Renegade08

Helmet Communicators

Anyone have any experience with communicators?

I know there's various brands (collett, sena, uclear) and technology (900 MHz, Bluetooth).  

Having music and/or calls is not really that important.

Fitment/usability with a ski-doo modular (with the breathing mask) is important.

I've been using Sena SM-10s for 4 years now. We now have 4. I bought a 4th for our daughter this year. I replaced the rechargeable battery on the 2 original units last year (battery was quite cheap on ebay and there's a good Youtube video showing how to do it). We usually get a good 6 hours continuous use out of them. You can also plug in an external battery when you get the battery low warning. They have many functions but only use them for communication purposes.  There typically isn't a lot of physical distance between us, so the signal is rarely lost. If the signal is lost, usually on hilly, twisty and narrow type trails, they reconnect automatically.  

I always had good luck with the Collett Communicators, even after they shut down briefly. Great range and battery life and the groomer alert beacon worked well for me. The one time I had an issue I actually got the owner on the phone when I called for a warranty replacement cord.

Thanks Skip and mbeaunh...

Either of you use either system with Ski-Doo modulars (or BV2s) ... with the breath mask system in place?  Curious if the mic works through it...or if the mic can go under it while still maintaining a good enough seal to remain effective.

Leaning towards collett 900 MHz system as range will be much better than BT.

16 hours ago, Renegade08 said:

Thanks Skip and mbeaunh...

Either of you use either system with Ski-Doo modulars (or BV2s) ... with the breath mask system in place?  Curious if the mic works through it...or if the mic can go under it while still maintaining a good enough seal to remain effective.

Leaning towards collett 900 MHz system as range will be much better than BT.

Didn't use it on a modular helmet but Collet makes a specialized mic for those, and seem to have good reviews. And yes, I was always impressed with the range and battery life (believe me, my wife talked endlessly on the damn thing). I had a bunch of buddies that used 49Mhz transmitters. I always carried a small 49Mhz handheld in case something happened. One time riding up in Stewartston a few years back I got separated from the pack. Whipped out the handheld and got ahold of one of the guys to get back to camp. 49Mhz was always on par with the 900Mhz for range....sometimes up to 1/4 mile or more depending on terrain!

Sena has a side mount that fits any helmet. Mine is modular, the other 3 are not. I suspect the Collet does have better range. Bluetooth is fine on open areas, but on twisty, hilly, heavily wooded areas we can lose a signal within 1/10th of a mile.