BigGuyNH

Soo decent day turns really bad

So I went up to Bridgewater to ride, a little cold got stuck in a drift, got some bad gas, Ahh well, still a good ride did 30 miles.

Then...

Coming home go off Exit 4 off 93 to get gas. Well the person  in front of me stop short to let someone into traffic, well, the car behind me hit my trailer.... HARD. How hard? Well, she bent the tongue of the trailer, the rear bumper of my new truck  was pushed down and the bed of my new truck is buckled.

I am ok, She is pissed, she has no insurance, said I didn't know how to drive.Right

The trailer is a total loss, and I will need to replace it. I had to leave my sled, which appears ok, at a friends house tail is that bad.

So I am looking for either a great used sled or something. I need 2 place covered somehow, 12Ft.

Pictures to follow.

Oh Wow!-- Sorry to hear about all of that. At least you are okay, the trailer and truck can be fixed.  She's the one without insurance and say's " you don't know how to drive? What a scumbag! It's always the scumbags, that have nothing, that don't have insurance. The responsible people that have something to loose carry the cost for those dead beats. I think this state should make having insurance mandatory. 

Problem is the states make all us carry insurance for said scum bags who don’t have anything to lose. Instead, they all get to continue to drive around without a worry in the world and prob enjoy the same benefits as all us insurance paying a-holes who don’t know how to drive?

Take her to court and make her pay.  A younger friend of mine didn't have insurance and had to pay for the damages through the court in payments.

That whole story is awful...a yes glad no one  was hurt.  I agree with Ultrarider insurance should be mandatory!

You will just have to think about the good part of the day...at least you got out of a drift.  I too got stuck in a drift in Groton yesterday...thank goodness for a snobungie!  

18 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

Problem is the states make all us carry insurance for said scum bags who don’t have anything to lose. Instead, they all get to continue to drive around without a worry in the world and prob enjoy the same benefits as all us insurance paying a-holes who don’t know how to drive?

If you really want to crank up your blood pressure just read what the uninsured motorist clause of your automobile insurance covers.

Your uninsured motorist "provides coverage should injuries result from an accident involving an at-fault uninsured driver, or a hit and run driver. It also protects against injuries caused by insured drivers whose coverage is less than your own. In New Hampshire, UM coverage must be provided at limits equal to your liability coverage."

Uninsured motorist coverage does not compensate you for a property loss, only for medical costs, so if you get hit by an uninsured motorist it's on your insurance, or you or your insurance company has to sue the uninsured motorist. You can imagine how many assets the average uninsured motorist might have. About 10% of NH motorists are uninsured.

I haven't seen any numbers, but I do wonder how many sleds are running uninsured.

Sorry to hear your day went to crap.

That sucks BigGuy.

It kills me how so many drivers will just barrel down an on ramp into a busy interstate, ASSuming that the ongoing traffic will make a space for them.  People no longer understand the concept of YIELD. 

Sorry to hear. Glad you are OK.

Edited by Saluda

Your insurance co. will pay for all your damage (I believe jhwentworth is incorrect) However you will most likely have to pay your deductable.This just happened to me a year ago.My ins co paid to fix my truck and then goes after the uninsured driver.They also will automatically lose their license.This is all assuming they give fault to her which if she ran into you then she is automatically at fault

The whole thing sucks but glad you are ok

Edited by Yamiblue

Sorry to hear about your annoying incident and you did the right thing in keeping your cool no matter how difficult it might have been....keep positive and good karma will come back around...

Ride Right, Ride Safe, and Ride On !

11 hours ago, Yamiblue said:

Your insurance co. will pay for all your damage (I believe jwentworth is incorrect) However you will most likely have to pay your deductable.This just happened to me a year ago.My ins co paid to fix my truck and then goes after the uninsured driver.They also will automatically lose their license.This is all assuming they give fault to her which if she ran into you then she is automatically at fault

The whole thing sucks but glad you are ok

I wrote "if you get hit by an uninsured motorist it's on your insurance, or you or your insurance company has to sue the uninsured motorist.". Yes, if you have collision insurance you're covered, but you'll have a deductible. If you have only liability insurance on your vehicle you're on your own.

Here's some suggestions from NH DMV

Does New Hampshire require insurance on a vehicle?

No. New Hampshire is not a mandatory or compulsory insurance state. Proof of insurance may be required as the result of a conviction, crash involvement, or administrative action. If you are required to file proof of insurance and vehicles are registered in your name, you will be required to file an Owners SR-22 Certificate of Insurance.

back to topAn uninsured motorist hit my vehicle. How can I get restitution?

If the combined damages are over $1,000.00 or there is personal injury and the uninsured motorist is at fault, New Hampshire can suspend the uninsured motorist's driver license and registration privileges.

To request that an uninsured motorist's driver license and registration privileges be suspended, submit the following to the FR Crash Unit:

• A copy of a police report or an Operator Report.Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol
  • A written damage estimate.
  • A written request for New Hampshire to take action.

back to topWhat can New Hampshire do if an uninsured motorist is an out-of-state resident?

The person's privilege to drive in New Hampshire will be suspended, and his/her home state will be notified of the suspension.

back to topCan a minor be suspended for an uninsured crash?

Yes, a parent/guardian will be responsible only if there is a judgment in court against them.

back to topI am an uninsured motorist who has been in a crash and my privileges have been suspended. If I cannot reach a mutual agreement with the other party, what can I do to satisfy the security requirement for restitution?

You can post restitution with DMV. Restitution must be for the full amount and shall be accepted in only one of the following forms:

• A certified check or money order, made payable to the "State of NH-DMV" for the exact amount specified; or
  • Cash for the exact amount specified; or
  • A standard interest bearing savings account in the exact amount specified, accompanied by a signed order of withdrawal.

This is getting too lengthy, but it's useful information about something called the modified comparative fault rule used in NH.

A driver who strikes another vehicle from behind is often found to have breached the duty of care. This is because he or she has not kept enough distance between cars, which is crucial to driving safely because vehicles sometimes stop suddenly and unexpectedly. While the driver following too closely may be deemed negligent for the rear-end collision, the other driver could also be partially at fault. New Hampshire maintains a modified comparative fault rule. Under this law, a victim cannot recover compensation if they are shown to be at greater fault than the defendant driver. On the other hand, if they are not more than 50 percent at fault, they may be able to recover compensation reduced by their degree of responsibility. 

Edited by jhwentworth

The really strange part is my insurance will not cover the trailer, because I thought, it was covered under my auto policy, it is not. It is also not covered under my sled policy.

So I am screwed out of a snowmobile trailer.

Anybody got a trailer for sale?

1 hour ago, BigGuyNH said:

The really strange part is my insurance will not cover the trailer, because I thought, it was covered under my auto policy, it is not. It is also not covered under my sled policy.

So I am screwed out of a snowmobile trailer.

Anybody got a trailer for sale?

You can add coverage for the trailer to your auto policy or sled policy, and it is very inexpensive.

The trailer coverage must vary by state. I checked, and have been told that my trailer is covered in an accident if it is connected to my truck, on my MA policy. 

Yea...

I figured that out lately

My bad Jhwentworth I misread your post.Getting old , time for glasses:D

Edited by Yamiblue

Regardless of insurance, you should be able to go after the driver that hit you for the value of the trailer, shouldn't you?

1 hour ago, PolarisCobra said:

Regardless of insurance, you should be able to go after the driver that hit you for the value of the trailer, shouldn't you?

You can.

It would be a little different had the trailer been insured. After the insurance claim, the insurance company would have taken it from there as to finding fault and collecting payment.

It this point. It takes more personal effort; and there is no guarantee of payment.

3 hours ago, John Mercier said:

You can.

It would be a little different had the trailer been insured. After the insurance claim, the insurance company would have taken it from there as to finding fault and collecting payment.

It this point. It takes more personal effort; and there is no guarantee of payment.

Your leverage for getting any payment is to follow the procedure the NH DMV outlined above. Assuming the trailer damage was $1000+ the state of NH will suspend, upon your written request, the drivers license and vehicle registration of the person at fault until payment is made.

15 hours ago, jhwentworth said:

Your leverage for getting any payment is to follow the procedure the NH DMV outlined above. Assuming the trailer damage was $1000+ the state of NH will suspend, upon your written request, the drivers license and vehicle registration of the person at fault until payment is made.

In the case of the insurance company... they do all the legal work.

Edited by John Mercier

9 minutes ago, John Mercier said:

In the case of the insurance company... they do all the legal work.

And you have no assurance of payment... because the other party might not have anything to pay with.

If they are not carrying insurance, they may be just sustaining themselves week-to-week.

Edited by John Mercier

On 1/8/2018 at 1:48 PM, PolarisCobra said:

The trailer coverage must vary by state. I checked, and have been told that my trailer is covered in an accident if it is connected to my truck, on my MA policy. 

I have a NH policy and my agent also told me that my trailer was covered as long as it was attached to my truck. I added the trailer to my sled policy to cover it when its not in use (tree, theft, etc...). My brother got hit years ago and wrecked my trailer and his insurance paid for the trailer and they went after the guy that hit him.

Sorry to hear about your crappy day, but glad you're ok.  I have my trailer on my auto policy.

Went out and bought a SnoPro 101x12 Hybrid from HK Powersports. Picking it up Saturday. Borrowing a neighbor's truck.

Now I gotta wait on my truck, no new beds available countrywide, or any used beds either.

Fun Fun Fun

Contact a Lawyer about legal action against her. I am being told by law enforcement this might not be as easy to file suit as you may thin.

Stay Tuned...