Freedom Rider

Looks like Nh will lose a little more revenue next year.

Loudon is set to lose Fall "Chase" race.

What are your thoughts on the used to be so popular sport?

Snowmobiling is kinda headed in that direction with high costs, low volunteerism, and low snow winters.

http://nesn.com/2017/03/report-new-hampshire-motor-speedway-to-lose-september-nascar-race-in-2018/

I find Nascar harder to watch every year.  It always seems like they spend more time parading around behind the pace car than they spend racing.  If there is a drop of rain - caution flag.  If a hot dog wrapper blows across the track - caution flag.  If a car gets sideways - regardless of whether it interferes with anyone else or not - caution flag.  And once a caution comes out, it doesn't just last until the track is cleared....  They have to clear the track, then let EVERYONE go through pit lane, change tires, add fuel, have a snack, take a nap, then after another 5 laps the green flag comes out.  And now they have "Stages" - more caution laps whether they are needed or not.   :banghead:.  And then there is the classic Nascar Green, White, Train-Wreck, Checker finish.  Ugh :(

I don't watch NASCAR but sounds frustrating. I do try from time to time but can't get thru 20 laps

I don't think the transfer of the Nascar race has as much to do with fan support or the quality of the races as it has to do with financial support from local and state governments. Just like all the "major league" sports out there today, the folks putting on the sporting event expect local/state governments to provide subsidies in exchange for the financial benefits the sport provides to the area. Many NFL stadiums are paid for by taxpayers, and the same for baseball. The Smith family that operates SMI has a history of demanding financial support from local governments, and Las Vegas put up a bundle to bring this race there. It's the very definition of "pay to play."

A spokesman for SMI said  “When we see that the community is supportive of racing there, it’s definitely encouraging to us,” That community support is measured in cold, hard, cash.

Edited by jhwentworth

I've heard from more than one person that the numbers are down at pretty much all tracks.  I have not been to NHIS in well over 20 years but do sometimes go to the local small tracks. Definitely not the crowds like there were when I was a kid.

Not interested in NASCAR, hate big cities.

Sorry but NASCAR is far from dead. Attendance is down due to the lousy economy (thanx obama)...This year Daytona 500 was sold out...Atlanta was very near sold out.The biggest problem is how hotels GOUGE people for rooms durring race week.  I go to Watkins Glen every year , and to get a room in a holiday inn today costs 75$ a night but race week is over 300$ a night

Las Vegas gameing commission guarenteed 2million $ a year to nascar plus another 500,000 a year in promotional fees for the extra race..

NH had the record for most sold out races until the economic downturn.  Not sure how someone can call racing boring , and then turn around and watch a red sox game.. This will truly hurt the NH tourism in 2018 and beyond , and noone ( Gov sununu ) did a thing to speak against it

Sadly, this is the result of a long standing feud between abutting towns and the owners of the track.

It will affect the sport of snowmobiling as there are a couple of clubs who rely on earning money at these events. 1 big club in lakes region will lose 50% of its fundraising capability now with the date gone. There are clubs with part of their trail systems that lie on the track property.Many adjoining clubs as well.When the money slows down so will the working arrangements.

26 minutes ago, Yamiblue said:

noone ( Gov sununu ) did a thing to speak against it

Well, after the fact he did say:"We look forward to welcoming race fans to Loudon in July and partnering with NH Motor Speedway to identify new events that could call New Hampshire home.”

It's those "new events" that caused a lot of the conflict between the towns of Loudon and Canterbury and the track. There are town rules and past legal agreements with Canterbury residents (Concerned Racetrack Neighbors) that restrict concerts and other non-racing events, night time racing under lights, alcohol sales and consumption, "quiet times", number of major events,and drag racing.

Here's a long history of the track.

Any reason why 'Race into Winter' couldn't be done there? Don't know what the cost is to rent the current space, but it seems like setup would be easier, along with access. There is some sort of a body of water out back, might be usable for the watercross, must be anough space to set up grass drags there. Plenty of room, plenty of parking, real toilets. seems like it could be doable, no?

Probably be too much scrutiny on who would be taking the money. Town would have to ok it just like when they did winter event.Doubt you would,ever get DES approval of watercrossing in the Bumfaggon watershed. It feeds the Soucook River.

We went to the September race for years, but stopped going 5 or 6 years ago because of the boring racing. We went to the July race a few times, but it was a little to warm in the stands for me.

On 3/8/2017 at 7:48 PM, pekabu said:

I don't watch it, but when they were bought out that was what everyone was expecting to happen.

Exactly,if anyone thought that Bruton Smith gave a shit about what a bunch of Damn Yankees liked they were wrong.

But,NH got the second date when Bahre bought out 1/2 of Wilkesborough,so what goes around definately comes around.

On 3/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, Yamiblue said:

Sorry but NASCAR is far from dead. Attendance is down due to the lousy economy (thanx obama)...This year Daytona 500 was sold out...Atlanta was very near sold out.The biggest problem is how hotels GOUGE people for rooms durring race week.  I go to Watkins Glen every year , and to get a room in a holiday inn today costs 75$ a night but race week is over 300$ a night

Las Vegas gameing commission guarenteed 2million $ a year to nascar plus another 500,000 a year in promotional fees for the extra race..

NH had the record for most sold out races until the economic downturn.  Not sure how someone can call racing boring , and then turn around and watch a red sox game.. This will truly hurt the NH tourism in 2018 and beyond , and noone ( Gov sununu ) did a thing to speak against it

They killed the goose that laid the golden egg by death from a thousand cuts,not so many folks to gouge now is there?

On 3/9/2017 at 1:00 PM, PolarisCobra said:

enough space to set up grass drags there

No shortage of space there, it's the grass that's in short supply. Now, if you want gravel drags, no problem. Same thing for the asphalt drags, the 5-lane road would be excellent.