Freedom Rider

NHSA dream has ended

As many of you may remember that the current regime in Tilton decided  to file suit against the New Hampshire Attorney Generals office back in January. Well they got their answer on April.  26th.

It was not the answer that they dreamed about. They have to follow the laws, as we all do, after all.

The presiding judge has dismissed their suit. Hopefully they will just realise they are not as smart as they think they are.They meaning the chosen few who ignore common sense and are leading the Association down the drain. I find that for the most part the average Director cares passionately for the sport and it's members. Too bad they get lied to constantly by the leadership and most just go along with what ever they are told.

This wild goose chase just shows how broken this association is. I reached out to a few directors to see if they were informed of the judge's decision by the leadership. Of course they were not. Just like when the Vice President quit and the Executive Director quit. No news to the directors or members. When does it stop? Maybe it is time for the "leadership" to quit and see if anybody misses them. I bet some information would finally get out then. Time will only tell when the PREZ and the HASBEENS get their asses hauled into court and the truth comes out.

Kinda anxious to see Union Leaders article about this. Should be interesting. At our county meeting last Monday, when asked about what was going on with suit we were told it was not a suit and it would be a few more months for the scheduling of the hearings. I fee badly for the Directors having to stand there and give out the bogus info that they are given by the Associations Executive Officer.

Happy reading the truth from the source and not being spoon feed the shit that is coming out of Tilton. I would advise everyone to really give some thought to not joining the NHSA and instead give the $10.00 to their club. It is obvious that the way the Association is throwing away money on things like this suit and the cruise around Lake Winni this weekend on the "S.S. FU2" that they don't need anymore of it's members money.They clearly don't care about it's members, supporters, or it's clubs. The money wasted could have been better utilized in programs to help clubs and our dieing sport!

NH.pdfNH.pdf

Edited by Freedom Rider
Typo

Thanks for posting the PDF containing the court ruling. It appears that the NHSA got tripped up by a lack of standing to proceed with the case. The court seems to have kicked the can down the road by refusing to hear the case because the NHSA couldn't demonstrate that they had been harmed by the state, nor was any immediate harm threatened. Like a good basketball ref might say, "no harm, no foul." 

Thanks for the info.

Page 1, Note 1.

This says it all.

Note 1.docx

590b1bea8f6ad_note1a.png.ff5ee6f6bc90fccb59e37eb5abd46928.png

Edited by WINNOCTURN

From page 2

"NHSA has this uniform pricing to "save the extra expense that would be entailed by offering separate prices online for individual club memberships"

I asked the question "what would it cost to adjust the online system to allow clubs to set their own dues fee" and was told it would cost NOTHING. I'm getting really tired of getting different answers every time I turn around!! 

Word going around is that at the Strafford County meeting there were papers with info going around the room from the NHSA seeking to raise the NH Snowmobile Registration fee to $200.00 per sled. Are these people leading this organization on drugs? I know there is money available to fight the drug crisis.If they need money that bad maybe they should go there.

The sport is dieing. People are leaving going to Maine and Vermont. Do they honestly think having a registration increase at this time is the answer?

How many here would pay $200.00 a year to register a sled to ride in NH? I am sure that there will be some who think the clubs will see all of this money coming to them but that is not the case. The clubs only chance of seeing a dime is thru reimbursement from Grant in Aid, just as it always has been.GIA is not spread uniformly though. The majority is used in the North Country. To the Lakes and south, sorry you are shit out of luck. Trails Bureau and Fish and Game will get more funding for their depts for sure.

How will it help the clubs? They will lose members who choose not to ride in NH. Will the thrill of higher reg. fee increasing the GIA funding be bigger than that of the immediate everyday source of funding for the clubs?That being membership money? Easy solution actually. Get rid of NHSA money grab. Send the $10.00 to club you join. They will be seeing a increase of 33% +- in dues. That is guaranteed money unlike GIA. No snow = no grooming money. No one makes any money from Gia trail project money. It only funds materials for trail projects.

40 minutes ago, RK-SXViper said:

From page 2

"NHSA has this uniform pricing to "save the extra expense that would be entailed by offering separate prices online for individual club memberships"

I asked the question "what would it cost to adjust the online system to allow clubs to set their own dues fee" and was told it would cost NOTHING. I'm getting really tired of getting different answers every time I turn around!! 

That line equals "price fixing= violation of Sherman Act= Anti Trust" Nothing like building a case against one's own self. Brilliant. Can't make this stuff up.

I feel sorry for the abuse that you guys get Rob for having to tow the company line, with all of this crap. I will assume that by your statement that maybe what you guys voted on this. But what you were told is not what really is happening?

Thank you for posting the decision Jeff.

Really not too complicated. A group filed an inquiry with the Charitable Trust division to ascertain whether the on line fixed pricing was legal. The AG's office began a preliminary inquiry (no criminal complaint was filed and the AG had not begun a criminal investigation). The NHSA was faced with two simple choices. Simply cooperate with the AG, answer any questions they had, and provide information as to why they thought the fixed pricing was allowed under their charter and applicable State and Federal law. Most likely if the AG didn't concur a simple verbal correction (at no cost to anyone) could have rectified the situation. Unfortunately the organization took a hostile stance against the AG's office and spent thousands of precious membership dollars  in a futile battle that was totally unnecessary. Now, if the AG moves forward against the organization, thousands more will need to be spent essentially doubling or trickling a legal bill that could have been zero.

As in the snowmobile community, there seems to be three schools of thought here when it comes to the NHSA. In the middle are the vast majority that just don't care either way. And in the minority on either side are those that adamantly defend whatever action the NHSA takes versus the other side that consistently challenges the organization when it feels the NHSA has acted improperly or illegally.

But there is one simple concept that the NHSA and its supporters choose to ignore at their own peril. And that is the belief that the NHSA is a private organization free to do what it wants behind closed or slightly open doors, and that if you are not a dues paying member of the organization you have no standing to question or complain.

Of course nothing could be further from the truth. The NHSA operates as a non-profit organization and receives special privileges from both the State and Federal government especially in the area tax relief. Because it freely chose to pursue those options, it agreed to leave its books and most of its operational decisions open to scrutiny of any citizen, regardless of club or NHSA affiliation. It means it has a special corporate and fiduciary responsibility to be open and honest not only with its membership, but also of any citizen inquiries or concerns.

In my opinion the organization has consistently failed in the past to meet those standards, and this latest ruling confirms that it still continues to do so today. As a past board member and sitting vice president of the NHSA, painfully aware of the attitude and conduct of former and current officer within the organization, I firmly believe that this is only going to end very badly for the organization already beginning to feel the effects of a sport that has gone well past its half life..

And for that reason alone any citizen,  not just snowmobilers, of the State of New Hampshire should be not only concerned but saddened by what has become of the NHSA.

Just read that the cost of a cruise on the Mount Washington per person with no meals is $32.00 per person. Wonder what the cruise that Gilligan and the Skipper are going on is going to cost snowmobilers in New Hampshire ?

Jeff,

It has been my thought all along that the Mount Washington is not the "PROPER PLACE" to hold any kind of "Business Meeting", especially an ANNUAL MEETING.

I thought I heard there is not enough room in the Main Dinning Salon to hold all that may attend?

It may have been better to make it a FUND RASIER. How much of the $15,000 is left after the Courts Ruling?

Sunday Weather Forcast

Day

Water Temperature at 2 ft: 48°F

58°HiRealFeel® 59°      Precipitation 56%
Intervals of clouds and sunshine with a shower

S 7 mph

Gusts: 10 mph

• Max UV Index: 4 (Moderate)
  • Thunderstorms: 20%
  • Precipitation: 0.08 in
  • Rain: 0.08 in
  • Snow: 0 in
  • Ice: 0 in
  • Hours of Precipitation: 1.5 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 1.5 hrs

Todays Temperatures 5/4/17

Air Temperature: 60.5°

Water Temperature at 2 ft: 48°F

Wind from 132° at 8 mph

Edited by WINNOCTURN

6 hours ago, Freedom Rider said:

Just read that the cost of a cruise on the Mount Washington per person with no meals is $32.00 per person. Wonder what the cruise that Gilligan and the Skipper are going on is going to cost snowmobilers in New Hampshire ?

No worries...  I'm sure Mr & Mrs Howell will pick up the check.

0efa0acf0e8bdd0f80da583bfec66ffe.jpg

:whistle:

Edited by Old Thumper

1 hour ago, Old Thumper said:

No worries...  I'm sure Mr & Mrs Howell will pick up the check.

0efa0acf0e8bdd0f80da583bfec66ffe.jpg

:whistle:

Gilligan and the Skipper are probably in the closet together.

To be fair - Everyone knows the weather can be unpredictable this early in the season. I don't know when the regular season starts for the Mt Washington, but I would guess that they don't get a lot of traffic before Memorial Day. I am hoping that the NHSA got a good deal by renting the whole boat tor the day, and that the cost is comparable to holding the meeting at a hotel or resort (ever priced a wedding dinner at one of those places?)

None of that matters to the bigger problems the NHSA is having, I would prefer to focus on those, and there are plenty. I have to agree that I have not see evidence of them doing much to help the average sledder in the last few years. The charity stuff is all well and good, and  it is a wonderful thing to support, but seems to get too much focus. 

I like the idea of the portal for joining a club, it really does make it easier for me living down here in Mass. I look forward to a future step where I can also register sleds on the same portal. I'm OK with leveling the pricing, I do think that lots of people would just choose the club with the lowest price, even if its not the best thing for the sport, that is just human nature. 

I would like to see more publicity about things like off-trail riding (the kind that gets trails closed), keeping our sleds quiet (to keep trails open), safety and etiquette (like not leaving trash around). Maybe some stories about the trails in different parts of the state, with info about parking, food and lodging options with trail access. I like to explore different areas, some tips about that would be really interesting to me. 

" The charity stuff is all well and good, and  it is a wonderful thing to support, but seems to get too much focus."

I completely agree. Their focus seems to be more about raising money for the Easter Seals when it should be about snowmobiling.

A popular term today is transparency, or, more specifically, organizational transparency. You'll usually see this term put out by organizations doing damage control for some nasty business that leaked out to the public. Before public awareness of this nasty business, the organization believed that protecting their image by controlling information was the way to go, but suddenly they remember that transparency is really their bedrock principle. You'll know that the NHSA has reached this point when their website contains a link to their last 3 IRS Form 990's (annual returns). IRS rules require a non-profit to make them available for public viewing and copying, but the rules don't require that the non-profit make it easy to do. 

Wouldn't be hard to do, unless the forms are being created on an old Remington typewriter or with quill pen and parchment. I suspect there's a copy of MS Word somewhere around NHSA HQ.

51 minutes ago, jhwentworth said:

A popular term today is transparency, or, more specifically, organizational transparency. You'll usually see this term put out by organizations doing damage control for some nasty business that leaked out to the public. Before public awareness of this nasty business, the organization believed that protecting their image by controlling information was the way to go, but suddenly they remember that transparency is really their bedrock principle. You'll know that the NHSA has reached this point when their website contains a link to their last 3 IRS Form 990's (annual returns). IRS rules require a non-profit to make them available for public viewing and copying, but the rules don't require that the non-profit make it easy to do. 

Wouldn't be hard to do, unless the forms are being created on an old Remington typewriter or with quill pen and parchment. I suspect there's a copy of MS Word somewhere around NHSA HQ.

You ask and you shall receive. The site only allows 1 file at a time due to size.Happy reading. Nice fiction in these.

2014-020279965-0aacce7a-9O.pdfTaxes filed Sept. 2014.pdf

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, Freedom Rider said:

Jeff,

I must have searched NHSA and 30 Club Website before I found anything about the Annual Meeting itinerary.

Cost $30.00

Board the Mount at11:00am, Lunch 11:30am, Mount leaves the dock at 12:30pm, returns 3:30pm.

I think I may go down to the Pier and wave bon voyage!

MAY 7th 2017 11am 

It's time for the 48th NHSA Annual Meeting - a time for gathering, meeting new friends and connecting with old ones. We will be voting on officers, important issues and socializing with New Hampshire's finest (and most generous) citizens! Who can wait to find out who will receive the awards for Lifetime Achievement, Snowmobiler of the Year, Groomer of the Year, Snowmobile Family of the Year, Junior Snowmobiler of the Year, Business of Year, and Club of the Year? Don't miss it! Remember to send in your nominations!
Please keep in mind, due to the unique nature of our venue this year, we will need to take care to adhere to our schedule.
This year, the annual NHSA meeting will be Sunday May 7th 2017, held aboard the MS Mount Washington. Registration/boarding will be from Weirs Beach at 11am with lunch from 11:30am to 1pm, with the boat leaving at 12:30. The meeting is expected to begin at 1:00 p.m and the boat returns approximntely 3:30 p.m.
Menu: Salads: Caesar & House Salad Entrees: London Broil w/ wild mushroom saace & Chicken Cordon Bleu. **Coffee service available throughout the meal and assorted desserts following the meal.
The fee per person, for anyone interested in attending is $30 per person.
The luncheon and/or meeting are open to all club members. All club members are welcome to enter into discussions, but only persons named as club delegates or named altemate delegates (replacing a delegate) may make motions, vote and otherwise participate in the business meeting.
Please contact the NHSA Office at 603-273-0220 or nhsaoffrce@nhsa.com with any questions.