Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

Off Topic

I'm calling this off topic, but there is some connection between sleds and trucks and trailers, so maybe it's not too far off base.

Back in 2017 a guy wanted to buy a 2013 F-150 Ford pickup in a private sale from a woman in Laconia. He got permission to test drive the truck and as part of the test towed his boat/trailer to Paugus Bay and attempted a launch. The launch didn't go well when he exited the truck with the transmission in reverse while launching, and boat, trailer, and the Ford ended up in Lake Winnpesaukee. The owner filed a claim with her insurance company and it was settled for $30,691.49 to cover damages.

In March of this year the insurance company sued the guy who sank the Ford to recover the money they paid the truck owner.

I'm sure there are lessons to be learned here.

1. Have a very good insurance company and agent.

2. Letting an unattended prospective buyer in a private sale test drive a vehicle is a bit risky.

3. Letting a prospective buyer use your vehicle to transport and launch a boat is riskier.

4. See #1

I guess you could substitute snowmobile for boat. I'd also guess that any long term insurance agent could tell a similar story.

Full story.

I wonder if the woman still has the same insurance company?

Edited by jhwentworth

I wonder if a 'Test drive' was a semi-annual event for this guy, so he didn't have to buy a truck of his own? Towing a boat is not something I would let someone do on a test drive, I bet she did not know that is what he intended. 

The owner of the truck got her money from the insurance company, so I guess she comes out OK. 

It will be interesting to see what the court finds. If this were a more typical accident (If he crashed into her truck with his), her insurance would have paid her the money, but would they then go after the guy to  get it back? If he had insurance, his company may pay hers, but if he doesn't it is really unclear to me. 

Things vary from state to state, here in Mass, I have Uninsured motorist coverage, that may come into play here if he had no coverage.

13 minutes ago, PolarisCobra said:

I wonder if a 'Test drive' was a semi-annual event for this guy, so he didn't have to buy a truck of his own? Towing a boat is not something I would let someone do on a test drive, I bet she did not know that is what he intended. 

The owner of the truck got her money from the insurance company, so I guess she comes out OK. 

It will be interesting to see what the court finds. If this were a more typical accident (If he crashed into her truck with his), her insurance would have paid her the money, but would they then go after the guy to  get it back? If he had insurance, his company may pay hers, but if he doesn't it is really unclear to me. 

Things vary from state to state, here in Mass, I have Uninsured motorist coverage, that may come into play here if he had no coverage.

The insurance company is claiming the guy drove the vehicle in an unsafe and negligent manner and wants the money they gave the owner back from the guy.

In New Hampshire, the uninsured motorist portion covers only medical expenses. The driver was from Mass, so I'd assume he had insurance, but does that cover a borrowed car? In most cases the insurance follows the car not the driver, although most auto insurance will cover a rental car. 

For the guys sake I hope he has personal liability insurance in his homeowner's policy along with an umbrella policy.

Like I said about #1......

I'll bet she got a lot more money from the insurance company than she would have got selling the truck.  Win for her....