pekabu

What's the story with these trees

I went up north last weekend and saw these trees and was wondering what's the story.  Anyone know?  I believe it's in Colebrook, or very close.  

image.thumb.png.63225f6d714a2f2388fcf657ac62fc4b.png

I have been wondering the same - we need someone like pathfinder who gets around to find us the answer!!!!!!!!!

I think they lie near that monastery

ive always found them interesting, otherwise I’ve been curious myself  

It is Colebrook. The next time you stay and ride from the Northern Comfort Motel ask them, they are across the street

Talked to several loggers over the years about that very stand of trees, and most of them tell me it is a "modified" strip cut.  Meaning, rather than do a total strip cut of an area, you cut a a geometric pattern an an attempt to allow the trees that are left to naturally re-sead the cuts between them. Most of us have noticed typical "strip cuts" that are visible from higher elevations.   Although these "V" shaped  stands of trees have not been allowed to re-sead the open areas between them, over time, most local people have noticed seedlings popping up in these areas and eventually mowed down. So it appears that originally a large stand of trees were harvested with the intent of having them re-sead the spaces between the holes, and somewhere along the line, that intent was abandoned.  Now we have a conversation piece to talk about, but this logic seems of the self planting maneuver seems pretty sound. don't know how long ago that stand was cut, but I started riding up here in '84 and it was that way then as far as I can remember.   Great topic! Hope this helps.

pathfinder

4 hours ago, ruff-rider said:

PATHFINDER - You are the king of tour guides and info on area - thanks for your input!!!!!

Thanks ruff rider.  I had the pleasure of spending a lot of breakfast time with a lot of very knowledgeable loggers, who use to fill me in with all kinds of trail info.

Not long ago I was out your way, showing someone Rousses Point, and went down to Plattsburg and and took the ferry to Grand Isle, which was a great fall ride.  Nice part of the country. Use to go to races in Malone. welcome aboard!!!

pathfinder

I asked the same question on the PRRSC Facebook page a couple years ago.  Donna Haley Jordan of the Colebrook Chronicle posted this reply:

Donna Haley Jordan Yes--I know. That property was part of the Northern Comfort Hotel lands, when the hotel was owned by the Brunault family. Mrs. Brunault lives in the white house near those trees and still owns the land. She sold the Northern Comfort (in the early '80s I think) to the Kenney family. Those trees were planted by Mrs. Brunaults husband waaaaaaay back in the 1970s.

• Donna Haley Jordan
    Donna Haley Jordan By the way, they looked REALLY cool when they were little and first planted.

• Donna Haley Jordan
    Donna Haley Jordan Jim and Lisa Kenney bought the motel from his parents, John and Alexandrae, around 1990; John and Alexandrae bought it from Isabelle Brunault in 1985. Isabelle's son, John Brunault, sold that piece of land with the funky trees to Jim and Lisa Kenney, who added it to the Northern Comfort parcel.
Edited by Old Thumper

Pathfinder - I'm not new to forum - just don't post much. I just like listening to knowledgable people like you and Old Thumper give up info on interesting area. I reached out to you about 10 years ago for some trail info and at that time you mentioned exploring the Plattsburgh and Malone area.  I recently bought camp in Errol where we spend the winter sledding and summer and fall on UTV or boat. The area is like the Adirondacks were 50 years ago when I was a kid. My wife would argue I am still a kid.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, ruff-rider said:

Pathfinder - I'm not new to forum - just don't post much. I just like listening to knowledgable people like you and Old Thumper give up info on interesting area. I reached out to you about 10 years ago for some trail info and at that time you mentioned exploring the Plattsburgh and Malone area.  I recently bought camp in Errol where we spend the winter sledding and summer and fall on UTV or boat. The area is like the Adirondacks were 50 years ago when I was a kid. My wife would argue I am still a kid.

Small world! I am forever bumping into people who I crossed paths with when I was touring. One of the best parts of running a touring business is your dealing with people that are all in a very positive state of mind, and so, tend to remember the good stuff you've shown them.

pathfinder

On 12/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, pathfinder said:

Small world! I am forever bumping into people who I crossed paths with when I was touring. One of the best parts of running a touring business is your dealing with people that are all in a very positive state of mind, and so, tend to remember the good stuff you've shown them.

pathfinder

It is a small world I'm from Willsboro which is 30 miles south of Plattsburg which is where we had to go is we wanted McDonalds