Sign in to follow this  
Saluda

New Doo lineup

Any comments or thoughts, a turbo, new helmet ?

jay    1

IMO they nailed it.  Good options in all categories.  The 900ACE is a proven winner.  The Turbo version should be no different.

Looks like the 1200 is going away, replaced by the 900 turbo, which is likely lighter, will use less fuel, and more powerful. Plus, for Doo, only one engine to build, and I think that one is used in other products. 

Didn't get a close look at the helmet. 

Seems like a smart move on their part. 

Helmet looks interesting but once again not cheap. That one motor should help Ski Doo with cost and most likely left over inventory.

Haven't looked at new sleds for quite a while, and when I visited the Ski Doo web site it was very much like visiting a Chevy dealer: First you select from 8  models, then from multiple packages,  then from 6 engines and other options. Not all engines are in all packages.  I selected the Renegade model and compared the 5 packages. Then I looked at the 4 engine choices in the Renegade Adrenaline.

From top X-RS to bottom Sport the Renegade models run between $8650-=$16,000+. The top 4 models have the Gen 4 Platform, plus the Enduro has an Air Ride Rear Shock and the X-RS has the RAS 3 Front Suspension. Engines run from the 60 hp Ace 600 to the 900 Turbo with 154 hp and the 850-ETEC with 165 hp. There are multiple color options along with a large accessory list.

The least expensive sled I found was the MXZ Sport w/600 carb for $8300. The mountain sleds are pricey, especially if you want the SHOT start system. This $600 option enables you to have a type of electric restart without a starter motor or battery. You pull start the motor and while it's running a super-capacitor (maybe the flux capacitor from Back To the Future?) is charging. To restart push the SHOT button and the capacitor discharges through the engine magneto which now functions as an electric motor to start the engine.

I do believe you could do some serious harm to yourself at your local Ski Doo dealer, so be careful down there.

Edited by jhwentworth

I was looking to see if anyone was offering an air conditioner option. Maybe after this season.....

I call this “The Harley Davidson Syndrome”. They are pushing people who might have interest in snowmobiling away. They are not building lower cost sleds for people between the ages of 12 - 17. If you don’t bring new riders to the party, the party ends.

Just remember, ALL these manufacturers build more than just sleds. Not enough sales, they stop.

in 2007 the industry sold about 256,000 sleds. In 2014 it was 126000.

You do the math.

1 hour ago, smallengineguy said:

I do like the SHOT system they use. Awesome technology.

It is, but for me electric start is needed most on those first starts cold mornings, but then again newer sleds start much easier than the older ones.

The SHOT technology depends on the ETEC motor starting immediately. I have a sled with ETEC technology, and it does start immediately. I also have a Chevy pickup with direct fuel injection that often doesn't start immediately.

We've had great luck with the ETEC starts.

I have not liked the trend of sleds the past 10 years so I have been progressively losing interest in the new ones. I went to the doo show last week...just more of the same.  I wont even bother going to Polaris as they have become the worst. They are making sleds like dirt bikes or atv's.  The rider is poised far too high causing high CG and subsequent lack of stability and confidence.  Seems they are now easy to stand up over the bumps, but they don't ride good over bumps when you are sitting. For comparison I can tell you my wifes 15 year old pantera rides better over stutters and typical trail bumps than does my 015 r-motion air ride ski-doo. Early this winter we had some wicked cold temps out there and we all froze, but her. I rode her sled that day and could not believe how much warmer it was. She wanted her sled back immediately. In the past she had rev, IQ, and XP and never liked them actually almost gave up riding. I bought her an older cheaper two up pantera and she just loves riding again.  I'm feeling similar way. I love the new motors and the 1200 in particular, but the too high too rider FWD is too cold and not as much fun IMO. the new G4 is just too extreme.  I think Im done buying new. I have no interest in millenial snow cross sleds made for stand up ditch banging only to ride on groomed trails in cold weather.   Other guys in my group, one with a new procross, feel the same way pretty much. Never mind the high prices.  I know why sales are HALF of what they were for a long time...not long ago.  I'll never understand why Cat gave up on their IRP system whereas the foot wells were dipped low and offered an adjustable height seat all offering low rider CG height, and excellent...even better leg and hip extension ergonomics than their newest stuff..   I suppose the new thundercat  / srx with lowered ride height is going in right direction but its not enough to just put softer pre-load springs. I used to complain all the time about too low seats in the early 2k's....but now its ridiculous and they have gone far too high and fwd. I know guys with bad knees always disagree with me. I say we can have great leg extension and lower rider CG...look at f-series cats.  Bring these back and refine and watch sales grow.