Sign in to follow this  
Skip

OVSC announces major trail system closure!

Recommended Posts

I've been a long time member of OVSC, and let my membership lapse for a few seasons when I sold my sled. I had just rejoined last week and am looking for a new ride when the notice below was posted on their website today. This is very sad news. The OVSC consistently provides some of the best riding conditions and scenic vistas in their area of the State, and I always considered them to be the gateway club to the White Mountains. I plan to roll up my sleeves and get back involved with those that hope their still might be a way to get a viable workaround trail.

Sadly, I think these drastic land closures will become the norm for many clubs south of the notches.....

From the OVSC webpage:

• TRAILS UPDATE
As most of you know, last year one of our landowners informed the club that he would be closing his land to future use by snowmobiles. He said that we could use it one last time for that year – 2016-2017.
With that in mind, we spent a lot of time looking for a way around his property. After many walks in the woods and making contact with new landowners, we were able to flag a trail so landowners could see where the trail would cross their property. All landowners agreed to allow a new trail on their property. Last year, with the help of a lot of members, on the weekends and during the week, we were able to cut and brush out a 2.7 mile trail before the snow came. This past spring we applied for a grant from the state to complete this trail, and were awarded the grant. I can’t thank you all enough for your time and hard work to make this happen.
Now I have to be the bearer of bad news. Over the past several weeks, we have been informed by two other landowners that they will be closing their property to future use next year. This is a big kick in the butt. This property would have been the continuation of that 2.7 mile reroute. Without access to this property, we would end up with a trail to nowhere. All the time and hard work by everyone – only to have this happen. When we heard this, we started looking for a way around this land, but as of right now, there is no way around this closure.
So what does this mean for our trails? First, you will not be able to get to any trails beyond the gate at the end of Black Pond Rd. leaving from Canoe King or White Lake State Park. That gate will remain closed, as will the two gates where the trail crosses Rte. 113. You can still get to Barton’s Motor Sports.
As for the trails going to the Fire Tower, James Pond, Wonalancet, and trails to Sandwich, we are looking for parking in those areas, and as we find available parking, we will keep you informed. We have a few areas in mind, but need to check them out.
You can still get to Corridor 19 north and south and Corridor 15 to the Castle.
As far as grooming is concerned, we will still be grooming Corridor 19 and Barton’s Cutoff, White Lake State Park, and down to the turnaround by the gate on Black Pond Rd. before you go into the woods.
We will make every effort to get a groomer to the rest of the trails that have been cut off by the closures.
As we get more information, we will put it on our web site. Thank you for your patience. We still have over 50 miles of trails, and we will continue working to find a way around this closure.
Thank you
George Kaye, President

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these closures just because the landowners have new plans for their property?  Or are they fed up with snowmobilers who don't respect the privilege of access to their land?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when we find a re-route around the section of corridor 22 closed by the rail road, we hear about another getting closed. This is bad news. I hope another way around is negotiated.

BTW-- Where is Black Pond Rd?   I can't find the road or Trail mentioned.

 

Edited by ultrarider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Pond Road is the main trail that exits White Lake State Park and brings you west into the main part of the OVSC trail system, and eventually connecting you to the Sandwich system and points further west and north, such as Squam and the Plymouth areas.

OT, I think it was a combination of factors including off trail riding, litter, damage done by ATV and illegal mudders, and sadly some politics revolving around the CMI raceway in Tamworth. 

If the Club eventually folds due to lack of trails, I wonder what will also happen to the dog sled races and cross country ski events that relied heavily on the Club to keep the trails opened and groomed? The domino effect could be quite drastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news, sorry for all the wasted effort. Even sorrier that people don't play by the rules and contribute to closures such as this. Hate politics ! Hope news such as this does not become the norm..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skip said:

Black Pond Road is the main trail that exits White Lake State Park and brings you west into the main part of the OVSC trail system, and eventually connecting you to the Sandwich system and points further west and north, such as Squam and the Plymouth areas.

OT, I think it was a combination of factors including off trail riding, litter, damage done by ATV and illegal mudders, and sadly some politics revolving around the CMI raceway in Tamworth. 

If the Club eventually folds due to lack of trails, I wonder what will also happen to the dog sled races and cross country ski events that relied heavily on the Club to keep the trails opened and groomed? The domino effect could be quite drastic!

Since I haven't been involved with the club for several years now I'm not sure if that issue was the problem with this landowner or not. I do know when I was involved with OVSC there was one landowner that demanded OVSC publicly state that they were against CMI, or they were going to close their land to snowmobiles. The club voted not to take a stand one way or the other, and the landowner eventually backed down. That landowner is not the same one that the club is referring to now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to get some lobbying help from the sled dog group, and the cross country skiers? 

If the closure is due to off trail riding, and other disrespect of the landowner, it would be a real shame, but I can't say I would blame the landowner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ckf said:

Since I haven't been involved with the club for several years now I'm not sure if that issue was the problem with this landowner or not. I do know when I was involved with OVSC there was one landowner that demanded OVSC publicly state that they were against CMI, or they were going to close their land to snowmobiles. The club voted not to take a stand one way or the other, and the landowner eventually backed down. That landowner is not the same one that the club is referring to now. 

John makes a good point, as I haven't attended a Club meeting in several years and am getting my information third hand. I have since rejoined the Club and hope to make the October meeting to see first hand if their is a way to work around this issue.

The issue started when a landowner, after many years, closed his property after last season. A major re-route was started and after much money and effort was expended, two key landowners that would need to grant permission for the reroute to cross their property have also stated that permission would end after this season, giving no (current) viable access to continue the reroute.

As pointed out, the trails left isolated would still be accessible by trailering to key parking areas.

Hopefully, over this season, a plan can be effected to mitigate the loss and possibly find a new access to these cherished trails!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PolarisCobra said:

Is it possible to get some lobbying help from the sled dog group, and the cross country skiers? 

If the closure is due to off trail riding, and other disrespect of the landowner, it would be a real shame, but I can't say I would blame the landowner. 

From what a friend told me they did mention to the landowner that closing their property to sleds would also result in an end to the Sled Dog race through the area.

2 minutes ago, Skip said:

John makes a good point, as I haven't attended a Club meeting in several years and am getting my information third hand. I have since rejoined the Club and hope to make the October meeting to see first hand if their is a way to work around this issue.

The issue started when a landowner, after many years, closed his property after last season. A major re-route was started and after much money and effort was expended, two key landowners that would need to grant permission for the reroute to cross their property have also stated that permission would end after this season, giving no (current) viable access to continue the reroute.

As pointed out, the trails left isolated would still be accessible by trailering to key parking areas.

Hopefully, over this season, a plan can be effected to mitigate the loss and possibly find a new access to these cherished trails!

The problem is going to be that there aren't a bunch of landowners in that area. They are large chunks of land owned by a few people. One nearby landowner asked the club to move the trail off his property years ago when he got tired of sleds going off trail and riding on his private runway. I doubt that would be an option again :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The former Bureau of Trails supervisor, Warren Harrington,  told us over ten years ago that it wouldn't be long before land closures in the area  would break up connecting trail. He said Bear Notch wouldn't be the only cutoff trail system in the state. Even if OVSC can find a parking area for people to ride from, I don't see many people trailering to ride approximately 20 miles of trails. The part that really sucks is that there was probably well over $150,000, and many man hours in bridges and trail improvements done out there in the 10 years I was involved in the club. Really sad to think that was all done for nothing :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Posted on: winnipesaukee.com

OVSC ANNOUNCES MAJOR TRAIL SYSTEM CLOSURE!

Here is a link to SLedNH that most of "US" do not want to read.

 

Thanks to all you inconsiderate "BUMS" that refuse to "STAY ON THE TRAILS!

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.p...comment-101667

Keep it up and we'll all be riding in Pittsburg!

 

**********************

Use this is the Post to winnipesaukee.com to see what other Snowmobilers are thinking on this matter 

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22594

 

Edited by WINNOCTURN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Too bad there isn't a statewide organization that could step in and help out with this situation :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, snorander said:

 Too bad there isn't a statewide organization that could step in and help out with this situation :rolleyes:

The response of the NHSA has been that trail creation and service is the responsibility of the clubs. It would seem that they don't understand that trails are central to snowmobiling in New Hampshire, and their continued existence. Can the NHSA continue to exist with Coos County having the only viable trail system in New Hampshire?  Would Coos County even need the NHSA? 

I'll admit it, I'm not a supporter of a state-wide trail system when it appears that southern clubs won't receive sufficient snow cover to justify the cost of trail maintenance, but trails aren't based on weather alone. Trails require land that isn't developed, land that isn't so desirable for development that allowing sleds there will cost serious money. Yeah, it something to do with folks disrespecting landowners, but it also has something to do with rural lands becoming attractive to development.

 

What will NHSA do to address this issue?

I'd imagine the answer to that question is "not much." Have you ever heard heard the NHSA speak to the issue other than saying it's a club problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WINNOCTURN said:

 

Posted on: winnipesaukee.com

OVSC ANNOUNCES MAJOR TRAIL SYSTEM CLOSURE!

Here is a link to SLedNH that most of "US" do not want to read.

Thanks to all you "Bastards" that refuse to "STAY ON THE TRAILS!

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.p...comment-101667

Keep it up and we'll all be riding in Pittsburg!

 

Is it just me ? Couldn't get the link to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years back a wealthy guy named Malone bought about 1 million acres of land in Maine and New Hampshire. Only 23,000 acres (about 36 square miles) were in New Hampshire, so it didn't make a big splash here. NPR did a story on this land purchase that describes the new owners of northern NH land and how they may want to capture a return on investment.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/new-hampshire/2011/10/13/2505/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to hear this news! I spent a lot of time working on those trails for a couple of years and got to really like the system. I would drive down there for work parties from Pittsburg and get there at 7:30 am work my ass off with OT, CKF, ShortFuse900 (Skip) have a bit to eat in the afternoon and drive home. That group thought I was crazy enough that they made me VP for OVSC for a couple of years, which I really enjoyed. I sincerely hope that someone can find a way to work this out, as it would be a real waste to lose such a great part of the state.

path:(finder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Saluda said:

Is it just me ? Couldn't get the link to work.

I neglected to add this link so you could see what others were saying.

WINNOCTURN

**********************

Use this is the Post to winnipesaukee.com to see what other Snowmobilers are thinking on this matter 

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22594

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this