Sign in to follow this  
Skip

600 ETEC Mileage Recommendations

OK, I'm seriously looking into a sled for this winter. Haven't ridden for two years since I sold by 2010 etec 600 Renegade (big mistake).

No way am I paying the current price for a new replacement. But I love the 600 etec motor.

Looking for some expert opinions as to the mileage limitation I should be looking at where I might seek a discount as the etec might be approaching a top end rebuild. I've heard everywhere from 5k up to 8 or 9K. Don't want to by a sled only to have to rebuild the top end in a season or two.

Thoughts and any links to a great deal on a 2012 or greater used etec, preferably a Renegade, would be much appreciated!

Skip

Skip,  

Have you looked at it's new big brother, the 850 E-TEC?

Although, the more I read about the new 600-ETEC, that is incredible engine too.

-Nigel

I'm pretty sure Jeff had close to 10K on his Renegade 600 e-tech without any issues. I'm not sure how many miles Big Jim put on his.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, Skip said:

OK, I'm seriously looking into a sled for this winter. Haven't ridden for two years since I sold by 2010 etec 600 Renegade (big mistake).

No way am I paying the current price for a new replacement. But I love the 600 etec motor.

Looking for some expert opinions as to the mileage limitation I should be looking at where I might seek a discount as the etec might be approaching a top end rebuild. I've heard everywhere from 5k up to 8 or 9K. Don't want to by a sled only to have to rebuild the top end in a season or two.

Thoughts and any links to a great deal on a 2012 or greater used etec, preferably a Renegade, would be much appreciated!

Skip

I just checked with Jeff and here was his reply.

id run a 600 etech to 10k miles without thinking twice,  guessing my 09 had 6-7k on it when i sold it.  didn't think twice about the one i bought for james going over 4k miles on our canada trip last winter.

I've also been looking for a sled to replace my wife's Arctic Cat that burned last winter, and a Renegade with a 600 ETEC would be a possibility. I have a Ski Doo GSX with the 600 ETEC that has about 6,000 miles, so I've done some research on the upper end rebuild. FWIW, I've read that most 600 ETECs will go 10,000 miles before bad things happen.  Now, the isoflex grease on the crank bearing might wear out at 6000 miles, but that all depends on how hard you push the motor. Bottom line is that the ETEC is a very good and reliable motor but very expensive to fix.