Sign in to follow this  
Saluda

Bear

Seems a few are showing themselves recently in Freedom (NH). Been time to pull the feeders in.

Edited by Saluda

One of my cousins just posted a pic on Facebook, bear in their backyard. They live in central CT. 

There's no question that central/southern New Hampshire has a lot of bears, deer, turkeys, coyotes, and bobcats, and that these critters have become very acclimated to humans. They view us as food sources, not a threat, and that explains why they're in your backyard. The widespread feeding of birds has been a huge help to all  five of these critters, although the bobcats profited mostly from eating the squirrels that use the birdfeeders. They, and the bears,  also profited by the increase of people raising chickens. Wild animals are very adaptable, probably more so than we humans. A bear views a suburban chicken coop like we would a Kentucky Fried Chicken, and considers a dumpster a take-out joint. 

We have a typical hummingbird feeder mounted on a metal pole off of our deck railing, quite a distance. We have  a bear figure out that all he has to do is climb onto the deck, grab the pole, swing it in towards him, tip it towards him, drink it dry and leave to be refilled. We have been trying to cover his path with cayenne pepper, to thwart his interest, and it works until the rain washes the pepper away. Maybe time to bring the feeder in and piss off the hummingbirds. Wish they could all "just get along".............

path B)finder#6

Little off topic but it also seems to be a banner year for ticks.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:33 AM, PolarisCobra said:

I wonder what would happen if you filled it with salt water?

That would probably take care of the bears interest, but probably kill the hummers.........

path B)finder#6

I wondered about that. I am guessing the hummers wouldn't drink it, but that may not be the case. Kind of funny that such a tiny animal, and a large one are looking for the same food.