Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

Something different

You've ridden in New England and Canada, maybe gone to Yellowstone or Colorado, and you're looking for something different. Alaska is a possibility, but you want really different.

How about Svalbard? 

Svalvard is an island chain which is part of Norway and located well above the Arctic Circle, about the same latitude as northern Greenland and much further north than Alaska. 

https://en.visitsvalbard.com/things-to-do/activities/snowmobile

Note the firearms on the sleds. You're required to have scare devices to keep the polar bears away, and advised to have a firearm.

The good folks at NASA offer this advice on bear scare devices: "Noisemakers including air horns, pistol and pen launched bear bangers may scare a bear away. Pepper spray may work on polar bears, but has not been thoroughly tested."

Maybe you could conduct some research on pepper spray while you were there.

Oh yeah, NASA also says that "polar bears may appear slow and docile, but they are capable of moving swiftly and with purpose."

It will be up to you to determine the bear's purpose.

Remember the line in the Jurassic Park movie where a comparison between Jurassic Park and Disneyland is made, but the wise guy replies that at Disneyland if the ride breaks down the animals don't eat you. Yes, I think the polar bears would add a lot of excitement to a ride for even a seasoned rider. Just remember to bring spare gas.

Update: I don't think that Svalbard would be a good choice for trail-side cooking. Probably best to keep moving.

Edited by jhwentworth

Nice. Amazing scenery for sure. Brings a whole new meaning to 'off trail'. 

And - I have to agree that trail side cooking would not be a great idea. Good way to put yourself on the menu. 

Puts a new meaning to "off trail"