Sign in to follow this  
pathfinder

January 2017 Eagle River WI

August is a strange time to bring up something that happened this past winter, but here goes: As most of you know I am an older guy that is into vintage sleds and vintage racing. I grew up in the 60's and 70's reading the sled mags and all the activity at the World Championships in Eagle River, WI. Never thought I'd get there, but a phone call from a friend changed all that in a hurry. M y friend Chet asked me if I would like to come with him and a friend to try and qualify for the Vintage World Championships, competing with two sleds that five days before we left were bare chassis. I said "hell ya'" . Thousand mile ride through Canada and Upper Peninsula of MI brought us to the scenic area of Eagle River. Checked into hotel, 1/4 mile from the track, which is a real piece of work, 13 degree banks, wide turns, heated hot boxes for spectators, totally organized and maintained by the legendary Decker family. Worked on the super mod 340 and 440 for 3 days before qualifying on Friday morning. The motors were highly modified
"Decker" built beauties that were morphed into 78 El Tigre Chassis's that were spotless and had new tracks. Friday morning arrived at a balmy 3 degrees and qualifying began, 68 sleds getting 2 solo laps on a glass track against the clock, first 34 would move to the next round. Driver, Spencer Landry, had lots of experience racing on snow but never ice, had drawn second up on the smooth track and by the end had qualified 29. Simply Amazing! Rest of the weekend we competed in about 8 classes, just to get some ice time on the new sleds.

The scale of what goes on out there is hard to imagine. We had set up in the pits next to a six man team from Sweden, who were just a hoot, always smiling and working on four sleds all different brands that did well. Also met racers from all over Canada, Wyoming, Alaska, who were all very friendly and couldn't help each other enough, sometimes sharing motor parts between heats. Hope to get there again, and see new friends and feel the energy that just surrounds you. Here's a link that will give you some idea of what is infectious. Our sleds were 67M, Cats, one green, one black.

Pathfinder

Great stuff, you must have had a fantastic time. Looks like a really professionally run event.