Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

Electric recreational vehicles

There are now battery-powered automobiles, chainsaws,  and lawnmowers, so why not battery-powered ATV's and snowmobiles?

Tesla recently showed off its new electric ATV, and Quebec company Taiga  is selling electric snowmobiles. The sleds are in the 500-600 pound range, and "Its electric motor is fed by a 15 kWh battery pack that’s good for 100 kilometres of range. It boasts 107 horsepower, 184 pound-foot torque and has a three-second 0-100 km/h acceleration sprint. "

I can see a future where these electric sleds will be mandated for Yellowstone and other environmentally/politically sensitive places. Electric sleds and ATV's will have the same issues as electric cars around charging stations, but that should be fixable for "destination" riders where riding is confined to a fixed geography. .

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-surprises-with-all-electric-atv-at-the-end-of-cybertruck-event/

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

https://mountainculturegroup.com/montreal-company-unveils-worlds-first-electric-snowmobile/

This technology has come a long way, especially batteries. They charge faster, pack more power, and are smaller. 

I could see this for short tours, places like ski areas, and that sort of thing. As range improves, who knows? I have read stories about people travelling cross country with electric cars. It takes a bit of patience because charging takes longer than filling a gas tank, but it can be done. Ten years ago it would not have been possible, so who is to say the could not get there?

Are we witnessing the evolution of the snowmobile as the pressure from environmental concerns becomes greater  by the minute? Only time will tell. But have you seen the level of performance of some of the Tesla cars. Unbelievable acceleration, but risky, as we see random pics on the news of the same vehicles spontaneously  bursting into flames, sometimes as they sit, parked with no one even in them. Tune in again tomorrow, for another episode of "As the Sport evolves"!

If you think about how short (relatively) the snowmobile has been around, it seems only logical that somewhere the sport is going to take a major turn. This could be it........

pathfinder

4 hours ago, PolarisCobra said:

This technology has come a long way, especially batteries. They charge faster, pack more power, and are smaller. 

I could see this for short tours, places like ski areas, and that sort of thing. As range improves, who knows? I have read stories about people travelling cross country with electric cars. It takes a bit of patience because charging takes longer than filling a gas tank, but it can be done. Ten years ago it would not have been possible, so who is to say the could not get there?

The Taiga Atlas crossover sled can be equipped with a 180 hp motor and a battery pack good for 88 miles and 0-62 mph in 2.9 seconds.

"Production is targeted to begin in summer 2020 for initial customer deliveries in time for the 2020-2021 Winter season. Pricing starts at $15,000 USD.. Reserved snowmobiles will be delivered through Taiga partnered dealerships. Once commercially available, select dealerships will carry Taiga snowmobiles, offer servicing and test rides. If you are interested in becoming a dealer, please fill out our dealer application form."

Oh yeah, Taiga also makes the Orca electric watercraft.

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/#1559274402704-d50e1098-807d

You can get tremendous performance from some of the electric cars. But, just like with a gas powered car, using that performance puts a real limit on driving range. some of them are advertising 300 mile plus ranges, but if you are pulling away from stop lights at 0-60 times under 4 seconds, you are not going to get 300 miles on a charge. 

My truck can squeeze 450 miles out of a tank of gas if I go easy. But I bet I can get that down to about 200 miles if I wear my lead shoes. 

I am sure the same will go for sleds. 88 miles is a decent range, but most of us will be too hard on the flipper to get that far. But, if they can sell some of these, and work to improve the technology, we could be at a real life 200 mile range in 10 years I bet. 

Yup, that's a problem, they will have to find a way to assure a good range, and we would need some infrastructure for charging. time will tell. 

Wonder what the range is when temps are -15 or -20?  I have had my battery freeze up one very cold winter and it would not start my sled.  Maybe when the next leap in battery technology happens it might work but cold weather is very hard on batteries.

58 minutes ago, rossi46 said:

Nothing is better than the smell of 2 stroke. Nothing. 

Especially if it's KLOTZ!

pathfinder

I guess, if you are using it just on a farm/ranch/something in that nature you would be fine.

17 hours ago, rossi46 said:

Nothing is better than the smell of 2 stroke. Nothing. 

Not interested in electric, don't see a big advantage. probably nothing in my sledding life time.

It's only inevitable that gas stations start installing charging stations to supplement the loss of gas volume in the next 10 years.  Once this starts in the north country I think it will be viable to run electric sleds.  Just think of the battery charging and capacity improvements in the next 10 years.  Today? No way... 10 years from now?  Maybe....