Sign in to follow this  
mbeaunh

GPS use in heavy snow

I plan to be riding Sunday in an unfamiliar area. How well do the GPS units work when it's snowing (sounds like it'll be snowing pretty heavily on Sunday)? I have Garmin Montana. 

I have never had trouble in the car, so I would think you would be fine. Probably want to make sure you keep it dry though. 

I always carry a map, as a backup. 

My Garmin has worked fine in moderate snow conditions.  Mounted to the handlebars.  I'm pretty sure the Montana is waterproof so the snow shouldn't cause any issues.  The newest Montana (680t) looks to be full touch screen so that might be a bit tough if you need to scroll around.  If it's problematic, just keep in a pocket till you reach a junction then pull it out to get your bearings.

The Montana series GPS will work fine.  I dropped my 680T into 12" of water while crossing a brook a couple of summers ago, still working fine on my snowmobile. BTW-- I have both BackwoodsGPS & TrailmasterGPS loaded onto my SD card.  I have found  a lot of discrepancy between the two, so I try to look at my route using both maps, to feel insured that the trail is actually viable. 

Thanks for the feedback. It's the Montana 680t with Trailmaster map, so I guess I'll be good. Riding Nash on Saturday, and originally thought I'd go back on Sunday, but with the kind of snow predicted, I'm thinking that trailering back on Sunday with the family may be a bit hazardous, so I'd like to ride out of the Coos Motor Inn parking lot (they have a connector trail at the back of the lot), and explore the local (unfamiliar) trials a bit. I'm hearing that heading toward Jefferson is probably best. Not looking for big miles, just want to be out making first tracks for few hours. 

Probably a good plan. I have a GPS on my sled, and rely on it, but I keep a map with me too. Between that, and the maps at the trail junctions in that area, you should be fine. If you think you may be out after dark, bring a flashlight. Can be hard to see those maps in the dark...  :banghead:

Looks like Sunday we will be all doing this >>  :shovel:

Remember not to point your snowblower chute into the wind...

Yup, the Gamin Montana worked flawlessly in heavy snow. No issue whatsoever maintaining a signal.