Sign in to follow this  
Freedom Rider

Letter from respected Past County Director

17 hours ago, jhwentworth said:

Hi PolarisCobra,

Don't be embarrassed about getting confused about the roles the various players in this game take. For many years NH F&G has owned the registration process, law enforcement, search & rescue, and safety education. The Bureau of Trails does trails of many types. Several years ago the accounting arm of the NH legislature (the Legislative Budget Assistant or LBA) told F&G they needed to provide an audit trail for the public revenues from the registrations, which included the granting of discounts to NHSA affiliated clubs' members. The NHSA created the database of club memberships.The repercussions of that process are still continuing. The BoT has been moved to another state agency, but, I think, their mission remains the same. Information on this move hasn't been updated on agency web sites. 

As for the Granite State Snowmobile Association, I think I'm in the majority in knowing nothing about them. More significantly, Almighty Google doesn't know anything about them, and that means the GSSA is well underground. To replicate the current club infrastructure would be difficult, and under current state law a club that defected from the NHSA wouldn't be able to offer their members the registration discount.

I'm waiting for a public reaction to the announced termination of the online club membership database from NH F&G. If if does go missing, F&G will have to come up with another way to provide that audit trail the LBA demanded. The attraction of the current club membership process to F&G is that NHSA created and maintains the database and the clubs provide data input. F&G gets the final product.

George (Winnocturn) has stated the issues some clubs have with the online database, but many individual members, especially non-residents, find it convenient.

Finally, in response to your comment that " I think it's more critical to refocus the NHSA on where it's core mission", I think that before we try that we should decide what that core mission is.

The original mission was:

ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
A. To promote and foster snowmobiling as a sport and recreation for its members.
B. To aid and guide in the enacting of sensible legislation governing snow traveling
vehicles and related activities.
C. To exchange ideas, trail information, group activities and information pertinent to the
welfare of snowmobiling.
D. To create and maintain, mark and map a system of trails for the use of snowmobiles.
E. To educate its members on good conduct, sportsmanship, safety and conservation
practices.
F. To publish the newsletter, “Sno-Traveler,” of which a copy of each issue shall be sent
to each member of the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association (NHSA).
G. To promote snowmobile tourism in New Hampshire.

You can do, or not do, a lot of things under that mission statement.

What's your #1 priority in the above list? #2? #3

Thanks for the clarification. I also did a google search for GSSA, found nothing. I would say that my highest priority for the NHSA mission would be #2 & #3 (B & C) in the list above, but everything on that list seems appropriate. 

As I said, I think a second organization would cause fragmentation that would be bad for the sport in the end. I do agree that the NHSA seems to have lost it's way, and maybe the place to start fixing things is to get the County Directors to insure that thier voice is heard. More transparency wouldn't hurt either. 

Also, based on some of the comments that follow the message above, I think there are benefits for all of us joining the NHSA when we register, and I'm disappointed that the clubs and state organization could not sort out a way to keep the online registration option open.  

Having been in the middle of the Pittsburg Ridge Runners for quite a few years, as VP, SEC, Board Member, I can remember going to a lot of NHSA meetings and county meetings.  These meetings always left me with an uneasy feeling that "The Lights Are On But Nobody's Home".  I have said some  rather strong criticisms of the organization, with just cause, but this letter has confirmed all of those uneasy feelings I had back then.

"•  Since 2006 the biggest negative to the sport of snowmobiling in the state of New Hampshire has been the executive  board    of  the NHSA."

For someone from the inner circle of things to make a statement that Direct and Powerful in meaning shows a lot of guts, and caring for the organization. It also shows how much of a jam the mishandling of the organization has gotten all of us into. The answer, or cure to this unfortunate situation is neither simple, nor clear.  It is clear, however, that something has to be done to rein in the "runaway egos" who think they can do no wrong, and should answer to no one.

pathfinder

Picture 1_2.jpg

NHSA and Fish and Game Sharing Data?

It was said at one time that NHSA needed to create the new online Membership Database was a needed to link the NHSA Data with the Fish and Game Database.

I have said in this and several other Threads that there was no compelling need to link Data and no link exist with Fish and Game.

This morning I had a phone conversation with a "high ranking" member of fish and asked this question of them. They replied there is absolutely no link either to their Database nor NHSA's Database. Not before or even now.

As I have stated before Security protocols would never allow this to happen.

Edited by WINNOCTURN

Then you might want to converse with someone higher up...

And by ''link''; I did not mean a direct electronic link. I meant a way to meet the LBA verification process linking membership to membership discounted registrations. The lists of the two should be identical for a perfect audit.

Because all this money runs through the State budget process - even when it is a fee assigned to a specific purpose - it is subject to financial audit. 

1) John is no longer with Fish and Game. He retired a few months ago.

2) What does any of this back and forth have to do with the Letter that is the topic of this thread?

3) Does Hijacking a thread mean anything?

4) I tend to think that when Small Engine Guy (moderator) made a post and closed a few threads earlier this spring, this is what he was referring to at the time.

Unfortunately in this and similar other countless threads, many of which I've participated, we are truly beating a dead horse here.

The answer to all that allegedly ails the NHSA is very, very simple. It's not the AG's Office (I highly doubt, that in the end, the AG will take any action of importance  against the NHSA), it's not forming a second association...nor boycotting the existing association. The power to rectify what some (including myself) perceive is wrong has always been in the hands of the County directors, and all stakeholders at the annual meeting.

The simple answer is that a majority of the County directors do not see a need for any major changes or shakeups in Tilton. Same at the annual meetings, where year after year rumors lead up to each meeting that a coup is in the making, only to have the annual meeting turn out as tame as your average house cat. Regrettably the vast majority of the NHSA membership is unaware of the organization they belong to, and therefore do not participate by default.

Until enough members feel that a significant change is warranted, and reflect that by electing County directors that reflect their desire for change, five years from now we'll still be reading threads about what action the AG may take, anonymous letters to the board and the annual concerns regarding the Grass Drags and Easter Seals events!

On 8/5/2017 at 7:00 PM, RK-SXViper said:

I want to clarify one paragraph in this letter.

" Six months or so ago I asked my county director, assistant and another county director to ask a question for me, dissolution of funds, what happens to the money if the NHSA fails? They never asked the question because they did not want to be the bad guys. They wanted to be liked by everyone, and they knew that they would be blasted for asking such a question and that the NHSA would never fail."

This question was not asked because we had other more important issues to deal with and didn't feel like fueling someones personal agenda! I DON'T care if I'm liked or not, and making that statement about a couple directors is just plain IGNORANT! And for the record the next time this individual wants a letter like this read to the board he needs to grow a PAIR and read it to them himself!!

Clarification of your clarification.pdf

The GSSA was the earliest version of the NHSA. The NHSA name needed to be purchased from a local club; I think they ended up being willing to change their name without a battle.

Skip,

I think the problem is that many are not willing to accept the trend line...

All the associations are trying to fight it off... but in the end, it will get us.

NH has a terrible collective FiSt score, and most of our members come from NH.

New England has a terrible FiSt score, and the remainder of our members almost exclusively come from New England.

Totally agree John...the financial house of cards that the current system is built on in NH is starting its collapse. I saw that trend back when I was Vice President of the NHSA, and I know for a fact that key members in DRED and BoT are aware of the impeding collapse of a continuous trail system in the southern half of the state, with segmentation probably beginning to occur south of Coos County in the next decade. When you look at the big picture, that given the changing State demographics, the long term negative weather patterns coupled with the costs of getting into the sport given the ever growing lack of disposable recreational income the sport needs, the battles with the NHSA are a waste of time and effort. While I believe the NHSA could do a much better job of attracting and engaging its membership, in the end the effect is akin to rearranging the  deck chairs on the Titanic...

1 hour ago, dbcopeland said:

Dave

Here is what you sent me:

Hello Everyone,

Attached, please find a letter I wrote concerning the current affairs of NHSA that I would like you to read ASAP.
Please forward on to anyone you feel would like to read it also.

Call or Email me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
David Copeland

Since you decided to blind copy everyone else you sent this to I took this to mean that you wanted Don and I to read this to the board. My only issue with your letter was where you tried to chuck Don and I under the bus for not asking your question. Now if you had mentioned the fact that the charity was in trouble then your question about where the funds go would have made more sense and would have added clarity to what seemed to be your personal agenda. The "ignorant" part of your letter was where you stated that your question was not asked because Don and I were afraid and wanted to be liked. As far as my last sentence about you growing a pair and reading your letter yourself, well that was basically the response of the board to you. In all of this you have never reached out to me but you call Don looking for clarification, well if you have an issue please feel free to call me and we can talk.

1 hour ago, John Mercier said:

The GSSA was the earliest version of the NHSA. The NHSA name needed to be purchased from a local club; I think they ended up being willing to change their name without a battle.

Skip,

I think the problem is that many are not willing to accept the trend line...

All the associations are trying to fight it off... but in the end, it will get us.

NH has a terrible collective FiSt score, and most of our members come from NH.

New England has a terrible FiSt score, and the remainder of our members almost exclusively come from New England.

Actually the NHSA was the earliest registered name of the name of NHSA. They had to make an agreement with Snowmobiles of NH Inc. for the use of it. They had to get a charter from them that expired in 1977.

The same happened with NHOHVA. Orignally NHOHVA wanted to be the NH ATV Association - but a local club had the name tied up at the Secretary of State, and having a name that close in comparison would not work. So names were floated as an agreement was being worked on with the NH ATV club. The club refused to agree, and the association went with one of the names that was floated during it initial formation - Granite State ATV Association. A lot of differing reasons were presented as to why the change to the NH OHV Association - such as confusing at the national organization level, not being inclusive of the trail bike constituency, and even one suggesting the change was an attempt to confuse snowmobiles into joining it and replacing the NHSA. To this day, I do not know of the actual reason for the change.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. All the associations are being presented with the same problem, a significant number of participants in each community that are feeling the economic pinch of day-to-day life and are aging without enough financial assets to cushion retirement.

As that happens, they begin looking for the cheapest way out.

When the NHSA first came out with the membership registration discount, it became the envy of every other STAC member. They all wanted something like it, but many didn't even have a registration program for the State to discount. 

But in the end, we all have the same problem... people looking for the cheapest way to participate in their chosen form of recreation; and when it isn't cheap enough, just leaving...

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Skip said:

Unfortunately in this and similar other countless threads, many of which I've participated, we are truly beating a dead horse here.

:rolleyes: