jhwentworth

How to keep snowmobiling alive in NH

@Skip- LOL!!!

And good point @CATRESERVE...  OFF TRAIL is not "legal" in Maine.  It's more accessible b/c of the vastly larger amount of uninhabited land...

Read "Where you can ride" at http://www.mesnow.com/SnowmobileLaws.html   "..Never ride on any property, unless you are on a signed snowmobile trail, without the landowner's permission..."

We meet enough idiots on the trails with the limit at 45. Raise it (depending on how much and where) and the wife and I are out of sledding.

So here is a thought on off trail riding, and only a thought. When you register your sled, it states on the reg that you acknowledge that it is illegal and you know you will lose your snowmobiling rights in the state of NH for the year. Your reg sticker is taken and it goes on your drivers license also, plus a fine. As for speeding, well you are not going to stop that unless you treat it as a automobile speeding ticket.

27 minutes ago, Renegade08 said:

@Skip- LOL!!!

And good point @CATRESERVE...  OFF TRAIL is not "legal" in Maine.  It's more accessible b/c of the vastly larger amount of uninhabited land...

Read "Where you can ride" at http://www.mesnow.com/SnowmobileLaws.html   "..Never ride on any property, unless you are on a signed snowmobile trail, without the landowner's permission..."

But is it illegal? Looking at the Maine laws it seems that posting land is the only way to prohibit snowmobile riding, much like hikers crossing private property.

From the Bangor Daily News: Even with 14,500 miles of trails, Maine is seeing a sharp increase in off-trail riding in many areas of the state. While this activity is allowed unless it is prohibited by landowner policy, it is important to remember that being guests on someone’s property requires courtesy and common sense.

Edited by jhwentworth

I guess another question i have is this, is off trail riding any different than hunting or trespassing on private land? I'm sure if you were hunting on private/posted land you would be fined, lose your license and maybe firearm. I don't hunt so don't know the law

1 minute ago, gunmaker said:

I guess another question i have is this, is off trail riding any different than hunting or trespassing on private land? I'm sure if you were hunting on private/posted land you would be fined, lose your license and maybe firearm. I don't hunt so don't know the law

In New Hampshire, hiking, fishing, bicycling ,& hunting on private property are presumed to be okay unless the land is posted. Operating motorized equipment on private property, other than your own, requires written permission unless you're on a legal trail. 

It seems that Maine law is different.

How to keep snowmobiling alive in NH....

Step 1: Stop bitching about it on the internet.

Step 2: Go out and ride

:lol::lol:

1 minute ago, snorander said:

On Step 1: Probably any praise or complaints on this site will have little impact on the outcome. Sort of like pi**ing your pants while wearing a dark suit; it gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices.

On Step 2: Do you mean a jet ski or an ice boat?

I’ll sit here and wait for another slednh member in his/her 30’s to give an opinion.....

oh wait, I’m just about, if not the only damn one. 

That’s because all you Old Fart RINO’s complete disregarding the evolution of sledding. Forget adapting, here it is- Maine is sweeping up NH and MA registrations and NH continues with the saaame old bullshit.

For those of you who don’t know me

since 2012 I’ve been the only consistent younger voice on this site. I’ve stayed on because I know a number of older prominent names in NH snowmobiling. I’m also friends with a number of slednh members. All over 55 years old. 

I’m 35, been snowmobiling my whole life

ive lived a very experienced 35 years, I am a well rounded man who knows what he’s speaking on 

my wife is my best friend and my time is spent with my children

i am active in my community,  I coach multiple sports for my son. 

I teach my kids hard work, discipline, and respect. 

I am a staff sergeant in the US Army and OIR Veteran.

I am everything this country stands for, not just some asshole running his mouth. so if you listen to me when I talk you might learn something 

While most of you stick to slednh you are missing the growth of the generation that will carry snowmobiling after you are gone. It’s out on Social media platforms, the people have spoken(loudly) on NH and it’s a losing product compared to ME. 

Ive has a mountain sled since 2014, my wife has a 144” assault. We ride trails in NH, we don’t go ripping property apart trying to by rock stars.

we want to back country learn back country riding but we haven’t made the commitment to switch to Maine yet.

EVERY OTHER PERSON IN MY FAMILY AND RIDING FRIENDS HAVE ALL GONE TO MAINE RIDING. NO LONGER REGISTERING IN  NH. PERIOD!

it won’t be long before Maine is opening up back country riding schools and then I mean FORGET NH if it’s still “anti-back country”

you will never see it recover even if NH does become friendly to it- post these schools opening!  

Maines back country community has VERY STRONG TIES to Canadian back country community. As well as north western USA .

NH just doesn’t get it. I’m amazed I even got a couple comments that agreed with mine. Otherwise it’s just business as usual for the RINO’s- if it’s not how you done it since 1980 than it’s BAD and we must listen to the people who say, “ just make them pay more.”

I agree that average speeds are faster in Maine. I have ridden in parts of the state, many of the trails are wider and straighter, for much longer distances, more like highways than state two lane roads. Distances between towns tend to be longer, riding faster is easier. There are trails in NH where you have plenty of room, and good sight-lines, but not near as many as in Maine. 

As for off trail, I would agree that opening up some defined areas where it's acceptable makes sense. It even makes sense for the NHSA to help with the process. But it also seems to me that the responsibility should be on the people who want to ride off trail to take the first step, start to work with landowners, then with the organization. 

I sometimes see posts on other sites where new off trail riders ask where they can ride. They typically get no answer, or someone is up front and tells them that no one is going to give up their secret spot. I would have to think that a big part of the reason they want to keep the secret is that they know they aren't supposed to be there. 

In the end, we have to understand that the landowners are in charge, and work with them, so we don't wind up with no place to ride. 

24 minutes ago, snorander said:

And point made! Thanks Snorander! Is this a form where you discuss issues and ideas or is it where I just put my pictures up. 

Multiple people have given given healthy criticism, opinions, constructive ideas, and you call it bitching. 

So if you want to sweep it under the rug than go ahead. I’m hoping that someone from NHSA or someone of legislative importance is taking note of this conversation. Not calling it bitching 

1 hour ago, jhwentworth said:

Do you think that NH is different than the national average of 80%-90% of riding being done on trails? How many NH riders do you think want to ride off-trail?

I don't see any way that NH can compete with the large amount of uninhabited land  in northern Maine for off-trail riders.

From a purely observational/ not statistical data, I don’t think it’s different from other states. I think that is 100% based on NH anti off trial attitude though. 

Off trail riding is growing at amazing rates. I bet if you got numbers on sled track sizes sold around here it’s show that picture too, especially used long track sales-what a market that is.

NH can’t compete with Maine’s land. 

BUT

it’s tax free and that is still a huge selling point. 

Its NH, people love NH. We are doing this to ourselves 

Edited by WideOpenOrNothin

30 minutes ago, WideOpenOrNothin said:

And point made! Thanks Snorander! Is this a form where you discuss issues and ideas or is it where I just put my pictures up. 

Multiple people have given given healthy criticism, opinions, constructive ideas, and you call it bitching. 

So if you want to sweep it under the rug than go ahead. I’m hoping that someone from NHSA or someone of legislative importance is taking note of this conversation. Not calling it bitching 

It's called a joke, lighten up Francis.

34 minutes ago, PolarisCobra said:

As for off trail, I would agree that opening up some defined areas where it's acceptable makes sense. It even makes sense for the NHSA to help with the process. But it also seems to me that the responsibility should be on the people who want to ride off trail to take the first step, start to work with landowners, then with the organization. 

I sometimes see posts on other sites where new off trail riders ask where they can ride. They typically get no answer, or someone is up front and tells them that no one is going to give up their secret spot. I would have to think that a big part of the reason they want to keep the secret is that they know they aren't supposed to be there. 

In the end, we have to understand that the landowners are in charge, and work with them, so we don't wind up with no place to ride. 

Yes, and yes! 

1 minute ago, snorander said:

Yes, and yes! 

HERE’S THE OFF TRAIL RIDER TAKING THE FIRST STEP:

NHSA will you please help NH off trail riders connect with large land owners to help promote off trail riding. 

There it is!  NHSA and law makers should be on slednh, maybe even in this thread. the voice of their community is here. 

I’m asking now... for a friend

7 minutes ago, snorander said:

It's called a joke, lighten up Francis.

Forgive me,

I thought a joke is typically cleaver and funny. 

Not recycled, the opposite of funny.

now that’s a joke

25 minutes ago, WideOpenOrNothin said:

That’s because all you Old Fart RINO’s complete disregarding the evolution of sledding. Forget adapting, here it is- Maine is sweeping up NH and MA registrations and NH continues with the saaame old bullshit.

Do you mean Republican In Name Only? Are you saying that this site is infested with old Democrats flying under a false flag?

As far as being "tax-free" in NH, well, not exactly. The current rooms & meals tax is 9%, and also covers rental cars. NH is also well known for high property taxes and the towns do love vacation homes.

As far as the evolution of sledding in NH, the sport started out with minimal trails and lots of off-trail riding. Due to a negative public reaction,  eventually changes were made to expand the trail system and keep people on the trails. Off-trail riding without written permission was tolerated in the far north for many years in some locations.

Why ask here?  You should be posting it on the NHSA's webstie or Facebook page or calling the office in Tilton and actually talking to and  asking someone over there, not a bunch of old fart RINO's on here.

If it is what you truly want, Organize, Create Off trail snowmobile clubs,  talk with land owners to get them to open their land to off trail use, raise money and purchase land in areas to ride in. 

Edited by snorander

There is a very good write up in the Snow-Traveler magazine this time on page 25. There are talks going on, please read it everyone, if you want to.

10 minutes ago, jhwentworth said:

Do you mean Republican In Name Only? Are you saying that this site is infested with old Democrats flying under a false flag?

As far as being "tax-free" in NH, well, not exactly. The current rooms & meals tax is 9%, and also covers rental cars. NH is also well known for high property taxes and the towns do love vacation homes.

As far as the evolution of sledding in NH, the sport started out with minimal trails and lots of off-trail riding. Due to a negative public reaction,  eventually changes were made to expand the trail system and keep people on the trails. Off-trail riding without written permission was tolerated in the far north for many years in some locations.

I use it to reference the blatant lack of adaption to your cause. Instead of learning about it, understanding it, promoting it because it’s whats good for YOUR cause. NH does everything to OUTLAW, SHUN, AND FINE. 

THEN, younger trail riders want to go fast. Our sleds are safe and capable. But you wonder why young riders are leaving. Registrations are down so Nh proposes another tax hike on riders.  

It is FACT that off trail is official part of snowmobiling. And it’s trying to be top dog

it never will be though because people love trails. If promoted- many will try off trail and learn it’s not for them. Many will love it, new people will try it. Many will like it- many won’t but maybe those new people like trail riding

22 minutes ago, snorander said:

Why ask here? You should be posting it on the NHSA's page or calling the office in Tilton and actually asking someone over there, not a bunch of old fart RINO's on here.

If it is what you truly want, Organize, Create Off trail snowmobile clubs,  talk with land owners to get them to open their land to off trail use, raise money and purchase land in areas to ride in. 

The time I have allotted for community is dedicated towards my children’s lives and military. I do my part by promoting sledding through my family and friends

plus is literally said I ride trails with my wife and son. I see the issues SnoRander

So when you say stop bitching and go ride, what are you doing, go volunteer and any typical BS line. 

You are one of NH’s snowmobiling problems. I don’t Care  what you’ve done before. 

5 minutes ago, WideOpenOrNothin said:

The time I have allotted for community is dedicated towards my children’s lives and military. I do my part by promoting sledding through my family and friends

plus is literally said I ride trails with my wife and son. I see the issues SnoRander

So when you say stop bitching and go ride, what are you doing, go volunteer and any typical BS line. 

You are one of NH’s snowmobiling problems. I don’t Care  what you’ve done before. 

"you Old Fart RINO’s"
"I am everything this country stands for, not just some asshole running his mouth. so if you listen to me when I talk you might learn something"

With all do respect, and thank you for your service, talking to people like this isn't very helpful or persuasive. Calling people you are trying to get on your side old Fart's and RINO's isn't gonna change anyone's mind either. This site is not affiliated with the NHSA, although people from the NHSA post here from time to time, you are much better off to take your concerns up directly with them instead name calling and insults on here.

Yup, you are right, I'm the problem, it's all my fault.

Edited by snorander

7 minutes ago, snorander said:

"you Old Fart RINO’s"
"I am everything this country stands for, not just some asshole running his mouth. so if you listen to me when I talk you might learn something"

With all do respect, and thank you for your service, talking to people like this isn't very helpful or persuasive. Calling people you are trying to get on your side old Fart's and RINO's isn't gonna change anyone's mind either. This site is not affiliated with the NHSA, although people from the NHSA post here from time to time, you are much better off to take your concerns up directly with them instead name calling and insults on here.

Yup, you are right, I'm the problem, it's all my fault.

“ Lighten up Francis”

I said said RINO twice to make a point, not insult you. There was content before and after that word to drive home a point!!

everything I’m saying to you guys is to drive home a point. 

Slednh is NH’s oldest snowmobile forum with the largest community of important NH Snowmobilers and snowmobiling names. 

I think I agree with wideopenornothin, I believe NH does need to adapt. I don’t ride back country nor do I have the desire at the moment, but wouldn’t mind trying it someday.

To lose the younger generation of riders, the future of snowmobiling to the lack of off trail riding will not help the cause at all.

i used to be part of the 4x4/rock crawling community. For us the big issue was access to land and education. Often access wasn’t easy to attain without educating others to our sport. I’m not suggesting I’ll lead the way, but maybe folks/nhsa need to take a moment to understand and educate themselves to the needs of other riders and their desired riding style 

I just contacted nhsa through website and expressed all of our full concerns. 

No worries every, Ive got it under control

45D89563-5614-43EB-A55E-9B0BE6EED073.gif

Edited by WideOpenOrNothin