Sign in to follow this  
ultrarider

Lake Ice in Wakefield Riding Area

Hello-  Can anyone in the Wakefield Area tell me the Ice thickness of the lakes in that area?    Great East, Lake Ivanhoe, Balch Lake, Sandy Pond.  I like to go that way today 3/11/17, but not if the lakes are questionable.  Has there been any snowmobile traffic over them? Thanks

All the lakes/ponds mentioned are safe. (only my opinion, don't hold me to it, etc, etc)....but I would have no worries about riding any of those now.

That being said there are still a lot of water bars on the local trails, so keep a close eye out.

Have fun.

Doug

3 hours ago, prp77 said:

All the lakes/ponds mentioned are safe. (only my opinion, don't hold me to it, etc, etc)....but I would have no worries about riding any of those now.

That being said there are still a lot of water bars on the local trails, so keep a close eye out.

Have fun.

Doug

About those water bars.  

My son and I went for a ride today. We went up corridor 22 N. from the RR tracks (corridor 26). The trail was groomed overnight, so we thought we had a great ride to the tunnel under the tracks.  NOT!   After crossing Stoneham Rd, and following the power lines, I went Nose first and sunk the sled 2 -1/2 feet deep into a water bar (More like a hole) that was deceiving. It took my son and I all we could muster, to pull the sled out. Thankfully no damage to my brand new sled, only belly pan, and shock towers full of mud, muck and ice.  The seven lakes club should be aware of this. This water crossing should probably be bridged in the future, especially if the club is investing in a new trail to get around the closed RR track. At very least mention this in the trail condition report, because someone is going to wreak their sled, and get hurt if unaware of it. And No, I did not have fun.
Edited by ultrarider

There have been some nasty water bars this year, especially earlier this season.

Clubs in Quebec faithfully (and some here) hang yellow warning tape to warn riders of hazards.  Saved my ass more than once.