nee to find out of prior to 1995 includes 1995.

7 minutes ago, snorander said:

We shall see I guess, but they why it is worded it clearly says year of manufacture not model year though. Now I just nee to find out of prior to 1995 includes 1995.

This from the F&G site: The machine must be at least 25 years old.

The current model year for sleds is 2020, so the 25-year rule should mean a 1995 qualifies (1995 + 25= 2020)

Thank you, I emailed Fish and Game for clarification, so we'll see what they say. Manufacture date is the key as my sled is a 1996 Model year and registered ans a 1996 model, but it is stamped on the tunnel as manufactured in 1995.

Edited by snorander

Got my answer, looks like I'll be registering very early for next year....

"Because of the way the law is written, snowmobiles manufactured in 1995 can be registered as an antique until April 30th.  Effective May 1st, snowmobiles must be manufactured in 1994 or prior."

Edited by snorander

26 minutes ago, snorander said:

Got my answer, looks like I'll be registering very early for nest year....

"Because of the way the law is written, snowmobiles manufactured in 1995 can be registered as an antique until April 30th.  Effective May 1st, snowmobiles must be manufactured in 1994 or prior."

Note that under current law there are two ways to qualify for antique plates: model year before 1969 or 25 or more years old.

After 5/1/2020 there is only one way to qualify: model year before 1995. The twenty-five year old rule isn't there anymore. F&G still has the prior-to-May 1'st rules on their web site.I couldn't figure out how a 1995 qualified today but after 5/1/2020  it required a 1994 or earlier. 

Edited by jhwentworth

Just filled to the form, registering both of my 1996's as antiques asap so I don't miss out...check will be in the mail tomorrow. 

So much for the $50 plate on anything 25 years or older lasting forever!

pathfinder