jhwentworth

Freedom to Evens Notch

Trailered to Freedom and headed to Evens Notch. Round trip about 125 miles. Mostly used C-19. Trails in good shape for the morning run up, but showing some wear for the return as would be expected. There were a lot of sleds out there today. Evens Notch is worth seeing.

Bottom line is that it's worth a trip to Freedom, the SOS club is doing a good job. As a bonus, take the alternate route across Silver Lake to satisfy that inner lake racer.

That is an extremely rewarding ride with majestic views at the top. Been a couple of years for me but would take 19 north from West Ossipee from either my camp or the Canoe King lot. Now that I’m back up here winter camping again, pretty sure I’ll pick up a sled in the off season and be making that run again next season!

We found C19 to be in very good condition, including the rail bed portion. On our return we passed a Maine Warden who was checking registrations as we passed. While we were parked at the overlook a group of people came up to us and asked where they were. They had rented sleds in Gorham (Northeast?) When I told them they were in the Maine section of the White Mountain National Forest they wondered if that was a problem. They had a paper map from the rental group that didn't show trails south and east of Gorham. Told them to just follow the C-19N signs back towards Gorham.

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

Where did you park the trailer in Freedom?  Looks like a great ride. About how far would that ride be from the  Corridor 19 & Primary 200 (Polly's Crossing) intersection?

1 hour ago, ultrarider said:

Where did you park the trailer in Freedom?  Looks like a great ride. About how far would that ride be from the  Corridor 19 & Primary 200 (Polly's Crossing) intersection?

I don't know. From Freedom we traveled north and west to reach C-19 on SOS trails. We parked at a marina in Freedom.

I had to be shown where to park, and from looking at a map I'd guess that the distance from Polly's Crossing might be further than we rode.

Edited by jhwentworth

Polly’s Crossing would add about 20+ miles each way from the route you took.....I believe you must have parked down at Ossipee Lake Marina from your description

11 minutes ago, Skip said:

Polly’s Crossing would add about 20+ miles each way from the route you took.....I believe you must have parked down at Ossipee Lake Marina from your description

I think you're right. From that marina there are several local SOS trails to reach C-19.

We did a big loop from moultonborough New Hampshire to Ossipee to Conway through Evans notch to Gorham a crossover to Twin Mountain 2 Lincoln railroad back all the way back to Winnipesaukee tomorrow 218 MI on Friday

We also saw Sasquatch Saturday

20190301_104843.jpg

20190301_104829.jpg

20190301_135337.jpg

20190302_103245.jpg

42 minutes ago, doodave said:

We also saw Sasquatch Saturday

Yeah, but did you see his tepee? 

Is there a need to get a Maine registration for the part of the trail 19 which passes over into Maine? 

3 hours ago, ossipeelake said:

Is there a need to get a Maine registration for the part of the trail 19 which passes over into Maine? 

No. Just make sure to stay on C19. You'll also see signs for ITS81 (Maine), but as long as there are C19 signs you're OK.