Sign in to follow this  
pathfinder

Craziest thing you've ever done for a snowmobile?

Last Wednesday I hit the road around 5 am heading into Montreal, Ottawa, all the way to Soo St Marie into Michigan. A mere 785 miles arriving at around 8:30, checked into a Super 8, got a little sleep. On the road again next morning around 7 heading for Hiawatha Township to pick up a 73 Rupp Nitro that was kind of special, in that it had been stretched from a 116 inch track to receive a 91 Polaris RXL SKS 136 inch track and rear skid. This conversion was done by a friend of mine whose name is Joe Francis, a restoration guru that had built this sled about ten years ago along with another similar sled for himself and his wife Glenda. At the time of the build I was aware of it through another site called " The Rupp Message Board " which showed the build and I immediately wanted to build one. Time came and went, never did the build, but heard one of these came on the market for lack of use. Made a phone call, made a deal, picked it up, and for some strange reason decided to come home through the US heading south in MI in order to cut across lower Ontario heading for Niagra Falls, Buffalo, and drove the entire length of the New York throughway in the middle of the night, cutting up through Vermont and getting home Friday morning around 10:30, 2200miles, 53 hours, no sleep, and a minor case of post traumatic stress syndrome, with a new new baby that will be my vintage rider. Worth it? Hell yeah!

path:blink:finder

DSCN1690 (Small).JPG

DSCN1691 (Small).JPG

DSCN1692 (Small).JPG

DSCN1693 (Small).JPG

DSCN1694 (Small).JPG

Cool, although I can't do those kamakasi runs like that. I would fall asleep for sure. 

So - that's two new red sled on the same day, in May no less. 

May is kind of a problem month for acquiring sleds, five so far. Maybe another today being my birthday.

Wouldn't do the MI run again anytime soon, went the last 4-500 miles on auto pilot, but saw some great country. Upper Michigan is very scenic and the major roads have 75 MPH speed limits.

pathB)finder