ckf

Official SledNH weather thread

There's a fall feel to the air here in the northeast corner of Vermont today. As of 2:30 PM it is sunny and 66°.

Quit making me jealous!!!!

The morning low was 47° today. Fall is right around the corner.

Looks like thunderstorms coming on Tuesday, but by Thursday there'll be a change.

From NWS Forecast Discussion:

High pressure will be in control at the surface beginning
Thursday and for several days fostering drier and cooler
conditions for late this week into early next week. Highs will
drop from the 70s and 80s Wednesday to the 60s and 70s which is
more in line with normal values for this time of year.

Precipitable water values generally drop below 0.60" or less
than 50% of the climatological normal during this time so there
should be some nights when we will see ample radiational cooling
as the high shifts closer overhead. Overnight lows will drop
into the 40s and 50s with some chilly mornings in the higher
elevations. This will be the first taste of fall for many
places.

Probably just a coincidence, but a couple days ago I finally got tired of looking at my old Karavan sled trailer that I retired three years ago after a spring collapsed. The metal pad on the axle that supports the spring had rusted out, so it's been sitting out back and rusting since then. I put it up on sawhorses and discovered that the trailer looks surprisingly good underneath, so a repair may be happening. A stretch of cool, dry weather may provide the energy needed to get it back on the road, as well as some other projects that need doing. Two weeks of cool weather and I might establish some bragging rights, although that isn't likely. 

Saturday morning (September 2) was our first frost for the season in Loudon. We had a low of 34° at 6:00am on two thermometers. The sensors for those thermometers are about 6' above ground level and very near the house. Out in the gardens it got cold enough to blacken the leaves on squash and sweet potato plants, and our vehicles and lawn had a coating of frost.  Yep, got to call it the first frost for Fall-2017, and the earliest frost in several years. Whitefield Airport recorded 32° Saturday morning, so I'd guess the gardens up there are gone.

Was chilly in the Burg Saturday morning, felt like fall for sure, some trees starting to show some color 

P9020010.JPG

P9020011.JPG