ljgomes

Trail Report

Took a ride on PT109 south from Stark and ran into flooded section of trail.  The Ammonoosuc River had a large ice dam which put 2-3' of water over the trail about 2 miles south of Spruceville.  There are two bridges in that area and I am not sure if they are still in place.  Also heard there was flooding at Cor. 19 near Rt. 110 A.   Other than the flooding, the trails are in terrific shape.  The base was completely intact and perfectly smooth almost like they were paved with cement with a little bit of powder on top.  If we get a few inches of snow on top of the base, we will be right back in business.

Heading north on PT109N turned out to be a lot different than the heading south.  The base was only about 85% intact with multiple washouts and ice in many spots.  There is still quite a bit of running water that should freeze up in the next couple of days.  We only went a few miles before turning around.  The good news is that with one good snowstorm, the groomers should be able to get the trail back into shape. 

I rode Sunday in the North Stratford area and found conditions way above expectations.  Unless you were unfortunate enough to venture down toward the  Stratford Nighthawks club house and head north on 3 - then you had to endure the hell created by the moron that rode the 4 wheelers on Friday in the slush. this hardened into 12 inch deep ruts swerving back and forth and side to side causing even a seasoned rider to lose control.  I wish the state would get smart and create a specific season that keeps wheelers off snowmobile trails from Dec 15 thru April 15.   I guess that would just be to smart.

9 hours ago, gsxdoo285@yahoo.com said:

I rode Sunday in the North Stratford area and found conditions way above expectations.  Unless you were unfortunate enough to venture down toward the  Stratford Nighthawks club house and head north on 3 - then you had to endure the hell created by the moron that rode the 4 wheelers on Friday in the slush. this hardened into 12 inch deep ruts swerving back and forth and side to side causing even a seasoned rider to lose control.  I wish the state would get smart and create a specific season that keeps wheelers off snowmobile trails from Dec 15 thru April 15.   I guess that would just be to smart.

I think there is an idea of that Sleds/ATV's will respect the trails,  but time after time it's shown that many humans have no respect for anybody or anything but themselves.

2 hours ago, pekabu said:

I think there is an idea of that Sleds/ATV's will respect the trails,  but time after time it's shown that many humans have no respect for anybody or anything but themselves.

Sad, but true.

Wonderful....that's right on my back yard.  I suspect it has to do with trail master that owns the grand ole lodge and had a bunch of 4 four wheelers there over during the monsoon rainy weekend.  Great.  Somehow I doubt the 1" of snow they got today wont clean up massive atv trenches all over the trail system.  I love who they enforce the no atv riding over 32" rule effing bull crap..     Wondering if its even worth going up there this weekend?

Went on another ride out of South Pond in Stark today.  Headed south on PT109 and got to the area that was flooded last weekend.  Even though the ice dam is still in place on the Ammonoosuc River, the water had gone down and the trail was no longer under water.  It had some ice on top but the base of the trail and the two bridges that were under water were completely intact with just a thin layer of ice on top.  The rest of PT109 heading south was perfect and turned out to be the best riding of the day. 

Got to the Yamaha trail and took that over to Cor. 19.  The Yamaha trail was just OK.  Looks like it has only been groomed once before the warmup and not done since then.  Cor. 19 along Head Pond Road was plowed for over 2 miles.  Was still snow covered so it was not bad. 

Once off Head Pond Road, Cor. 19 goes into the woods towards the powerline and it was rough.  Again it did not look like it had been groomed recently but maybe it was just hammered due to yesterdays (Saturday) traffic and warm temps.  Got gas at the Milan Luncheonette and continued north.  The powerline was a little better than the woods trail.  Plenty of snow, just had not been groomed recently.  Just as an FYI the trail to Ursuala's was not groomed and someone told me she was not going to be open this winter.  Too bad.  One of my favorite lunch spots. 

Crossed over Rt. 110 and Cor. 19 going north was closed due to logging so all traffic is being routed onto Alt. 19.  Again it was rough, but once I hit Cedar Book Road, the trail smoothed out.  Got to PT117 and took that west.  In spite of the thin base, Groveton had groomed that trail and it was flat as could be.  But it did have ice in several spots so take it slow especially on the hills and corners.   Headed south again on PT109 and in spite of thin snow cover, Groveton had groomed it and filled in most of the water bars that had opened up during last weekends rainstorm. 

Warning:  the section of PT109 just south of the Rt. 110 crossing has a LOT of ice across the trail.   It was very tricky riding up that steep hill trying to keep my momentum going in between the large patches of ice.  I don't know how the groomer got up and down this section of trail without sliding off but somehow they managed it.  Total ride of 45 miles with conditions varying from great to fair.  The next storm on Tuesday is supposed to be a mix of snow, sleet and rain followed by a cold shot.  If we get wet snow followed by a freeze, that will go a long way to helping with the ice problems.  My fingers are crossed.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:20 PM, gsxdoo285@yahoo.com said:

We would have to open massive amounts of State and federal land to ATVs and Trail Bikes in the summer... and Jericho would need to be closed for the winter as OHRVs are primary.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:44 PM, AdrenalineJunky said:

Wonderful....that's right on my back yard.  I suspect it has to do with trail master that owns the grand ole lodge and had a bunch of 4 four wheelers there over during the monsoon rainy weekend.  Great.  Somehow I doubt the 1" of snow they got today wont clean up massive atv trenches all over the trail system.  I love who they enforce the no atv riding over 32" rule effing bull crap..     Wondering if its even worth going up there this weekend?

The over 32F is not a rule or law on the books... 

It is a common courtesy that the Association and clubs promote. 

Damaging the base of the trail ruins the experience for everyone.

Rode in Aroostook county this past weekend with my son and some friends.Trails were fast and flat. Only downside is the 7 hr drive .

IMG_20180119_133019155.jpg

IMG_20180119_121321334.jpg

IMG_20180120_135230783_HDR.jpg

Edited by Bilbo

Any good news for conditions in Coos? Was thinking of riding Friday 

Headed south on PT109 to Cor. 11 and then took the power line trail to the Mt. View Grand for lunch.  PT109 was still in great shape.  The northern end of Cor. 11 was in great shape.  The woods section of Cor. 11 was a little beat but not bad.  The southern section of Cor. 11 past Pond of Safety had just been groomed by the Waumbek Club and was perfect.  As we went south on Cor. 11, the main trail was plowed for logging so the snowmobile traffic was routed onto an alternate trail that runs next to the plowed road.  This alternate trail was rough in several spots due to washouts.  Once past the plowed logging road and back onto the trail, we started to run into ice until we hit the Rt. 2 crossing.  I recommend avoiding this section of Cor. 11 for now by going to Lowes gas station and coming up 12A to get to Cor. 11.  Once on the RR bed it was a speed limit ride on perfectly flat trail to Whitefield.  We left the RR bed and took the powerline trail west.  We met the Whitefield groomer on this trail trying to pull snow in to cover the ice.  The powerline trail was flat but extremely icy.  By the time we got to Mt. View Grand, our machines were overheating due to lack of loose snow.  Had a great lunch then headed back east to Gorham.  From Lowes gas station to Gorham, the RR bed (Cor. 12) was pretty bumped up but not terrible.  We then took Cor. 19 north through Jericho Park.  It also was also bumped up but being Sat. afternoon on a busy weekend, it was not unexpected.  Overall we did 100 miles with 80% on great trails. I think the trails held up so well because they have a hard base.  If we can get some new powder from some flurries this week, it would help a lot.

Overnight in Stark the temps went into the 40's and it got very windy.  The inch or two of crusty snow that had been covering up our icy base disappeared leaving glare ice in many spots.  I would not recommend riding until we get some snow.  Even if you can make it up the hills there will not be much loose snow for cooling or sliders.  We are supposed to get some flurries this week and hopefully a storm on Friday.  We need snow bad.

Snow totals: Twin 5", Whitefield 2", Lancaster 0", Groveton 0", Stark 4", Berlin 4", Gorham 2",  Jefferson 3".

Groomers were out and trails were great in Stark, Gorham, Berlin and Jefferson.  Only beat up trail: About 5 miles of Cor 11 south of PT118.  Looks like the groomer did not get to it when it was soft so moguls and stutter bumps are now frozen in place.  Other than that 5 mile section, the other 70 miles we did today was perfect. Kudos to the clubs in this area for a job well done.  Looks like they had the groomers out late last night and early this morning since the snow only finished yesterday afternoon.

Arrived in Stark to a foot of new snow that had fallen since last Sunday.  It's all powder but it gives the groomers a lot to work with.  I saw that both the Twin and Groveton groomers had been out.  Looking forward to a great ride tomorrow.

Did a 55 mile ride through the trails in Nash Stream Forest and the Stratford Bog area.  Conditions were really nice and we ran into one of the Groveton Groomers out by Stratford Bog.  Only problem is that the snow is very soft and it was already getting beat up with just a few yahoos following the groomer.   But at least we have it and we are going to get out early on Saturday to enjoy it before it gets really torn up.

Good news:  We received 2-3" of new snow last night and today.  Bad news:  Trails are hammered.  With the soft snow we expected things would not be that good so we decided to stay local and ride the trails in and around Jericho Park.  Other than Camp Loop and Scenic view trails, it did not look like any trails south of Rt. 110 had been groomed by WMRR since Wednesday's storm.  We headed to Gorham to get some gas and the Gorham club had groomed Cor. 19 and Cor. 12 last night.  They were the best trails we rode today but they had seen a lot of traffic so they were far from perfect.  55 miles of bump and grind, but with the fresh snow, the scenery was outstanding.  I expect the groomers will get out this week and pack this new snow down so it should be much better riding from mid next week on.

Larry, glad you got out and put on some miles. I rode to Littleton Saturday morning, up over Jefferson Notch over to Bethlehem from there to Littleton fueled up headed to Lancaster for lunch then back to Gorham it was all very good. The problem we are having in the Gorham area with our trails is the volume of the rental snowmobiles they are putting out every couple of hours. North East rentals has all their sleds here in Gorham because The Fryeburg and Bethel Locations have been closed. Not to mention the rental place in Breton woods are sending their renters to Gorham for lunch every day. Now these are usually large groups of inexperienced riders and it is taking a toll on our trails. We groom as much as we can but if the conditions are soft the trails will just not hold up to that kind of traffic. I hope Bethel and Fryeburg open back up soon!

Brian

Rode similar route Saturday as well but had lunch in Lincoln.  conditions were great early but got real choppy by mid day. Tons of traffic, epspecially the rentals. I assume a lot of those riders to be European for the fact I found many to be on my side of the trail several times....spotted in my shorts for just about all of them. Started to piss  me off because I felt I couldn’t have been more to the right. When that happens to you once or twice it changes the whole way you ride for the rest of the day, at least it did for me

6873A09E-BB27-4794-A1F5-CD309AA1BFFC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rock On said:

Larry, glad you got out and put on some miles. I rode to Littleton Saturday morning, up over Jefferson Notch over to Bethlehem from there to Littleton fueled up headed to Lancaster for lunch then back to Gorham it was all very good. The problem we are having in the Gorham area with our trails is the volume of the rental snowmobiles they are putting out every couple of hours. North East rentals has all their sleds here in Gorham because The Fryeburg and Bethel Locations have been closed. Not to mention the rental place in Breton woods are sending their renters to Gorham for lunch every day. Now these are usually large groups of inexperienced riders and it is taking a toll on our trails. We groom as much as we can but if the conditions are soft the trails will just not hold up to that kind of traffic. I hope Bethel and Fryeburg open back up soon!

Brian

You guys have done a great job this year.  Having the Moose Brook trail closed does not help either.  I was wondering why there were so many rental sleds at Northeast.  Any idea why they closed their other rental locations?

There has not been enough snow at their other locations, plus the other places do not groom like we do.

Saturday we rode Stark, Berlin and Gorham trails.  By the end of the day, it was getting icy in many spots and one of our riders did a 360 on Cor. 19 just south of Camp Loop Junction.  Luckily no one injured and sled was not damaged.  Saturday night we got 3" of new snow.  Just what we needed to help cover up the ice.  Sunday was great riding and several groomers in the area got out on Sunday night.  We had what I would describe as a perfect ride on Monday through the trails in Nash Stream.  All trails flat, no ice showing and clear blue skies.

Monday night it rained with temps in the upper 30's.  Today (Tuesday) it's still raining with temps in the low 40's and even warmer temps for Wed.  Not sure what will be left.  Will report back once the warmup is done.

After a picture perfect ride on Monday, temps went into the high 30's on Tuesday, but heavy fog and clouds kept these temps from doing much damage to the snow pack on Tuesday.  Wednesday was another story.  Temps started in the 50's and reached 64 in mid-afternoon with lots of sun before dropping back into the 40's in the late afternoon.  Wednesday night temps went down below freezing but the damage was done. In open areas, we are down to bare ground, but in the woods there is still pretty good coverage.  Most trails in the Stark and Milan area still have a base but it is very icy.  We really need a storm to get back in the game, hopefully wet snow that will adhere to the ice.

Unfortunately the Sunday snowstorm was a dud delivering just a couple of inches of snow.  Not enough to make up for the meltdown that happened last Wednesday.  Time for a snow dance.  In the meantime, strap on some ice skates as lakes and ponds have some nice smooth ice.