Sign in to follow this  
PolarisCobra

Sled would not start

Pulled the trailer up from the back of the yard last week, charged the batteries. and tried to start them up. The newer sled started and ran like a charm. The older one, my 2003 Polaris Trail Touring 550 would not start. Ran fine when I cleaned it and put it on the trailer in the spring. Has started fine in past years. 

I remembered a problem that I had with my other Polaris sled a few years ago, also in the fall. Shined a flashlight into the fuel tank, and sure enough, the fuel line had rotted and fallen off where it connects to the fitting that goes through the front of the tank. Same thing happened to the other one a few years back. 

Went to the local small engine repair shop, got a few feet of Tygon tubing, which is what they use to replace bad fuel lines these days, Pulled the airbox, disconnected the hose from the fitting on the tank, unscrewed the fitting Fished the old hose out of the tank with a bent coat hanger. Connected a new hose to the tank side of the fitting and put it back, fished the new hose end out of the tank, and put the filter back on (filter would not fit through hole in tank). Was going to replace the rest of the fuel lines, but they really looked fine, so I let sleeping dogs lie. Pulled the drain tubes off the bottom of the carbs, they were clean and dry. Put the air box back, and buttoned everything up. Turned the key, and once the carbs primed it started right up and ran like a charm. 

Moral of the story - if your sled won't start in the fall, and it doesn't seem to be flooding, check the hose inside the tank. 

I went through the same ordeal with a 98 Indy 500 liquid, ended up removing the fuel pump, rebuilding it, rippin the carbs down, and finally looked into the tank and saw the fuel pickup line floating there laughing at me. Replaced the pickup line and away she went.  Had the same thing happen with a 76 Rupp liquid Nitro, which had original lines on it, not much of a surprise there because of the age.

pathfinder

I suspect it happens fairly often on older sleds. Seemed like it was worth sharing the experience, might save someone else from doing a lot on unnecessary work. 

Took me a lot longer to figure out the first time it happened for sure. 

On 11/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, PolarisCobra said:

I suspect it happens fairly often on older sleds. Seemed like it was worth sharing the experience, might save someone else from doing a lot on unnecessary work. 

Took me a lot longer to figure out the first time it happened for sure. 

Dave , you may want to check the rest of your lines,,, better now than in Feb!!!!

10 hours ago, rivercat said:

Dave , you may want to check the rest of your lines,,, better now than in Feb!!!!

You may also find a large mouse nest in the air box while you're replacing those line, as I did.

I wanted to upgrade the fuel lines from blue poly to tygon, but couldn't find 5/16'th ID tygon for the line from the tank to the fuel pump so it was blue poly again there and tygon for the rest. Tygon is probably overkill because the original blue poly lasted over 10 years, but now I can say I've modded the sled.

I was able to spend a few hours in the garage yesterday, replaced the rear springs, adjusted track tension & alignment, and drained, cleaned, and adjusted the chain case. Still need to clean the exhaust valves, and clean the carbs. Definitely thinking about taking it somewhere to get the clutch serviced too. 

9C5BD408-7608-4D71-9716-F8D46B26C82C.jpeg

93066091-CFA7-4668-8DD4-FF5B7F2EC88F.jpeg

2918EDEE-8BDA-4306-9FD5-6DB71C12CD50.jpeg

Edited by snorander