Sign in to follow this  
snorander

I know I said my next sled would be a rev, but.....

The price was right so I couldn't pass this one up. It will be a great project to work on with my 11 year old son. 150lb in each cylinder and no spark. Let the fun begin!

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1457A.jpg

IMG_1459A.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by snorander

Will be interesting to watch this progress. You will need to do some searching to find the missing parts for that thing for sure. 

Could turn out to be a great project. 

Thankfully it is very complete. All that is missing is the air box. My brother in law has a sprint parts sled that I have to pick up, but it's hurting and missing stuff too. Other than fixing the no spark issue, I just need a windshield and a hood as this one is cracked (now a nice hood will be tough to find, hopefully I'll stumble across one from a sprint as they seemed to be more common).

IMG_1455B.jpg

Edited by snorander

Looks awesome Steve!  That will be a great project for you and your son!  And it looks like you've already given it the WD-40 treatment.  That's always the first step. :D

If the windshield isn't cracked (it looks complete from the pics) then you might be able to clean it up with plastic polish.  I've had pretty good luck with this stuff:  

https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533582870&sr=8-4&keywords=plastic+polish

And if you can't find a hood in time, you can always do the "frankenstein repair" - holes drilled on either sides of the crack and then stitched together with zip ties.  I know that wouldn't really be up to snorander standards, but it would get you by until you could find one. :good:

Thanks Mike,

A quick once over and it has spark, so I’ll clean the carb this weekend and see if she’ll fire up! Now if I could only find the damn engine tag so I can figure out what motor is in it. I’m really hoping it’s a 340, but from what I’ve found online I think it’s a 440. If I could Id the sled itself that would help too lol. Model number and year built have long since worn away. I’ve got the serial number but can’t find anywhere online to decode it.

Good family project for the summer...looking forward to seeing it on the trails this winter!  I've got a few projects to work on but I don't have AC in the shop.  Miserable weather can' wait for fall/winter.

Enjoy to build.

Me either, my garage is been a furnace the last few weeks....

So it doesn't have spark again. It is a 1984 SS. Bigger engine then I would like for his first sled, but it'll do. Was able to find an air box for it and now I'm waiting on new exciter coil & lighting coil. Once I get it running, I'll start working on the cosmetics and start looking for more parts....

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

20180817_152443.jpg

Male sure you get all the nest out of there, if the airflow is clogged, you won't be riding it long. 

Since you know there were mice in there, check all the wiring really well, don't want intermittent shorts to plague you all winter. 

You're making progress - that's good. 

Yes indeed, I pulled the shrouds and cleaned the mess out. Checked about half of the wiring, and still need to replace the fuel lines. Slow and steady at this point as I haven't had much free time to work on it.

2018-09-23 17.06.15.jpg

Hmmm don’t want to jinx myself, but the scope of this project appears to be completely changing, but sadly I have to wait two weeks to find out for sure. In the mean time I still need to get this one back together and running.

Two new internal coils, a new external coil and...boom

Edited by snorander

A few more pictures

2D4A96CC-F476-4E28-96E0-BFAAB397A253.jpeg

6FDBC24A-608D-4E54-AB42-CB03B53C4C6B.jpeg

80D7C541-0CDF-4EF7-AB54-A5E04ECFC2CE.jpeg

2F43DAE4-784F-4AD7-9B4F-0290C9F92449.jpeg

Edited by snorander

Nice job!

That sounds like progress for sure. Having it running is the best incentive to working on the rest. 

:good:

So I polished the windshield tonight. Used 3M headlight cleaning kit. It worked great, except for the tight curves near the edge, but for my purposes it worked just fine. Quite a big difference.

76FDD6B1-E832-4A9E-8DD8-103DE8D1F214.jpeg

B6EF21C8-E237-49F8-9879-E7C46CE89693.jpeg

6312B773-418A-4BC4-92D0-7BA31CAC9413.jpeg

AE557A26-2E69-44E8-AF67-93480C1FE0B9.jpeg

39BDFA7D-1865-4B96-AC8D-5C2375DA3839.jpeg

Edited by snorander

Double post

Edited by snorander

Looks great Steve!  I knew that windshield would clean up nice!  Nice job!

Thanks! I have reached the end with this project and another project will be landing in my garage tomorrow....So it is time for this one to go. Installed a new kill switch last night, haven't had a chance to test it yet. The brake light isn't working, but the tail lights and headlight are. Not sure if it is a bulb issue or a wire harness issue (there are splice connectors on the harness under the seat so I'm guessing they are bad). I have a replacement tail light harness that I haven't had a chance to install, but it is included.

https://nh.craigslist.org/for/d/1984-polaris-ss/6711038564.html

Edited by snorander

Wow!  Where'd you find that?  A museum???