Sign in to follow this  
jhwentworth

F&G CO's help stuck snowmobilers in Colebrook

Yesterday a couple riders wandered off on an ungroomed trail in Colebrook and got stuck. They called 911 and F&G responded.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/environment/conservation-officers-help-two-stuck-snowmobilers-in-colebrook/article_80ca8b69-6aa5-5873-9f11-8b324f292207.html

The boys in Green....the AAA of the backwoods!

32 minutes ago, Skip said:

The boys in Green....the AAA of the backwoods!

Yes, they do multitasking. I'm surprised they aren't required to haul a hot dog cart on skis behind their sleds to generate some revenue. If they did, Catreserve would probably apply for the job. He has some experience with SpiderDogs.

9 hours ago, John Mercier said:

According to the article... they were on a trail. Legal trails are not required to be groomed, and this one was not.

Actually they were on an unplowed road a 1/2 mile from the authorized corridor trail system. The conservation officer speculated that the road may have been a groomed trail in the past. According to the article it is believed they erroneously followed their GPS to get where they shouldn't have been.

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Actually they were on an unplowed road a 1/2 mile from the authorized corridor trail system. The conservation officer speculated that the road may have been a groomed trail in the past. According to the article it is believed they erroneously followed their GPS to get where they shouldn't have been.

Like I was saying about those GPS things.......

People put way too much faith in them.

You do need to use some judgement with a GPS, But - They also could have had a map from a past season, and followed that into the same situation. Sounds like an unfortunate mistake, that had a good ending. 

ICG    3

Their now worst  that the  woman  who drove down SDR's  trail  thinking it was the road  to Sportsman's Lodge back in the day....  took the groomer some time to pull   that Volvo  out  to the road again...

From riding the area they are talking about, if the wind had blown and the trail was gone, it is VERY hard out there to find your way. There is little to no "diamonds" on the fields. 

9 hours ago, John Mercier said:

But then everyone could use the excuse that they simply lost their way... 

They can. But it doesn’t matter as responding officers evaluate each response on an individual basis and use their discretion to level punishment, if any at all. 

10 hours ago, John Mercier said:

But then everyone could use the excuse that they simply lost their way... 

So then everyone is a liar? Like i said, fields,wind blown,not groomed and no diamonds makes it very hard to see where the trail has been. In fact, over on 7E you come to a junction where there are no signs at all. Now you look straight and it goes up into a tree farm,which we all know, is not where you want to go. To the right is another tree farm, but, by the fresh tracks, that seems to be the way. Rode that way and it dead end into a house. NO SIGNAGE. So, don't say," follow diamonds".

The reactions to this story are interesting in that it seems accepted that F&G has the responsibility to "rescue" riders who have gotten stuck. Skip joked about F&G being the AAA of the woods, but there was a bit of truth there it seems.

I think there are about 33 CO's out in the six districts, not a lot of people to handle multiple jobs 24X7. We all should know our limitations, and the limitations of our equipment. Many times I've read the negative comments about a hiker who attempts to climb a mountain in winter without the proper equipment and clothing and expects a prompt rescue. Maybe these two riders should have considered their limitations prior to leaving a groomed trail.

True, But at least a registered snowmobiler contributes to the search and rescue fund.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:46 PM, jhwentworth said:

Yes, they do multitasking. I'm surprised they aren't required to haul a hot dog cart on skis behind their sleds to generate some revenue. If they did, Catreserve would probably apply for the job. He has some experience with SpiderDogs.

I would be all over it!

They should add some extra dollars on the registration increase for my salary and expenses...I will make the state money just like a FINE!  That would be FINE for me!

Edited by CATRESERVE

2 hours ago, snorander said:

True, But at least a registered snowmobiler contributes to the search and rescue fund.

Is a guy getting stuck in a snowbank a search and rescue? 

16 hours ago, gunmaker said:

So then everyone is a liar? Like i said, fields,wind blown,not groomed and no diamonds makes it very hard to see where the trail has been. In fact, over on 7E you come to a junction where there are no signs at all. Now you look straight and it goes up into a tree farm,which we all know, is not where you want to go. To the right is another tree farm, but, by the fresh tracks, that seems to be the way. Rode that way and it dead end into a house. NO SIGNAGE. So, don't say," follow diamonds".

How would you tell the liars from the non-liars? 

7 hours ago, John Mercier said:

How would you tell the liars from the non-liars? 

Again, that's for the investigating officers to deduce and the court system to decide, if so challenged. 

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Again, that's for the investigating officers to deduce and the court system to decide, if so challenged. 

EXACTLY. Poor signage is a great example, or you just show them what the GPS is showing you while standing there. Maybe the F&G could not see and signage either, no diamonds.

12 hours ago, Skip said:
10 hours ago, gunmaker said:

EXACTLY. Poor signage is a great example, or you just show them what the GPS is showing you while standing there. Maybe the F&G could not see and signage either, no diamonds.

We aren't suppose to use a GPS for guidance... and we would not see any signage if we were off-trail. I am sure that I can find a GPS of some back country route that was an old trail... and even one that was never a trail. And landowners were supposedly free from having to sign against motorized access. The reason F&G chose to focus on off-trail this year, even though the law has been active for about fifteen years, is that the landowners prioritized this behavior as being problematic. 

No one is perfect and a honest mistake is, a honest mistake. Guess some people don't make mistakes though. Guess F&G thought they did. Also, Polaris on their SXS ,DO use GPS for rental companies to guide people around. So yes you do use it for guidance.

Edited by gunmaker

Polaris may put a GPS on their machines... but the trail route embedded in the GPS may be inaccurate... and would not be a good excuse in a court of law.

I am sure that a backwoods rider can find GPS routes for NH on some website and download them. But that would not make the routes legal. Even last year's trail routes taken directly from a club are not guaranteed to be accurate for this year.

F&G didn't pull ''off-trail riding'' out of a hat... it is now one of the biggest landowner issues. Other than safety, landowner issue for any recreational aspect overseen by F&G quickly rises to the top... they know that the loss of access is tangible.