Skip

Snowy winter on tap?

So...

I am gonna buck the trend of everyone who is saying:

We are gonna have a lot of SNOW!!!!!

I clutched my sled this year, which is a great thing, but everytime I do something like this, we get no snow...

Jus Sayin'

On 12/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, Renegade08 said:

It's tough to come up with any encouraging words regarding snowfall in New England this season. There's some mumbling about January becoming colder if the current El Nino conditions prove to remain mild. NOAA is predicting equal chances for higher, lower, and normal temperatures and precipitation for January-March.

Edited by jhwentworth

Winter said to be warmer than normal in northeast. Also, 40 year trend has been upward with 3.2* rise in median temp since 70's to today.  Just saw this on weather channel.

Now, go buy that $15k long track, pack your goggles mx helmet and back pack  and stand ride all the way to your favorite trespass spot.

From the NWS Hazardous Weather Outlook for today.

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for Maine, south central Maine,
southwest Maine, west central Maine, western Maine, New Hampshire,
central New Hampshire, northern New Hampshire and southern New
Hampshire

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Monday through Saturday. A winter storm is possible this weekend with significant snow accumulation possible across the region. The most likely time for this would be Saturday night and Sunday.

Monday morning update

The NWS is sticking with the Hazardous Weather Outlook for the weekend.

"Some weak phasing between northern and southern streams for Friday could produce a round of light accumulating snows.
By Sunday...significant phasing occurs with the resulting deep trough situated over the eastern third of the CONUS. Meanwhile at the surface...low pressure potentially brings a significant round of wintry precipitation to the region in the Sunday-Monday timeframe."

Weather.com and Accuweather.com have got onboard, with the snow forecast.

Edited by jhwentworth

Looks like a good storm is due to roll through Sunday, maybe ole man winter is here to stay. 

On a side note, we have had ZERO plowable snow here in RI, not even a dusting. Long range forecast around these parts is just calling for rain. So at the very least am happy you guys up north are to get to enjoy winter and allow me to join from time to time....

NWS 1/16/2019

Snow Amounts: If you`ve been waiting for winter, here it is. Potential for very heavy snow accumulation /widespread double digit snowfall/ continues to increase. With 1-1.5" of liquid precipitation, even a modest 10:1 snow ratio easily achieves that objective. In fact higher snow ratios are quite possible, particularly in the interior. Forecast soundings show strong upward motion in the snow growth zone on Sunday morning across southern Maine and expect a region of snowfall rates over 1"/hr through Sunday. It`s far too early to pin down any mesoscale effects other than to mention that strong snow bands are likely with this kind of strong dynamic storm and any areas that remain under snowbands may see closer to 2"/hr rates.

Current graphic on weather.com showing possible Fri-Mon snowfall. Yes, it shows southern NH getting 3+ feet of snow, and central NH getting 2"-3'.

Weather1.PNG

weather.PNG

Edited by jhwentworth

Bring it on BABY...Finally will be able to sit in the groomer and do something.

Going to get Hammered at camp...loving it.  Good riding there now will be even better!  Have an outdoor camera this year so cam watch it pile up!  Guess I will need to shovel the roof when I get up there.

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

Edited by CATRESERVE
Add

Well, It's not over yet, but this storm hasn't followed the original game plan very well. In Loudon we have maybe 5"of snow, with very fine sleet pellets falling. Supposed to change back over to snow at some point. 

On a positive note, went ice fishing yesterday at Suncook Lake in Barnstead and there was about 15" of ice. There quite a few sleds and 4-wheelers out there. The ice was covered with about 4" of hard snow and almost perfectly flat. Would have been perfect for a speed run.

On this day last year Skip started this topic by asking if early snow in Canada meant we would have a snowy winter.

NOAA NWS forecast discussion for the next few days.

Through Thursday: I would also be remiss if I did not mention that forecast
soundings do show sub-freezing temps mainly above 4000 ft across
the White Mtns. That could mean a large portion of the event may
stay as frozen for the highest summits in the Presidentials.

Thursday night:  increased PoPs along the Canadian
border in our typical upslope region. With this occurring
overnight the ptype now once again comes into play. Expect snow
to descend to 2000ft with the possibility for accumulation all
the way down to the surface right along the Canadian border.
Have leaned a bit colder in this area as this is where the core
of the cold air aloft will be with the upward motion being just
enough to generate some snow accumulation.

Interesting looking through this thread from last year. Lots of doomsday stuff until early January, then things got better. We really did have a pretty good snow winter last year overall. 

Let hope for another...

11 minutes ago, PolarisCobra said:

Interesting looking through this thread from last year. Lots of doomsday stuff until early January, then things got better. We really did have a pretty good snow winter last year overall. 

Let hope for another...

Last year's snowfall was light in the southern half of the state, with Concord getting only 39.2" in the December-March season. December had only 3.4" of snow, and that tends to keep sled registrations down. 

Interesting that there's little talk about early snow, cold weather, and that first ride of the season. Around my area that first ride would probably have been at the Cog Railroad road in Bretton Woods. I haven't been there in years, but it was a popular spot.

The NWS is pretty sure we'll have some kind of winter weather in the Tuesday-Wednesday time, but not too sure about precipitation type or amount. They are pretty sure it will be cold (around 10°) on Wednesday night. Coos County could end up with 6"-12"of snow and temperatures in the 0°-10° range, and staying cold into Sunday.

Having lived in Pittsburg for 20 plus years, it's always Winter except for the last week in July and the first two weeks in August! LOL! But seriously the latest switch in the weather, from the late balmy temps to a system coming up at us in the next couple of days that are suppose to bring record setting low temps and snow. I can attest that there is serious WINTER in the air. Where II live, close to First Conn Lake, there is 4-6 inches of snow staying put and it has frozen in a wet state, which should get us a quick start of a base. My totally un scientific opinion is it's going to be one heck of a winter, with lot's of very  cold temps. Stayed tuned!!!

pathfinder

The weekend+ storm dropped about 7+" of snow in Loudon. I traveled to East Derry today, and they got 16"-17" of snow. Parts of south-western NH got 30+" of snow. Still, got to figure that the brooks, rivers, and swamps aren't frozen down here.