Sign in to follow this  
detchells

OHRV/Snowmobile Event Permits

This past July new OHRV and Snowmobile administrative rules were adopted by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department. There were many changes from the old rules that have been in place for the prior 10 years. One of changes was the OHRV/Snowmobile Event Permits. In the past permits were due into the department 30 before the event. Under the New rules event permits “MUST BE RECEIVED AT LEAST 45 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT”. This does not mean post marked. If the club falls within the 45 days the event will not be approved. Notification was sent out back in July and August. Below is a link to the Fis 1500 rules.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/state_agencies/fis1500.html

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the office at 603-271-3129 or email at Dennis.etchells@wildlife.nh.gov.

I'm just getting the word out as many ways possible. Please let your clubs know. Again any questions please feel free to contact me.

Dennis

Stupid to move it farther out. With the shortness of a snow season, clubs need to able to react quickly.  Laziness on the part of F&G.

To bad it's the clubs that have annual events and have the dates already set. I have and will always willing to work with clubs but when ignorance to the rule is the reason I don't call that laziness. I put this out as a means to spread the word and not to get into an argument. If you have a problem or would like to call me I would be happy to discuss it with you but lets be careful who you are calling lazy.

Dennis Etchells, Jr  NH Fish and Game.

Dennis, I think that noxorc was questioning why it would take a small department over 30 days to evaluate the granting of a club event  permit. You might have described how the additional 2 weeks for the process would result in better decisions by your agency, but lacking any such data I'd have to say that this change was poorly thought out. The clubs are struggling with very erratic weather, and nobody knows what the situation will be in 30 days.

It was good that you reminded the clubs of the administrative change, but you shouldn't expect that everybody will think it's a good idea.

When the event permits come in they are approved by the Captain. They then come to me. When we do a permit it is typed up, many copies are made. I have to send the permits to the conservation officer that covers the area, the district LT., Trails bureau, The local police and in some areas the local FD, The Sheriff's office and the State Police that cover the area. The extra time is due to the increase of other paperwork and office duties that I need to do. The OHRV/Snowmobile program in the office in Concord is handled by the Captain and myself. We do have one of regional Cord. come in for a day and half to help with data entry and we can some days keep our heads above water. When the snowmobile season starts so does the funny farm at the state house. We are over there or on the phones with senators and rep's. All of this was stated at the public hearings that were held when we were in the process of adopting the rules. Again I have and always will be willing to work with clubs and understand that the weather plays the major role. Many time as I stated before it's events that have been planned months in advance. I take offence though to being called lazy. At anytime you are more than welcome to come and see what takes place in the F&G Law Office.

11 hours ago, detchells said:

At anytime you are more than welcome to come and see what takes place in the F&G Law Office.

Given all that F&G is tasked with these days, with limited funding and personnel, I appreciate all that you do for us Dennis.

J's point was well taken, and I am glad to see you explain what you face on a daily basis in your office. I also know Nigel very well. He is a great guy as well, and I understand his frustration with the ever increasing complications that clubs face across the State as they simply struggle to just survive.

Its just sad that we are once again rolling in to a mostly snowless winter across the region south of the notches. Maybe, just maybe, the new makeup of the legislature will result in some positive changes for funding (and personnel) for your agency!

Happy New Year.....

21 hours ago, detchells said:

....... The extra time is due to the increase of other paperwork and office duties that I need to do. .......

It just keeps repeating in my head "45 days"... "45 days".   You got to be kidding me.  There is something wrong with your process Dennis.

I attend most of my club meetings and I don't recall the announcement of this change.   Thanks for sharing this.

So, I'm not here to bitch.  I'm here to make a difference.  

What can we (as clubs) do to help you make it more efficient to get this job done?

Is it information gathering needed?   phone numbers?  emails addresses?  

This isn't done by paper is it? snail mail?

What about an online form that clubs fill out?

The local clubs sometimes do not get the information of the rules changes from the Associations... that would be a Executive/Director flaw at the Association. 

Sometimes the local clubs get the rule changes, but don't bother to inform the entire membership... so it seems to come as a ''surprise''.

The easiest way to help Dennis is to get the information to him on time or early.

I know that he has been very lenient in the past... more lenient than he should have been... as I myself have been involved with permit requests that should have been made months in advance but waited till the last minute due to weather concerns.

The proposed rules changes were all posted here and on other forums:

And yet only a few clubs showed up at the public hearings to discuss and object to some of the proposed changes. If clubs don't like the new rules, then maybe they should have attended the hearings and voiced their concerns. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and hope everything will be the way we like it.

is it practiced that if I have a F&G APPROVED event and it needs to be postponed weeks or sometimes a month+ later, does it stay approved? I get the rules and thanks for the announcement, but the crazy conditions have us jumping through hoops for club events some years.

Yes if you have an approved event and need to move the weekend all you have to do is give me a call or send an email. This happens many times throughout the season.