Sign in to follow this  
Freedom Rider

Fish and Game Executive Director being shown the door

I live in Mass, and have ridden in both NH and Maine. I'm OK with the speed limit (not that I have never gone faster for a bit). On most trails, 45 is plenty. Sure, a few could support faster speeds, but I fully understand (and respect) the issues with landowners, and think it would be a challenge for clubs to be putting up speed limit signs in selected areas above everything else the volunteers need to do. 

I prefer NH, for me. Mostly riding with family, nearly half of it 2-up, we look for 60 - 80- mile days, sometimes around 100 miles. Want to be able to ride from a hotel to some destination for lunch, then work our way back. I can save at least 50, often more than 100 miles each way in the truck getting to good riding in NH compared to Maine (for me). The cost of fuel and time is more than offset by a few extra dollars to register. 

I could see a number of people riding Maine for off trail (not much we can do about that, and I would rather they be in Maine, so as not to screw things up in NH), and some for the ability go go fast. Seems to me, if you really want to go that fast, do it there, I'm better off in NH. 

We are each entitled to ride the way we like, withing the regulations (to protect the trails for all), and if you feel you need to ride in Maine to accomplish that, then that's where you should ride. 

I think John M's point about the speed limits on roads not being much different is a good one, I had not really thought about it that way. 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:31 AM, WideOpenOrNothin said:

Do you guys remember last year when I gave my strong stance that NH has been killing it’s snowmobiling market compared to Maine’s increase?

Maine has almost twice as many sled registrations as NH. It's been like that for years. In 2013 Maine had 80,000 registrations, while NH had 42,000. In 2018 Maine had 80,500 (+ 0.6% increase over 2013) while NH had 43,000 registrations (+ 2.4% increase over 2013). Over the same period, Vermont lost 18.2% of registrations, from 25,238 to 20,648. like all year-to-year comparisons, you can cherry-pick the years to reflect the desired  result, but, at least right now, Maine and NH are still reflecting the traditional relationship between the two states' registration totals. Two or three years from now we'll know how price sensitive the non-resident sled riders are to registration fees.   

The Portland Press Herald ran a story (I used outline.com to access the story) back in December 2017 about the growth of northern Maine's snowmobile business. The story reported that "Registrants from Massachusetts accounted for 43 percent of the out-of-staters last winter, followed by New Hampshire (18 percent) and Connecticut (11 percent)."

That would be 14,000+ NH sleds registered in Maine, and I'd guess that most of them were also registered in NH.

How did you get the 14,000? The article lays out that roughly 23,000 non-resident registrations were sold in Maine. If 18% of them were NH sleds registered in Maine... shouldn't that be about 4,140... we could round to 4,200. 

3 hours ago, John Mercier said:

How did you get the 14,000? The article lays out that roughly 23,000 non-resident registrations were sold in Maine. If 18% of them were NH sleds registered in Maine... shouldn't that be about 4,140... we could round to 4,200. 

You are totally correct.