stinx

Off Trail Idiots get another trail closed

Maybe time in NH for a new sign,,,,,,,,,,,,, "OFF TRAIL IS AGAINST THE LAW"

ID suggest the Moultonboro announce a go fund me and try to work with the landowner ,,, when enough is raised to put enough game cameras out, the trails could open with recording,,  its WAY BEYOND discouraging for many of us

Well, you know this is our fault for demonizing them and not doing enough to get places for them to ride <_<

7 hours ago, rivercat said:

Maybe time in NH for a new sign,,,,,,,,,,,,, "OFF TRAIL IS AGAINST THE LAW"

ID suggest the Moultonboro announce a go fund me and try to work with the landowner ,,, when enough is raised to put enough game cameras out, the trails could open with recording,,  its WAY BEYOND discouraging for many of us

NH needs to significantly increase the fine for off trail riding. I believe the fine currently is $75  The fine should be $500 for first offense, $1000 for subsequent and upon conviction the sled etc should be confiscated by fish and game. Committing certain hunting violations allows Fish and Game to confiscate all related equipment. why not off trail riding?

10 hours ago, snorander said:

Well, you know this is our fault for demonizing them and not doing enough to get places for them to ride <_<

Why should law followers and club volunteers have to find them places to ride? I know in the 70s the club's had to find it on there own. I spent a lot of my teenage years going out with club elders doing exactly that.

I've wondered about this myself, and the SxS craze.  There is barely any trails in Southern NH,  Almost nothing south of the Notches, but they are everywhere.  I know some are getting Spec Comm plates,  but that's not the intended use and they are getting pulled.   Are these facts disclosed?  I guess it would only be for newbies.

2 hours ago, stinx said:

NH needs to significantly increase the fine for off trail riding. I believe the fine currently is $75  The fine should be $500 for first offense, $1000 for subsequent and upon conviction the sled etc should be confiscated by fish and game. Committing certain hunting violations allows Fish and Game to confiscate all related equipment. why not off trail riding?

It is not a simple nor fast process. 

I hear the manufactures and NH Auto Dealers have lobbyist currently trying to stop registration increase. Do you think they will support stopping the use and sales of their mountain sleds?

11 hours ago, snorander said:

Im horribly sorry Steve but I have to disagree with your post.  IT in NO WAY is the volunteers "job" that just finished a 7000 mile infrastructure of trails and bridges and developing landowner relationships responsibility to NOW GO AND find the "off trail riders" a place to ride..  off trail riding breeds a mindset that when they want to zip up a embankment, ride all over gravel pits  and across ANY field they want they just see it as their "god given right"

We just lost a section of primary 335 in Boscawen, We have another section in Jeopardy, as well as 2,5 miles of corridor #11 ,,, we have even had riders cut thru the  STATE OF NH VETERANS CEMETERY!! They have also  ridden all around the Merrimack County Nursing Home with their lights flickering into the rooms of the elderly as well as alzimers residents! We are on the ENDANGERED LIST WITH THE COUNTY, STATE, a major Gravel Company, and a landowner that has over 2000 acres ALL IN BOSCAWEN    "Im my view off trail is not a sport its an "attitude"  and its a shitty attitude at that! OH ,,,, I forgot one,,,, the CITY OF CONCORD gave us passage in limited sections of the City Parks,,, we are on "probation" with them also!.  

I have about $25,000 of irrigation laying on top of the ground under 6" of snow (in Concord)  there have been ZERO PROBLEMS for the las 20 years with riders staying OFF my irrigation I provide MANY acres for passage thru my property as does my family  As soon as any of my Irrigation is damaged Im closing off my land,,  and NO it can't be "picked up in the fall!  

I want to be clear there are TWO types of off trail riders in NH ,,,,,,,, However BOTH are breaking the LAW!

Edited by rivercat

In my travels this winter I’ve seen a lot more mountain type sleds, as well as what seems to me to be an equal amount of tracks off trail

14 hours ago, snorander said:

You do know that there are folks on here that aren't going to realize you are being sarcastic.

Oops....guess I was tool late! :)

4 hours ago, Freedom Rider said:

Why should law followers and club volunteers have to find them places to ride? I know in the 70s the club's had to find it on there own. I spent a lot of my teenage years going out with club elders doing exactly that.

Obviously you missed the sarcasm in my post and haven't read the 5 page post on How to keep snowmobiling alive in NH

19 hours ago, snorander said:

Dammit Steve,don't you know us old guys are not the future of snowmobiling?

Just read some of the comments on that FB post,snowmobiling is  doomed with the attitude on display there .

FWIW I sold my sleds 3 weeks ago and don't plan on buying anymore,40 years was enough I guess.

Edited by nhgator
stupud

21 hours ago, snorander said:

I don't post much on this site but I'm going to chime in. There is a place for them to ride, Montana. Don't screw it up for the people that follow the rules and respect landowners.

14 hours ago, Freedom Rider said:

It is not a simple nor fast process. 

I hear the manufactures and NH Auto Dealers have lobbyist currently trying to stop registration increase. Do you think they will support stopping the use and sales of their mountain sleds?

There is already a bill in the Legislature that it could be amended to. The bill is to increase fines for violations. 

The NH Auto Dealers would be involved with snowmobile registrations how? As for the manufacturers... they supply the grants that support the lobbying efforts of the Associations. 

21 hours ago, John Mercier said:

The NH Auto Dealers would be involved with snowmobile registrations how?

30+ power sports dealers in nhada. 

They would have liked a seat at the committee's table. 

22 hours ago, rossi46 said:

30+ power sports dealers in nhada. 

They would have liked a seat at the committee's table. 

You mean the NHSA committee?

Check out this scuttlebut from the mid west about off trail riding in their area. These guys are really upset and have vivid descriptions of the culprits.

https://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php/topic,350611.0.html

pathfinder

It is a problem because landowners that have not granted permission either written to an individual, or verbal to a club trail administrator or the BoT, isn't going to waste a lot of breath complaining on a repeated basis. Many times before they complain the first time, it is because the off-trail has happened repeatedly. They may never even bother to contact the club, the local PD will point them to F&G, and F&G always has the excuse that they don't have enough resources. The landowner gets frustrated and simply closes the property. 

You should always respect trail access. 

Has the investigation proven that this was a mountain sled 155” 3.25” paddles, turbo boondocking  kit, loud can, and the mini dog heater under the hood?

What do we have for facts?

2 hours ago, WideOpenOrNothin said:

You should always respect trail access. 

Has the investigation proven that this was a mountain sled 155” 3.25” paddles, turbo boondocking  kit, loud can, and the mini dog heater under the hood?

What do we have for facts?

The only fact they have, to my knowledge, is someone rode off trail. The landowner didn't like it... so we can presume that the rider did not have written permission from the landowner.  

So,in the future, next year, when you register your sled, signing it acknowledges you know off trail is illegal. It also states, if caught your registration is pulled for the year, sled impounded, and there is a fine also. This is my thought. Sure you are going to lose sleds to Maine, but you are keeping trails open. JMO

19 hours ago, John Mercier said:

The only fact they have, to my knowledge, is someone rode off trail. The landowner didn't like it... so we can presume that the rider did not have written permission from the landowner.  

There used to be a time when the complaints were about the young punks ruining the trails for going too fast and not paying attention. Now every track the goes off trail it has to be asserted that it was a damn mountain sled. Couldn’t have just been some going punk with lack of respect instilled in him/her? That would most likely be closer to the truth. 

My 146” stays where it’s authorized to go. My wife and I happened to pull some young dude riding around a, 92 jag, off a rock wall he attempted to climb. About as short of a sled as you can get right there.

17 hours ago, gunmaker said:

So,in the future, next year, when you register your sled, signing it acknowledges you know off trail is illegal. It also states, if caught your registration is pulled for the year, sled impounded, and there is a fine also. This is my thought. Sure you are going to lose sleds to Maine, but you are keeping trails open. JMO

Mandatory ohrv safety course to register or operate an ohrv. 

This acknowledges you’re aware of all state laws, your been educated on the importance of them. 

If you commit an infraction you could lose privileges like hunting. 

In theory it seems like a no brainer,( in theory-for all you more educated members).

14 hours ago, WideOpenOrNothin said:

There used to be a time when the complaints were about the young punks ruining the trails for going too fast and not paying attention. Now every track the goes off trail it has to be asserted that it was a damn mountain sled. Couldn’t have just been some going punk with lack of respect instilled in him/her? That would most likely be closer to the truth. 

My 146” stays where it’s authorized to go. My wife and I happened to pull some young dude riding around a, 92 jag, off a rock wall he attempted to climb. About as short of a sled as you can get right there.

That is probably the off road community. For years, whenever something has happened negatively on a trail system... it has always been vocalized to be the younger set, non-local riders, etc. I generally find that they are middle aged, live nearby, and just not thinking they will get caught.